AmatorPhasma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.17+] Space Exploration WIP

Post by AmatorPhasma »

Earendel wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:17 am
Hey thanks.

If you find any incompatibilities with your mods just let me know and I'll get them fixed asap.
Thanks for the offer, on my first tour there are no starting problems. I think the most flaws could be on my side because I change some fuel-categories and create new ones, I will check this the next days :) - I want this mod in our next Multiplayersession with friends (they also :D)

And I need to mark my Meteroit-Mod as incompatible, it makes no sense to have this functionallity twice, and my mod is not even close to feature complete.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

:( :(

Not work in mods

bulkteleport_0.1.17
PersonalTeleporter_0.3.6
Portals_0.4.2
Teleporters_0.1.8
vtk-deep-core-mining_1.17.5
2019-04-23_2-27-15.png
2019-04-23_2-27-15.png (51.66 KiB) Viewed 8307 times

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Ran a quick "game" in cheat/alltech mode just to see what was there. I don't have any idea how it would work with an existing game, and more importantly, don't have a factory saved with the ability to launch a rocket.

Some thoughts/suggestions/questions.

Launching the sattelite, even with cheat mode, was kinda time consuming. Given the components stack only to 10, it takes a lot of stacks. Halfway through I grabed infinity chest items and that made it easier. Vanilla, but eh.

Once I launched it, I got access to the space menu. Lagged a lot. Gave me access to ghost character mode. No idea if the inventory is disabled or not, didn't check.
Quite nice, being that you have an orbital sattelite with cameras and sensory equipment, presumably.

In orbit, I assume that sattelite is the spy sattelite you launched. If you were to head to orbit without it, would it be there? And if you launch multiple, what happens?

I unlocked a few planets, but the starmap had more visible, if not accessable.

Getting the ship to launch was a pain. I literally made a rectangle, two engines, ~250 structural integrity. It wouldn't launch. The button was there, but unclicable, until I added two more engines. My guess is surface gravity, but I have no idea how much thrust the engines produce, or how much the ship weighs. Probably should be in the engine tooltips and ship popup.

Side note, Can you disable/enable engines manually/circuit-based, aisde from cutting fuel? And Ion-engines or w.e., could just have a crappy thrust-to-mass ratio, so you probably can't launch, but not a hardcoded lockout.
Do engines work from different angles? Actually, do ships work from any direction but facing upwards?
The thought being to use liquid-fuel rockets to leave orbit then Ion engines to travel.

Jumped out the back of my spaceship, started to die. Had to cheat up a life support suit. Kinda amusing, but needs ability to start a drift slower, I think. A tether might be useful, but honestly the spacesuit is fine. Maybe let you add extra thruster equipment?

Micrometeorites while traveling. Add a tractor beam to let you collect them, or a magnetic shield (or something) to deflect them. Lasers are fine though.

Solar panels. Produces 10x power in orbit. Not sure how you did this, but if it is particularly mutable, you could adjust it based on proximity to the star. Also it seemed to be stuck at 50% power, with +900% production. Not sure what that was about.

Asteroid Mining.

Spaceship rotation? Yea, factorio doesn't always support this properly, and the helm itself clearly only faces upwards. You can change it between 3x4 and 4x3 for centering even or odd sizes.

Asteroid mining. The miniasteroids would need some kind of specilized system, tractor beam or something. Some of those small existing platforms in orbit are pretty cool. If you survey enough, however that works, You might find asteroid belts, or larger asteroids, with acctual resource deposits on them. Requiring "Space mining drills" or similar. This as probably the source of those special resources.

Newtonian thrusters? As in, once you leave a planet, you don't have to keep running the thrusters?

Vehicle fuel. What is it's purpose? And it would be nice to be able to make it into rocket fuel. XD.
-----
A quick look at the space science is pretty cool. That said, you can just lay down starship flooring to use any of the space structures. Is that intended?

-----
Pretty cool thus far. I hope to start a game and get this far eventually.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

AmatorPhasma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AmatorPhasma »

A quick note: I have no idea if this is intended (only testing things for compatibillity with my mods)

I can build space-platform-plating (tile) on a planet, if I place it over a spaceship floor (tile) and then build the space related (only?) machines.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7b0eat7uqzn8b6/001.PNG?dl=0

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

AmatorPhasma wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:03 pm
A quick note: I have no idea if this is intended (only testing things for compatibillity with my mods)

I can build space-platform-plating (tile) on a planet, if I place it over a spaceship floor (tile) and then build the space related (only?) machines.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7b0eat7uqzn8b6/001.PNG?dl=0
Oh no, that's not supposed to happen.
Airat9000 wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:28 pm
Not work in mods

bulkteleport_0.1.17
PersonalTeleporter_0.3.6
Portals_0.4.2
Teleporters_0.1.8
vtk-deep-core-mining_1.17.5
I will be adding support for some if not all of those later. They are temporarily incompatible until I can fit them into the tech tree.
Ranakastrasz wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:03 am
Ran a quick "game" in cheat/alltech mode just to see what was there. I don't have any idea how it would work with an existing game, and more importantly, don't have a factory saved with the ability to launch a rocket.

Some thoughts/suggestions/questions.

Launching the sattelite, even with cheat mode, was kinda time consuming. Given the components stack only to 10, it takes a lot of stacks. Halfway through I grabed infinity chest items and that made it easier. Vanilla, but eh.

Once I launched it, I got access to the space menu. Lagged a lot. Gave me access to ghost character mode. No idea if the inventory is disabled or not, didn't check.
Quite nice, being that you have an orbital sattelite with cameras and sensory equipment, presumably.

In orbit, I assume that sattelite is the spy sattelite you launched. If you were to head to orbit without it, would it be there? And if you launch multiple, what happens?

I unlocked a few planets, but the starmap had more visible, if not accessable.

Getting the ship to launch was a pain. I literally made a rectangle, two engines, ~250 structural integrity. It wouldn't launch. The button was there, but unclicable, until I added two more engines. My guess is surface gravity, but I have no idea how much thrust the engines produce, or how much the ship weighs. Probably should be in the engine tooltips and ship popup.

Side note, Can you disable/enable engines manually/circuit-based, aisde from cutting fuel? And Ion-engines or w.e., could just have a crappy thrust-to-mass ratio, so you probably can't launch, but not a hardcoded lockout.
Do engines work from different angles? Actually, do ships work from any direction but facing upwards?
The thought being to use liquid-fuel rockets to leave orbit then Ion engines to travel.

Jumped out the back of my spaceship, started to die. Had to cheat up a life support suit. Kinda amusing, but needs ability to start a drift slower, I think. A tether might be useful, but honestly the spacesuit is fine. Maybe let you add extra thruster equipment?

Micrometeorites while traveling. Add a tractor beam to let you collect them, or a magnetic shield (or something) to deflect them. Lasers are fine though.

Solar panels. Produces 10x power in orbit. Not sure how you did this, but if it is particularly mutable, you could adjust it based on proximity to the star. Also it seemed to be stuck at 50% power, with +900% production. Not sure what that was about.

Asteroid Mining.

Spaceship rotation? Yea, factorio doesn't always support this properly, and the helm itself clearly only faces upwards. You can change it between 3x4 and 4x3 for centering even or odd sizes.

Asteroid mining. The miniasteroids would need some kind of specilized system, tractor beam or something. Some of those small existing platforms in orbit are pretty cool. If you survey enough, however that works, You might find asteroid belts, or larger asteroids, with acctual resource deposits on them. Requiring "Space mining drills" or similar. This as probably the source of those special resources.

Newtonian thrusters? As in, once you leave a planet, you don't have to keep running the thrusters?

Vehicle fuel. What is it's purpose? And it would be nice to be able to make it into rocket fuel. XD.
-----
A quick look at the space science is pretty cool. That said, you can just lay down starship flooring to use any of the space structures. Is that intended?

-----
Pretty cool thus far. I hope to start a game and get this far eventually.
Sorry if I miss anything.

The satellite rocket is a bit cheaper than vanilla. I might make it cheaper still but need more people to give feedback after playing much further into the game without cheats.

In remote view / satellite uplink mode you can't use normal items, but you can copy/paste, use the blueprint library, deconstruction planer, change combinator settings, change other entity logistic settings, and use area selection tools like the vehicle remote conrtoller.

Not sure what to do about stars visibility in the starmap yet, maybe just remove the names from undiscovered ones?

Ship launch requires launch boosters not engines. Flying the ship requires ship engines not boosters, but boosters can be used as fuel tanks.

There won't be ion launch boosters they will be space engines only.

Ships don't have different angles, they always go north.

I will probably add some sort of small asteroid scoop or tractor beam. The tech may be related to the meteor defense laser depending on whether that will also help vs small meteors. Not sure about that yet.

The space solar situation is that daylight is kept lower so that lights are not always off. Solar multiplier is increased to compensate and modified based on distance to the sun.

You can mine the asteroid belts and asteroid fields. There will be special resources there later. Sometimes planet/moon orbits have little asteroids that can be mined but those are rare.

Newtonian thrusters would be nice but I'm not sure that further engine upgrades would be that useful.

Space science is hard. Alhtough you can place some spaces structures on spaceship floor, not all of them can. Space platform is still required. (Unless you use that bug that AmatorPhasma found).

Kloozy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kloozy »

@erandel
Hey i added this mod to a vanilla map, and for some reason its not allowing me to resesech the core drilling tech, even tho it only requires red and green science. Is this a bug? I have the required mods installed with it, in case thats your first question.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Yea. Rocket science is just chemical level from what I saw. Much earlier.

Still want to kmow how you unlock new planets.
Seeing planets before unlocking them on the starmap is fine. Just that I have no idea how that works.

I have no idea why i had trouble launching then. And do you need at least one engine to launch?

And also still need more info on exactly how launch cost works. Adding walls reduces the launch cost, somehow.

Odd. It was a constant 900% boost for solar as I traveled to (presumably) star orbit and anywhere else.

By newtonian thrusters I meant that travel between planets/orbits doesnt involve top speed and space friction. You can set a top speed and accelerate to it, drift, then burn again to decelerate. Currently it seems to use space friction, such that you slow down and stop if engines dont thrust constantly.

Ah, that explains it.

You should probably just script-disable all the space industry macines while on a planet.

What you missed
Vehicle fuel
Space suit comments.
Unclickable launch button.
Unknown launch conditions, ship mass, thrust or acceleration
How to find new planets
A way to drift less quickly after leaving a spaceship.

Oh, and I am always concerned for mods that use stone, did stone spawn rate increase or do I need to increase it manually?
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Kloozy wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:42 pm
@erandel
Hey i added this mod to a vanilla map, and for some reason its not allowing me to resesech the core drilling tech, even tho it only requires red and green science. Is this a bug? I have the required mods installed with it, in case thats your first question.
Just to clarify, it appears in the tech tree and you have researched all the prerequisites? If so you should be able to research it.
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:36 pm
Yea. Rocket science is just chemical level from what I saw. Much earlier.

Still want to kmow how you unlock new planets.
Each satellite launch reveals something new, maybe a planet, moon, star, asteroid belt, asteroid field, or secret other things.
Seeing planets before unlocking them on the starmap is fine. Just that I have no idea how that works.

I have no idea why i had trouble launching then. And do you need at least one engine to launch?
You don't, if you only need to get to orbit you can drift there with no engines in a few minutes.
And also still need more info on exactly how launch cost works. Adding walls reduces the launch cost, somehow.
It uses the same calculation as ship stress. For stress it makes sense that it would reduce stress by reinforcing, but for launch cost it is counter intuitive. I don't plan on changing it though otherwise it further incentivises box-shaped ships.
Odd. It was a constant 900% boost for solar as I traveled to (presumably) star orbit and anywhere else.
Did the output drop in the energy graph?
By newtonian thrusters I meant that travel between planets/orbits doesnt involve top speed and space friction. You can set a top speed and accelerate to it, drift, then burn again to decelerate. Currently it seems to use space friction, such that you slow down and stop if engines dont thrust constantly.
I know, it's just complicated with the space debris speed being based on your speed, the fact that engines only face 1 way, etc.
Ah, that explains it.

You should probably just script-disable all the space industry macines while on a planet.
Yeah, I think that's on the todo list somewhere.
What you missed
Vehicle fuel
It is multi-purpose, but mainly for burner entities and vehicles.
Space suit comments.
The step-off momentum is tricky to balance because I don't want gaps in space platform to be obstacles.
Unclickable launch button.
The GUI should show what is missing.
Space suit comments.
The step-off momentum is tricky to balance because I don't want gaps in space platform to be obstacles.
Unknown launch conditions, ship mass, thrust or acceleration
Launch cost is based on the planet radius and the ship size (actually the stress value). This also acts as the ship mass.
For space travel the engines provide thrust based on the fuel they use / ship mass.
How to find new planets
Launch Satellites
A way to drift less quickly after leaving a spaceship.
I could probably add something so that if you counter-thrust within a few ticks of stepping off it would stop most of your momentum.
Oh, and I am always concerned for mods that use stone, did stone spawn rate increase or do I need to increase it manually?
There is a bit more stone but not lots more.

Kloozy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kloozy »

Yes all pre reqs were completed, the resesrxh queues fine, but wouldnt actually start even tho i had all packs in labs already.
I'm at work now, will tinker more when i get home and attempt to find the cause. If not ill post more.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Odd. I would really think at least one engine should be required to leave a planet, It would make more sense with thrusters being used and the boosters just feeding it. But w.e.

How is ship stress calculated exactly? And yea, I see how that works. Box shapes usually win for spaceships unless you include other design considerations.

I think stress is increased by floor and reduced by walls, so usable surface area is all that matters. But I havnt scienced it enough yet.

Does the solar 900% itself change? Because that was the only part I looked at.

Newtonion, i get it. Makes sense.

A quick reverse thrust after stepping off should work.

Side note, movement is a bit weird if you hit a spaceship wall on the outside. Actually, you could treat being adjacent to said wall as being normally mobile. Could be interesting at least.

The gui tells you some info, but I hsd enough power in the boosters to launch, and was unable to until I added two new engines. Will test again though.

We need a proper ablative frontal shield. That will let you not need lasers, but needs repair and/or replacement. And/or the damage for meteorites should scale with speed. Low speed should just bounce off.

And a way via the console to set intended speed. Does the space friction use the double speed means quadruple energy thing? If so, you could run engines efficiently at lower speeds.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:31 pm
Yes all pre reqs were completed, the resesrxh queues fine, but wouldnt actually start even tho i had all packs in labs already.
I'm at work now, will tinker more when i get home and attempt to find the cause. If not ill post more.
I have found and fixed the issue.

Kloozy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kloozy »

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:39 pm
Awesome, thanks for being so awesome at supporting your mods.
Is their a way to donate some funds your way? I dont like patreon really, but would be happy to show ya some love... keep up the good work my man

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

author find new bug
mod Facorissimo
2019-04-23_22-46-44.png
2019-04-23_22-46-44.png (484.3 KiB) Viewed 8169 times

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:50 pm
author find new bug
mod Facorissimo 2019-04-23_22-46-44.png
You have run out of tiles. Factorio can only load 255. You need to uninstall some mods to free up some tile slots.
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:30 pm
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:39 pm
Awesome, thanks for being so awesome at supporting your mods.
Is their a way to donate some funds your way? I dont like patreon really, but would be happy to show ya some love... keep up the good work my man
Thanks, I've added a paypal donate button to my signature if that is more suitable.

woniubbg
Inserter
Inserter

Post by woniubbg »

how to get glass there is no repice

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

A few things got messed up when I separated the mod from AAI Industry. Unlocking the recipe was one. I have just fixed it though so it should be there if you update.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

By the way the author is a question. I noticed meteorites began to fall on the head off.

Is it possible to come up with a shield that would protect meteorites from falling). :D like in ships

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Meteor defence is planned, I was actually working on it tonight but I don't like how the graphics are going.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:51 am
Meteor defence is planned, I was actually working on it tonight but I don't like how the graphics are going.
good!but it falls a lot right on the base is not nice ..
and idea more resources not only iron and copper, but cobalt, aluminum and iridium from you.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:12 am
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:51 am
good!but it falls a lot right on the base is not nice ..
and idea more resources not only iron and copper, but cobalt, aluminum and iridium from you.
Dynamic resources would be nice, it's just difficult to stop organic resources from ending up in there too.

Return to β€œMods”