[kovarex] [0.17.31] You can 'Tab' cycle through nearly all visible slots/buttons and change their state with Enter

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

[kovarex] [0.17.31] You can 'Tab' cycle through nearly all visible slots/buttons and change their state with Enter

Post by Kayanor »

It is possible for you to (Shift +) Tab-cycle through nearly all visible slots and buttons and change their state to "pressed" by pressing Enter or NumPad Enter. You can undo that by pressing Enter or NumPad Enter on that slot/button again.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Unbind 'Enter/Leave vehicle' from the Enter key(s).
  2. Have some slots or buttons on the screen. Works with all menus, the shortcut and action bars, the "equipment bar" in the bottom right, the main inventory window, the info panel on the right, and tracked achievements. I haven't tested more.
  3. Press (Shift +) Tab (one or more times).
  4. Then press Enter or NumPad Enter (one or more times).
  5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 at will.
Expected behaviour:
Nothing happens, since the Enter keys have been unbound from any action.

Actual behaviour:
Tab (and Shift + Tab) cycle through all active slots and buttons on the screen at that moment, pressing Enter or NumPad Enter changes the state of the currently selected slot or button to be pressed (or not).
The function of the "pressed" slots or buttons is not affected by this.
If the targeted GUI element is a tick box, the box will actually get ticked/unticked when pressing (NumPad) Enter.
Please note that, if you have something (usually 'Enter/Leave vehicle') bound to one of the Enter keys, this won't work for that key, but for the other. I have tested a bit with binding these keys to 'Enter/Leave vehicle') and came to these results:
  • Enter bound, NumPad Enter unbound -> Only NumPad Enter triggers the bug.
  • Enter unbound, NumPad Enter bound -> Only Enter triggers it.
  • Both keys bound -> None triggers it.
  • Both keys unbound -> Both trigger it.
Footage of the described bahaviour in the game menu. MP4 video, you might need to manually start playback.

While in the graphics settings menu, I could change dropdown menus and sliders with the arrow keys. When you press Enter on an unchanged text box, you won't be able to Tab cycle through the menu any more, until you manually click on something. Pressing Enter while the 'Back' or 'Confirm' button is targeted will result in that button's action actually being executed.

Footage of the described behaviour while in game. MP4 video, you might need to manually start playback.

To switch from the shortcut bar to the main inventory window, I had to use Shift + Tab.
I wasn't able to enter the left part of the main inventory window, as well as the logistic request slots. I also couldn't cycle any further than the "Create blueprint" button in the action bar.

This bug might be related to 69580 ([0.17.31] Can't use tab key in train and train station color selection).
Former moderator.

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.17.31] You can 'Tab' cycle through nearly all visible slots/buttons and change their state with '(NumPad) Enter'

Post by Kayanor »

I did some further investigation and unmapped both Enter keys from 'Enter/Leave vehicle' and bound Enter to 'Mine' and NumPad Enter to 'Build'.

While hovering nothing minable or deconstructable, the issue occured. As soon as I hovered a transport belt, it got deconstructed without the state of a slot changing. After the transport belt was deconstructed, the slot changed its state again when pressing Enter.
Nearly the same thing for (re)building the transport belt: As long as the desired action (in this case building) can be done, the slot won't change, but as soon as it is not possible (e.g. trying to build on an obstructed place or out of reach), pressing the NumPad Enter 'Build' key will change the state of a slot again.

Footage of the above described behaviour: MP4 video, you might need to manually start playback.

The slot that changes state when pressing (NumPad) Enter is the second weapon slot in the bottom right.
Former moderator.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [kovarex] [0.17.31] You can 'Tab' cycle through nearly all visible slots/buttons and change their state with Enter

Post by kovarex »

Thanks for the report.
It was fixed for the next version by removing the tabable functionality from everything but textboxes.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”