Topics and discussion about specific mods
Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[MOD 0.17] Industrial Revolution

Post by Deadlock989 »

Mod portal link: Industrial Revolution

License

Industrial Revolution is licensed under Creative Commons BY-NC-ND 4.0, which restricts you to non-commercial use, and places other restrictions on the publication of works derived from it.

Credits and acknowledgement

Coded by Deadlock989. Code assistance from TheStaplergun. Almost all original graphics by Deadlock989. A couple of icons are based on public domain models, and all sounds in the mod are public domain samples. See CREDITS.txt in the mod archive for full attributions.

Many thanks to TheStaplergun, Bilka, Linver, shanemadden, Therenas and EnigmaticAussie (and others I have probably missed) for help, contributions and support - this mod is a lot better for it.
Last edited by Deadlock989 on Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 150 times in total.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17+] Untitled WIP

Post by Deadlock989 »

[updated]
Last edited by Deadlock989 on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 18 times in total.

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

Awesome, I saw some of your gfx in the bug reports, great looking stuff!

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

[updated]
Last edited by Deadlock989 on Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

[updated]
Last edited by Deadlock989 on Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by McDuff »

Yes, yes, yes, yes.

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by McDuff »

What I really like about this style is that it manages to fit with factorio vanilla while still being recognisably new.

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by McDuff »

What are the new materials you're adding? Are the new circuits a reskin of the Green/Red/Blue progression or something different?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

McDuff wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:04 am
What I really like about this style is that it manages to fit with factorio vanilla while still being recognisably new.
Thanks. Actually I really struggle with that. And making anything asymmetric. I gave up trying to match the Wube artists' top skills and just focused on getting something out that is consistent and follows the conventions of lighting, angle etc.
McDuff wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:21 am
What are the new materials you're adding? Are the new circuits a reskin of the Green/Red/Blue progression or something different?
Tin and gold ore occur in the world. There will be no further minable ores: setting up ore outposts is one of my least favourite things to do in Factorio, so I don't play mods where that job is multiplied by an order of magnitude. 1.5x the number of things to mine is plenty.

Lead and titanium are also available as trace elements through refining (mining > grinding > washing).

Bronze, glass, steel, plastic, carbon fibre and "aurium" (made up name for gold-titanium alloy) are all amalgams of other metals and elements that require special processing, either in an alloy furnace or via "chemistry". Steel isn't just smelted iron like in vanilla, it's iron "alloyed" with carbon.

You cannot smelt iron at the start of the game. Iron smelting requires a bronze furnace so you need to research that first. You cannot produce electricity without iron. There are / will be more burner versions of things available.

Ores don't smelt into plates, they produce ingots, which then branch off into a small tree of "basic products". The system generates all physically possible variants of these (e.g. gold gears and lead bolts are physically possible, coal rods and stone cables are not) and then recursively flags the ones which have no current use - that's what the warning triangles are on the inventory pic above, but I will probably auto-disable them eventually. Basic products are cheap (and rail is especially cheap), not to mention the potential 2.25x ore-to-ingot multiplier from the full processing chain. But machines are very expensive.

The circuits: both a reskin and a progression. Controllers and computers are basically exponentially stacked circuits with a couple of rarer materials thrown in. Circuits are used in simple machines - lamps, constant combinators etc. - but most tier 2+ processing machines need at least a controller and advanced ones need a computer. A tier 3 optical computer is currently worth a small fortune. But there is a huge amount of balancing still to do, and still missing several key machines.

I haven't even touched military yet but have some ideas.
Last edited by Deadlock989 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by McDuff »

*grabby hands* gimme now!

This really looks like the kind of thing I would enjoy. I never really liked the idea of angels or bobs because it seemed to add too many base materials, but more processing chains from the basic materials would be very nice indeed.

Do you have any ideas for the nuclear side of things or are you going to leave this to other mods?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

McDuff wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:36 pm
*grabby hands* gimme now!

This really looks like the kind of thing I would enjoy. I never really liked the idea of angels or bobs because it seemed to add too many base materials, but more processing chains from the basic materials would be very nice indeed.

Do you have any ideas for the nuclear side of things or are you going to leave this to other mods?
No, not anticipating touching nuclear heavily. Ingredients are a bit different - it's the main use for lead at the moment. You can't make fuel cells by hand (but you can make engines). I also think you should get at least some of the metal back from fuel cell reprocessing. But I don't think the mechanics will really change. If anything, I "nuclearified" several other things, since we only got probabilistic recipes with the overhaul of vanilla nuclear in 0.15. But I might look at it.

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by McDuff »

One thing I'd say is that a lot of the nuclear mods add a lot of complexity for the sake of it. It's nice to have a plutonium cycle of some kind but having 12 different purification stages is a bit much. Having said that there are other mods that do this so it's probably not necessary unless you intend this mod to be a "one stop" that does all the internal rebalancing and isn't intended to work with any other mods.

With all the various kinds of new intermediate products, are you planning on making it fit in with any of the inserter extender mods or adding your own kind of thing, to allow 3 belt reach for example?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

If you have a recommendation for a nuclear mod, let me know, I've never used one. Ideally it wouldn't add any new ores, but it's not necessarily a deal-breaker if it does. But integration with other mods is low on the list at the moment.

I'm hedging about inserters. I don't like 3 belt reach but I do like nearside/farside adjustments. Because of the way the tech is spaced out, there's a strong case for a long-handed burner inserter - but then if you could just adjust any inserter it wouldn't be needed. I'll think about whether I want to build it in or just signpost to some other mod.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Experimenting with scattergun (i.e. shotgun) turrets and changing all bullets to be physical projectiles:

I mean, obviously the extra multicoloured pew-pew is nice. But the reason pistol/machine-gun/gun-turret bullets are "instant" and there's no shotgun turret in vanilla is that if you don't change the force settings, projectiles blow your own stuff up. At the first this was hilarious but it's a no-deal because you don't want your own turrets blowing away your own walls or wrecking your own base if a biter makes it past the front line. But if you set the projectiles to ignore your own force, you can't damage your own equipment with handheld weapons - I can't decide if that's a problem or not, but it feels like it is, we've all put junk in a wooden chest and blown it away at one time or another. The answer would be to have a duplicated set of projectiles which don't ignore any force which are used by the handheld weapons, but unfortunately projectile type is set in the ammo type and not in the firing entity/item, so that's a no deal as well, because it would mean handheld weapons and turrets would need different ammo.

Add a cheap melee weapon which is used for smashing chests? Dunno.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

[updated]
Last edited by Deadlock989 on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by McDuff »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:38 am
Experimenting with scattergun (i.e. shotgun) turrets and changing all bullets to be physical projectiles:

I mean, obviously the extra multicoloured pew-pew is nice. But the reason pistol/machine-gun/gun-turret bullets are "instant" and there's no shotgun turret in vanilla is that if you don't change the force settings, projectiles blow your own stuff up. At the first this was hilarious but it's a no-deal because you don't want your own turrets blowing away your own walls or wrecking your own base if a biter makes it past the front line. But if you set the projectiles to ignore your own force, you can't damage your own equipment with handheld weapons - I can't decide if that's a problem or not, but it feels like it is, we've all put junk in a wooden chest and blown it away at one time or another. The answer would be to have a duplicated set of projectiles which don't ignore any force which are used by the handheld weapons, but unfortunately projectile type is set in the ammo type and not in the firing entity/item, so that's a no deal as well, because it would mean handheld weapons and turrets would need different ammo.

Add a cheap melee weapon which is used for smashing chests? Dunno.
Recycling stuff (even just melting it back down to a fraction of its raw materials) would be better than shooting chests. I always get sort of annoyed at how "cheaty" destroying a chest feels.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

McDuff wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:06 am
Recycling stuff (even just melting it back down to a fraction of its raw materials) would be better than shooting chests. I always get sort of annoyed at how "cheaty" destroying a chest feels.
There is a recycler available. It can't handle everything though - only machines and most intermediate products. So no disassembling a gear back into plates. I would like to add some sort of arc furnace that retrieves metals as well but it turns out to be more involved than I thought.
Last edited by Deadlock989 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by McDuff »

You always need gears though. The stuff you want to recycle is the stuff that gets superceded. So burner stuff, stone furnaces, etc. I never want to recycle green circuits or gear wheels.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Since I was cranking out turrets ... the poor old basic gun turret was feeling left out. So I copied the design of the original but in the style of the other turrets.
Untitled-1.png
Untitled-1.png (1014.8 KiB) Viewed 53248 times

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

The full arsenal, in five tiers. Centre is the Photonic Cannon, late-game turret loosely based on tank cannon / explosive rocket stats, less range than an artillery cannon but more range than any other turret, my first ever 4x4 building. Directional with a limited firing arc like a flamethrower turret so it doesn't take your own base out (the projectiles themselves pass over walls but the explosive damage hurts everyone).

Might add a mid-game iron version of the early-game copper shotgun turret but after a week of military stuff I need a break from it. The laser beams are "orange" in this picture but there are 12 colours to choose from.

(spoiler removed)
Last edited by Deadlock989 on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Mods”