Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by Bauer »

Rails are relatively cheep. I highly recommend to use a two-lane system.
Your construction will cause a lot of headache due to grid locks and it's limited capacity.

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

I have a brown out problem. The lasers are using so much juice that the accumulators all kick-in, and then ask my steam engines much more than what they can output. Lasers batteries can still fire continuously, from the accumulators, but the industries and lamplights flickers. I don't know how to solve the issue.

Ideally, the accus should only ask the Steam engine what remains after the industries use up...

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DaleStan »

You need to provide more accumulators, provide more power in general, or use fewer laser turrets. The laser turrets have highest priority, and are consuming all the power they need. The remainder of the factory shares whatever's left over, which, even with the accumulators discharging, is not enough to cover the full demand.

Then, when the laser turrets stop firing, the factory takes all the power it needs, and the accumulators charge from what's left over.

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

That's not exactly what happens, although I confirm the lasers have highest priority. From what I see it goes this way:

lasers fire
accumulators provide (enough and are never depleted fully)
Steam Engines kick in at 100%
Accumulators ask for more than what SE can provide
Industries served third and work at low efficiency

So I guess I would prefer this priority order: Lasers > Industries > Accus

So Accus served with the leftover from the rest, but they trump industries...

Alternatively, because I don't think priorities can be changed, how to do so that only a fraction of the accus fill up at a given time?

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

If it's not a bug, your observation isn't correct.
Accumulators go always last.
You cannot energy-starve your factory with accumulators.

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

When my lasers fire, the accus dispense their energy while all the Steam Engines kick in to 100%.

While the lasers continue firing and the accus slowly deplete, without hitting 0% ever, I have brown out.

Satisfaction fall under 100%

From that I'm concluding that the accus are taking precedence over the industries and are sucking up all the juice they can get from the Steam Engines.

Unless the lights flickering is no indicator that my industries are under 100% ?

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

First of all, you can click a power pole to get exact statistics. You can also hover with the mouse to get better information than judgeing be the flickering of lamps.

While the lasers a firing they take energy with priority from all sources. This means that during that time accumulators discharge. Accumulators do NOT charge and discarge at the same time. See the animation of the accumulators for easy evaluation what they are doing.

What I believe is happening is the following:
While the lasers are fireing, your factory doesn't have enough power. Keep in mind that accumularos can only discharge at a rate of 300 kW. Your "industry" is then short of energy and the lights go out.
After the fight, the steam engines are still at 100%. Prio is the "industry", any excess is used to charge the accumulators.
These modes can very quickly toggle during a fight, depending on the number of active lasers.

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

Ok thanks, I trust you, and will check again. (and yes I knew about checking a power pole for the details :) ).

When you drop construction both within the supply area of a roboport or logistic beacon (a basic roboport from some mods), under which condition they can migrate from one roboport to another? How to make sure they stay attached to it? Or are they free to travel and navigate between the same network?

A tangential question, if some of my bots from my personal roboport works, do they know that they are attached to my armor even if there is also a standard logistic network where they work? It seems so...

csduff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by csduff »

Bots are free to travel anywhere in the network they belong to. So, if your roboports logistics areas (yellow coverage) are connected, even just the corners touching, bots will travel across to move materials, recharge, or park.

If construction bots are part of your personal roboport network, they will not leave to join another network. They may run out of power if they are out too long, and may take a very long time to get back to you for a recharge and to park, but they will eventually get there.

That last part is always an issue for me, so I got into the habit of putting the construction bots in my quick bar so that I can quickly check to see how many I currently have stored away. I know that if I have exactly 2k then I am ready to leave. Any less, then I have to find my missing one before traveling.

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

The shepherd and the sheep :)

csduff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by csduff »

How'd you know I grew up on a sheep farm?

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

csduff wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:07 pm
That last part is always an issue for me, so I got into the habit of putting the construction bots in my quick bar so that I can quickly check to see how many I currently have stored away. I know that if I have exactly 2k then I am ready to leave. Any less, then I have to find my missing one before traveling.
That’s an awful lot of bots for your Personal Roboports ...

csduff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by csduff »

Yeah. I use some mods. I think, "More Personal Roboports" and a bigger power armour one.

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

What is so great about the RSO mod? It is the most downloaded mod but I don't understand what it does so much better than the vanilla generation for ores.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Better and more options (arguably, until 0.17).
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

There is no mod that add a new alien race right? It's always biters-biters-biters ... :roll: :D

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Are cats alien enough? :lol:

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

What is a big distance in Factorio? 10.000 tiles?

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

"Big" is a relative/subjective concept, so it's not possible to answer your question meaningfully without more context...

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

Porter65 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:13 am
What is a big distance in Factorio? 10.000 tiles?
If you go for 4 hours with a nuclear train in one direction you will get to the end of the world.
I think this qualifies as a "big distance in Factorio".

viewtopic.php?f=204&t=67203

Return to “Gameplay Help”