When do YOU give up and start fresh?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
akmotu
Inserter
Inserter

When do YOU give up and start fresh?

Post by akmotu »

So I've launched rockets on two maps now, and I'm finding to do so on my third map is proving to be rather frustrating.

I was just curious what other players' thoughts were about throwing in the towel on a game. When do you say, "Ok, I've had it with this map, time to start over?"

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: When do YOU give up and start fresh?

Post by dog80 »

why would you want to start over when you have played it once already?

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

The only time I might consider a new map is:

- A new version like 0.17 causes significant changes that might require a new map to fully enjoy.

- I want to make significant changes to my starter base and tests in a new map are needed.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Usually, when I have to automate blue science (I haven't had the time to try again since last recipe change though).
The resource scaling and oil processing setup, coupled with the very little time I have available for playing just discourage me.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

T-A-R
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by T-A-R »

udually when i get back to a map after a while.. By not playing i forget the specific quirks (like hand fed bootstrappers, weird belt spagetties). Also the large layout need to be thought out well at the start.

A great help for me is the mod to alter map settings in game. (mod called "change map settings") tweaking the map keep feeling magic for me (even after 2.5k playtime). I surely left some factories because the biter clearing became too large and tedious to meet my expansion plans. I never teared down my entire factory as sometimes suggested. When i messed up too much. i take it as a valuable lession and start over.

another good reasonfor me to start over is getting inspired/exited to exeriment new concepts, like rail only, diggy or a nanofactory. This forum and reddit are really inspiring. I just want to build more factories than i can.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Restarted my first game (0.16.51) quite early because I couldn't cope with the biters. It's a bad idea to play with enemy expansion turned on if you're new to the game!

I restarted my second game when I noticed that I'd scaled my smart train network too small. The smartness part worked, in a way, but the trains were too short and took too much time to pick up stuff and bring it to their destination, so I was always running out of basic supplies. In that game, I actually produced all six sciences, although yellow and purple was more like a trickle.

In my third game, I started to use mods. The big wind park I used for early power generation was nice, but the resulting drop of UPS was a huge turn-off. No fun to play the game at 20 to 30 UPS even in early game!

Right in time for 0.17, I could spend some money on upgrading my hardware. It seemed to make sense to start a new game with the new version, and I added some mods. Biters are harder than they used to be, so I installed one mod that helped a lot in fending off enemies. That mod was a fork of another mod, though, and I didn't quite like the attitude of the author. So, when the original mod was updated to 0.17, I dumped the fork and installed the original. Turns out the fork had made tech much cheaper, and used different ingredients. By uninstalling the fork, I'd ripped out the heart of my defense, and the constant onslaught of biters didn't leave me air to replace it, so I was forced to restart again.

My fifth attempt was cut short by a bug that was never resolved. I couldn't update for a dozen or more subversions, and playing on the old version turned out to be problematic as several mods required a later version of the game. I fooled around a bit with that game, but I didn't play it seriously.

Finally, somebody reported the same bug that had prevented me from playing -- and also found a solution! Also, this weekend, I could find some time for playing and started with a clean slate. This time, I'm playing with enemy expansion turned on again (but cooldown set to 16 minutes instead of 4). I'm taking it slow in the beginning, with burner assembling machines, junk trains, and tier 0 transport belts. The map was generated with low frequency, smaller-than-average, poor-yield coal patches (24K in the starting area). Thanks to Bio Industries, I've managed to set up early coal-from-wood production that already is sufficitent to fuel 8 steam engines. Next step is building electric miners, and then I should be ready to start building a main bus with some serious production. Trains are supposed to be a major part of my game again, and also ships. Cargo ships provides lots of offshore oil, so for balancing, I've also installed Steinio's unlasting oil. I hope I'll finally start my first rocket this time -- but if it should turn out that I've made conditions too harsh to ever succeed, I might restart once again. :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

I like to start over. Beginning is the most interesting part. I rarely launch rockets. Automation of Production and Utility science packs is usually my final step.

Rjskeet
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rjskeet »

Mostly after science changes really. Or depending if I want to start a new main playstyle like sub facotries, death world or railworld.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

Just started a fresh game with 1.7
there are just so many changes.

Before that I started a new game when they changed the boilers from 1x1 to what they are now
Beside that I started playthroughs with the common map settings and launched several rockets.

I never abandonned a map.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

I can not imagine such situation in Factorio. I like to play very long games (several hundred of hours with vanilla, more with complex mods) and quit when my base is big and runs smoothly and I think expanding would be just boring copying of same structures. Especially if I have cleared beginning phase (i.e. launched first rockets) I have very high threshold to make new beginning. If there were for example some bug and I would not have some necessary end game resource or biters would be impossible hard, I would make an artificial resource patch or clear enemies by using commands instead of beginning a new game.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

I'll play one family map per game version. We then quit playing that version after a single rocket is launched. We've been playing since 0.13, with each one having different mods for a new (and often longer) experience.

It was honestly the map we had for 0.14 that was my favourite, which included Angel/Bob for the first time. Good mod selection for 0.14 + Map generation with lakes and oceans worked well for us.

We're still waiting for some mods to get proper support before doing 0.17, but this will be our last map as we plan to retire from Factorio due to a mild burnout. I'll probably return in 5 years when the game is fully matured and mods can become much more advanced to provide the best experience yet.

ChoMar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ChoMar »

when my PC cany handle my factory anymore and it gets really laggy.
Mytronix Entertainment

csduff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by csduff »

I always have some testing maps (cheats on, unlimited supply points, and whatnot) that I use for designing factory blocks. Every once in a while when I am designing I will have a fundamental shift in design philosophy. This usually is what marks my current play through as "finished".

Either that, or my UPS/FPS dips too low (~45).

mitchieboy1999
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mitchieboy1999 »

Mostly when my fpsdrops below 20 or 25 and stays there. My save that I started with the release of 17.1 is around 26 fps, so I will be starting a new factory rather soon. I just promised myself that, before I start a new map, I redo my circuits build(green and red, make them outposts) and make an outpost of my steel as well. I currently have launched 48 rockets. To improve my ups I don't use uranium...

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

I was close to starting over my current map (almost default settings, specifically on the biter front) when the aliens (after I had it running over night, stupid me :D) had chewed through my defenses and almost chewed up my whole base. But… I saved it. It was nail-biting, but I did it. Felt really good… should have saved that broken state, sadly I didn't.

csduff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by csduff »

I think my new answer, still in line with my previous one, is "Today".

After reading some posts I've just had some small, but significant, revelations about my layouts. That, and I've just started playing around with LTN, so it looks like it is "fundamental shift" time.

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

I restart when I make significant mod changes.

Also restart when I get bored.

I play on custom made maps, so each is different in point and theme. Been trying to work with trains and main bus, I normally do spaghetti

CheeseMcBurger
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CheeseMcBurger »

akmotu wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:18 pm
So I've launched rockets on two maps now, and I'm finding to do so on my third map is proving to be rather frustrating.

I was just curious what other players' thoughts were about throwing in the towel on a game. When do you say, "Ok, I've had it with this map, time to start over?"
Usually around blue science. The farthest I've gotten was production once. Just too complicated for my taste.

rcp27
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rcp27 »

I generally start a new save for each major release that brings things like recipe changes, tech tree modifications or other big gameplay rebalances. Otherwise the main thing that prompts me to restart from scratch is if I have a new idea for how to approach the building process. Things like going heavily into rail based modular construction as early as possible or rushing construction bots to make a “self building” base, just to experience different play styles. When I was inexperienced I would more often hit the “I can’t see a way to solve this problem without rebuilding everything” and start fresh, but experience has taught me how to avoid getting into that situation.

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nosferatu »

My train system got to complex and then 0.17 hit

So I started over this time using the LTN Mod

Return to “General discussion”