Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by Porter65 »

I thought the world was only limited by your physical memory? Or there is a limit like 65.536 in each direction?

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

Thanks. So 2.000.000 x 2.000.000
That's a lot indeed...

There is at a given moment only one expansion considered for biters. But the existing bases still grow, right? Do they use pollution for that?

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

Is there a way to highlight only power generation buildings on the map?
A few times I have wanted to see where the coal turbines, nuclear turbines, and solar panels are (to disconnect the first two with circuits). I know there's an "electrical" button, but that includes wires (which make up the vast majority of "power" objects). Thanks!
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

KyberHunter82
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by KyberHunter82 »

What is the best advice to get pass blue science? I have tried about 3 different factories but gave up on all of them because my factories were too messy. Any advice?
(Besides making my factory less messy.)

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

KyberHunter82 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:27 pm
What is the best advice to get pass blue science? I have tried about 3 different factories but gave up on all of them because my factories were too messy. Any advice?
(Besides making my factory less messy.)
Are you using a "bus"? That really simplifies things. Basically put resources on belts in straight rows, then pull resources off the lines using splitters...

bus.jpg
bus.jpg (193.15 KiB) Viewed 4883 times
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

Searching for a mod that add Signposts. But here is the catch, I want to read the (short) message) on map directly, not to have to click on the sign to read it. That's just to get me short reminders.

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

How do you mine ore under roboport ?
There's no way, right ?
There will be (at least) 4 tiles un-mined ore from laying driller as tight as possibly can, right ?

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

waduk wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:25 am
There's no way, right ?
There will be (at least) 4 tiles un-mined ore from laying driller as tight as possibly can, right ?
Correct!
Same is true for beacons (only 1 tile).

If you have bots, use them to move the whole setup by 2 tiles when there is only ore under the miners left.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Porter65 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:31 am
Searching for a mod that add Signposts. But here is the catch, I want to read the (short) message) on map directly, not to have to click on the sign to read it. That's just to get me short reminders.
Maybe something like text plates would work? https://mods.factorio.com/mod/textplates

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Zavian wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:45 am
Porter65 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:31 am
Maybe something like text plates would work? https://mods.factorio.com/mod/textplates
Depends on what is meant by "on map directly" -- the map mode entered when you press "M", or the normal view where you control your character's actions. The first one wouldn't work with textplates. As far as I know you can't see the textplates in the schematic overview.
In normal view, it depends again on what's meant by "short message". The small textplates use one tile per character, so even a short message consisting of just two or three words takes up a lot of horizontal space. However, I've made good experiences with using textplates for laying out my factory. I mark single lines of my main bus with small textplates, adjacent lines with big ones. Areas where I ghost-construct assembly lines for things I haven't researched yet I mark with big textplates on top -- but the word "BATTERIES", for example, is a bit wider than the array.

In conclusion: Textplates are great where space is unlimited. Real signs seem to be better in other cases. Alas, searching the portal I found mostly mods where signs could only display an icon (Dectorio), or where you had to click on a sign to read the actual text. The only mod providing signs that could be read directly is LogisticsSigns. However, that one wasn't even updated to Factorio 0.16, so it's not a real option. :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

Bauer wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:46 am
waduk wrote:
There's no way, right ?
Correct!

If you have bots, use them to move the whole setup by 2 tiles when there is only ore under the miners left.
Man, this is getting complicated; i need to figure out how to do this with Recursive Blueprint mod.
I don't think it can copy an area then re-deploy it.

ConMan Mod is more advanced than Recursive BP; it can copy an area as BP, but i have a hard time to understand how that mod works.

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

waduk wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:02 am
Bauer wrote:
waduk wrote:
There's no way, right ?
Correct!

Man, this is getting complicated; i need to figure out how to do this with Recursive Blueprint mod.

ConMan Mod is more advanced than Recursive BP; it can copy an area as BP, but i have a hard time to understand how that mod works.
With the new copy-and-paste feature (0.17) it became very easy:
-- Press CTRL-X
-- Mark the whole thing
-- move curser by 2 tiles
-- click. Q.

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

Bauer wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:14 pm
waduk wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:02 am
Bauer wrote:
waduk wrote:
There's no way, right ?
Correct!

With the new copy-and-paste feature (0.17) it became very easy:
-- Press CTRL-X
-- Mark the whole thing
-- move curser by 2 tiles
-- click. Q.
D'uh,..I mean automatically, no need to manual copy paste.
I use Recursive Blueprint mod that can deploy BP automatically.
It's also can shifted BP, problem is the BP must already exist, it cannot create BP on it's own.
That's why i said i need to figure out how to do this using ConMan, (Similar mod with Recursive Mod, but more advanced)

Case of use, just like i originally ask, it's to mined the last ore under roboport.
When the outpost is depleted, it will shifted the miner automatically.
But since every outpost is different, there's no way to do this universally, unless using ConMan that can create BP of an area automatically.
But i haven't figure out how to use ConMan.

zakman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by zakman »

Since updating to 0.17.x, I've noticed that sounds seem to be handled differently.

Specifically, sound volume is no longer independent of the zoom level as it was in 0.16 and previous, but changes depending on how close or how far you are zoomed in.

Is there a way to change this back to what it was previously? I would rather have the sound at a constant level, regardless of zoom.

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

Is there a way to mirror the BP/plan in the cursor? It has come up a number of times I want to set up another successful factory segment but instead of Clockwise, I want the process to happen Counterclockwise (such as on the other side of a belt or mine).

E.g., I want to

1 Control-C
2 Select 1+ buildings (or alternately pull out a BP)
3 mirror <> the plan (e..g, what's on the left is now on the right)
4 Paste ghosts in a new area.
5 Laugh as my robot army does my bidding

(It occurs to me as I type this Refineries and pumpjacks lack biaxial symmetry, but they are a rare exception...)
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Ranger_Aurelien wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:03 pm
Is there a way to mirror the BP/plan in the cursor?
Nope.
Foreman could do it but it's not updated to 0.17.
Also anything with fluids wouldn't work like you already noted.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DaleStan »

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

How do I replace an item on the item bar in 1.7? I spent 10 minutes trying to figure it out and didn't manage to. I can't believe it's a bug.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Middle (or moushewheel) click.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Gameplay Help”