Just bought the game; What were Your first impressions?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
HYPPS
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Just bought the game; What were Your first impressions?

Post by HYPPS »

Played the tutorials for 2 hours then joined a multiplayer server. I was confused, excited, taking mental notes on the huge furnace setup(it's the only thing I could understand), in awe of the full moving belts, started asking dumb questions then saw a guy place a blueprint and flying robots build it. Say no more.. I was hooked.

Thomas.wur
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Thomas.wur »

My first impression was: Wow finaly its not that hard for ratio ect. I should have bought this game earlyer!

MichalOtto
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MichalOtto »

I love this game. I love the fact that you don't have to build your production lines the same way every time. You can change your designs and improve them over time, make them more compact, make them higher output etc. There are hundreds of ways to make a production facility that produces the same item each with its own pros and cons. There is no right way and wrong way there is only your own way that works the best for you. The game really engages your mind and makes you think about your designs. Not like some other games where it is just go there kill 6 of those or gather 10 of those collect a reward then rinse and repeat. I especially like the railways. Anyone who has ever had a toy train set, this is the game for you. You can have endless fun just building a whole map full of rails, stops and signals and watch your trains run around on them.

jim lee
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jim lee »

MichalOtto wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:40 pm
I love this game. I love the fact that you don't have to build your production lines the same way every time. You can change your designs and improve them over time, make them more compact, make them higher output etc. There are hundreds of ways to make a production facility that produces the same item each with its own pros and cons. There is no right way and wrong way there is only your own way that works the best for you. The game really engages your mind and makes you think about your designs. Not like some other games where it is just go there kill 6 of those or gather 10 of those collect a reward then rinse and repeat. I especially like the railways. Anyone who has ever had a toy train set, this is the game for you. You can have endless fun just building a whole map full of rails, stops and signals and watch your trains run around on them.
Totally agree. The problem with toy trains always was, there was nothing for them to actually do. This solves that problem. Especially on the "trains" flavor of map. You need them to get resources. Long mainlines hacked through bug-infested wildernesses.. Makes it a lot of fun.

-jim lee

Mojo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mojo »

Why the hell am i in the woods? So in order to be able to walk i have to cut down this damn trees? What am i supposed to do? OK apparently i feed a furnance with wood. What is this game about?

Ok now i am getting attacked by ugly aliens. How do i sholot?.. damn i am dead. Fuck this game.

Those were pretty much my first impressions and i quit playing the game after 30 minutes. Luckiliy i gave it another try a few months later and now i am addicted to it.

csduff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by csduff »

I saw this game in a friend's steam library. I looked at a couple videos, thought I'll give it a go. Tried the demo and said sure, I'll pay the $25 (or whatever it was at the time) on Friday night. Went to work the following Monday and said to my friend something to the effect of "Damn you, I've already lost hours of my life to this game", and I had no idea how many more would be lost.

Now, well over 1,000 hours played (and very little of it AFK, I might add) and I don't know how I lived without it.

phi Seeker
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by phi Seeker »

This was more then a year ago, but I remember specifically, that I started new game and I was like, hit I-key, why doesnt it open the inventory (used from other games) tried some things, didnt work, how do I control this game? Tried some random keys... This is hard. I looked up controls in the menu and I was like WTF? So many controls? I will never ever learn to play this game, even basic controlling :D Besides it I have absolutely no idea what I should be doing Whats the goal? What should I do?
Then I started the Campaign/Tutorial whatever and I was like ooh AAAHAAA. And I was hooked on. This is so awesome :D
After finishing the tutorial I started watching KoS videos (since I was googling the train signaling and it got me one of episodes where she does that), which for me was like the next level of tutorial :D

jdtitans
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jdtitans »

I bought the game in January. I went to the Steam store looking for addons to Civilization and saw a banner for Factorio. For me, the hook was the infinite world. I started looking at the screenshots and trailers and then downloaded the free sample game.

I have to admit, I hated the free demo. There was almost no guidance, but I got the basic idea of the game. The next day, even after getting more and more frustrated with the demo, I still bought the game. I had watched some other videos and was sold by the huge creations that were possible.

My first base was pure spaghetti and couldn't get blue science going right. My second was better, but I didn't get things planned well enough to continue. I've basically played every day since I started. Initially using v 0.16 and after my third start, I got a base going I liked and could launch rockets. In v 0.17, I started new and have been playing that base since. I've just recently got it stable and happy at about 1800 SPM after finally getting my dual silos running unhindered.

Its just a game I need to keep playing.

JD

eBiOeR
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by eBiOeR »

Actually, it was how I got to Factorio. I was chewing gears in my grandfather's workshop, then a man twice the size and with scaly skin hits the gate. He could not see me because the surveillance window is in a position perpendicular to the line of the entrance a few meters further away.
It seemed somewhat restless, at that time the aerodynamic investigation was being executed and they had asked me that there would be no door to anyone ...
 The strangest thing that at the moment where he walked from side to side in the entrance, with the overcoat and the hat could not see very well the face, neither the hands ... but it was possible to see something that seemed a spot of humidity in the floor to the surroundings ...

From one moment to another began to sound the alarm of entry to the whipping and a noise of broken glass ... I stopped watching the man for a moment and went down the stairs of the deposit ... hell, if I had not been slipping I would have arrived faster ... by the time I arrived there was no one ... the security system disabled the pig network, and kike was secured to the nearby ceilings ....

Hardly named ... with the daze of the coincidence alarm and that weird aspect ... kike ordered me with an aggressive tone to attend to the Lord ...

By the time I got to the door there was an orange and gray envelope ... and some characters that looked like Japanese Chinese or something similar ... The humidity on the floor looked like a slime and I had to take it to the pig red .......

Let's say I thought it would be complicated by the amount of accessories and what it means, but the tutorials have been sufficiently bearable and I'm already thinking about ... what devils could mean playing in a team ... something that indefatigably brought me here ...

What the hell should I think about a shared Factorio?

salute.
eBiOeR (ARG)

solalfr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by solalfr »

Just bought it yesterday. I like really the idea of this game. I tried first the 0.16 tutorials and switched to the last 0.17 beta.
I like really the new GUI but I'm blocked in the first tutorial at the "50 iron plates step" :x

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

My first thoughts were that the game flows very well, is very fun to play with its plethora of mechanics, feels very well optimized, and has a compelling atmosphere. The campaign was a great start to it before jumping into free play and trying out the alternative modes. It started out as an amazing game, and after dozens of hours, I feel like that impression still stands true.

0th3rs
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by 0th3rs »

I initially downloaded a pirated copy to try. I was immediately in love with the game and I purchased the game from steam. So glad this game exist! :D

CoalPowa
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by CoalPowa »

I just bought game last nite and went right for the v17 latest experimental build. I blinked and it was 2:30am. I had a lot of fun building the automated defenses system in campaign. Trying to place electricity poles will trigger the slightest case of OCD though... :lol:

codestothestars
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by codestothestars »

CoalPowa wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:27 pm
I just bought game last nite and went right for the v17 latest experimental build. I blinked and it was 2:30am. I had a lot of fun building the automated defenses system in campaign. Trying to place electricity poles will trigger the slightest case of OCD though... :lol:
I’m not sure if this is what you meant about the electricity poles, but if you click and hold while moving, they will automatically be placed at the correct distance. I somehow played for hundreds of hours before learning this.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

codestothestars wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:02 pm
I’m not sure if this is what you meant about the electricity poles, but if you click and hold while moving, they will automatically be placed at the correct distance. I somehow played for hundreds of hours before learning this.
Not quite : power poles will be placed so that no entity needing power remains non powered. However, this will not always keep the power pole alignment in a strict grid pattern.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

codestothestars
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by codestothestars »

Koub wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:03 pm
codestothestars wrote:
Not quite : power poles will be placed so that no entity needing power remains non powered. However, this will not always keep the power pole alignment in a strict grid pattern.
I did say "correct" distance, which is of course vague :D but yes, if there is an entity within range that needs power it will do that first. Admittedly I care about aligning them in a grid significantly less than I used to.

CoalPowa
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by CoalPowa »

codestothestars wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:09 pm
Koub wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:03 pm
codestothestars wrote:
I did say "correct" distance, which is of course vague :D but yes, if there is an entity within range that needs power it will do that first. Admittedly I care about aligning them in a grid significantly less than I used to.
Could have sworn I tried that, but I might have been so used to holding down control + click to fill up coal on items I never tried without control. Thank you that is much better! :D

Currlyfries21
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Currlyfries21 »

150~ hours later, I wonder if i'll return it?

Kidding lmao this game is terrific
Burner inserters are the path to the future. #quickinserterpartyisover

tpreissler
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by tpreissler »

Hi,

I played it with my son (10 that time probably) the very first time. We did as part of tutorial what we had to do... and
I said "you don't need to do that, you can let the game do that for you." and I got a weird look.
I showed him and ... was amazed, but didn't want to admit to how silly he was at first.

So I was immediately hooked due to the "Automate everything" aspect. When I had the first train .... ooooooh, awesome.
Oh, you can run over, too.

Let the game play itself, to some extend, I am just the manager here. That appealed very much.
I have only ever played two saves (and lazy bastard, but that was very repetitive). The first save was "just a mess" (c) but it worked. I got the rocket started,
it took 20 minutes for each start (and I wouldn't have started the rocket wouldn't my son have pushed me).
Now on the second. It would just run with 1kspm til the ~80M resources each run out. And the game/base is just an object of love. Just enjoying the automatisms I have setup and let me do the planning.

All in all, amazing.
Thank you Factorio devs!

Meggal_Bozale
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Meggal_Bozale »

First time around I was like "huh, kinda boring.". Then I was like, "hey, I should get more ore to make those electric drills! those look fun." then i was like "Why am I tired?" And then i hit the Windows key, it was 11:00PM. I have 1000 hours now and my future impressions are favorable, as in this game is great!

Return to “General discussion”