Invert Landfill

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Invert Landfill

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged several threads on the same topic.
Also moved back the resulting thread to Suggestions from "Not implemented", as there is some hope that this could be a thing some day (since the landfill tile has its own type).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

Cancel with ctrl+z - yes, definitely.
Invert with mining - no, not a basic landfill. We need separate, more advanced and expensive type of landfill (some deck) that can be mined to restore water.
Something like this : https://mods.factorio.com/mod/platforms.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Oh god... after all these merges I am so lost at this topic.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Gergely wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:59 am
Oh god... after all these merges I am so lost at this topic.
Yeah sorry, should have been done on the fly, and not let the topics multiply. All ideas remain readable, and gathered in the same thread. I think the tradeoff if good.

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Undo Landfill

Post by Tekillaa »

I was in deep hesitation to make that post about undo landfill, it seems normal to me because of just a miss click, or miss placement, i got to load a previous save (actually land fill during nuke plant construction for example). +1 about the undo, so not creating water, just able to remove a landfill previously done.

Thank you for the post
It should be add in the game: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67650 :)

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

I'm good both with A: landfill being undoable, or B: creating 'platform' tiles that have functionality similar to landfill but are removable. Either way, I really really want some way to cover up water and make use of the space and later on to be able to remove said covering and make use of the water.

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

It wouldn't hurt to have the ability to remove landfill.
Just the one you placed.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

I believe the problem is that per-tile data is very heavy. Currently for each tile 2 layers are stored : terrain and flooring. Revertible landfill needs third layer to be stored.

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

leadraven wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:17 pm
I believe the problem is that per-tile data is very heavy. Currently for each tile 2 layers are stored : terrain and flooring. Revertible landfill needs third layer to be stored.
Doesn't it already have that data somewhere?
If I landfill something and mouseover with landfill, the tile overlay is green, tiles I didn't landfill are red.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

dood wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:36 pm
leadraven wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:17 pm
Doesn't it already have that data somewhere?
If I landfill something and mouseover with landfill, the tile overlay is green, tiles I didn't landfill are red.
Because landfill is separate type of terrain, with the same texture as grass. But it is terrain, not flooring, and replaces water. Information about original terrain type gets lost.

boran_blok
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by boran_blok »

wasn't that original terrain type by definition water?

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

boran_blok wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:08 pm
Water, Deep water, Shallow water, Green water, .... You can't just hardcode that landfill is reverted to water, it must be a universal algorithm of terrain type modification. I'd say each tile must contain stack, but I don't know how much data is in question. Such change might greatly increase memory usage.

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

leadraven wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:21 pm
boran_blok wrote:
Water, Deep water, Shallow water, Green water, .... You can't just hardcode that landfill is reverted to water, it must be a universal algorithm of terrain type modification. I'd say each tile must contain stack, but I don't know how much data is in question. Such change might greatly increase memory usage.
How does the platforms mod do it? I have to guess they're using flooring? Yes, the mod has problems, but it seems like that should be resolvable. Using 'flooring' over water and enough game intelligence to check the flooring and allow walking over water if it has flooring seems like it should function.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

Darinth wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:48 pm
leadraven wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:21 pm
boran_blok wrote:
How does the platforms mod do it? I have to guess they're using flooring? Yes, the mod has problems, but it seems like that should be resolvable. Using 'flooring' over water and enough game intelligence to check the flooring and allow walking over water if it has flooring seems like it should function.
Currently major problem of this mod is that platform itself, being flooring, can be replaced with another flooring, and after that behaviour gets broken. Ideally, flooring must be placed on top of platform.

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

leadraven wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:55 pm
Currently major problem of this mod is that platform itself, being flooring, can be replaced with another flooring, and after that behaviour gets broken. Ideally, flooring must be placed on top of platform.
Or prevent the placement of flooring or program the game to recognize that any flooring going over water, by it's very nature, had to have been a platform to start off with. Means no additional data needs stored, just some extra game logic.

theoctopi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Allow excavation of landfill placed by the player

Post by theoctopi »

If I can place landfill it seems I ought to be able to dig it out again: landfill is the only structure in the game that is "place only".

Note that I'm not asking for the ability to otherwise reshape the map.

However, when building large nuclear power plants on a lake, the whole enterprise can be ruined by accidentally placing landfill in the wrong place. This is deeply frustrating and leads to an unsatisfying save-place-regret-reload loop.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Allow excavation of landfill placed by the player

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Agreed. Alien Biomes mod notably replaces landfill with a specific tile type, but I have no idea if you can make such a tile removable.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic with same suggestion.
Meanwhile,
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/platforms
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/breakable-landfill

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

So... playing with the platforms mod recently I realized something rather obvious. The ability to place and then remove landfill is actually rather game breaking. It allow for the creation of a lot of structures that are impervious to biters, and several others that are nearly so. You can easily create personal islands or open landbridges to inaccessible islands to build on and then remove those land bridges to make impenetrable fortresses, or reduce the available bridge area to only be the size of train tracks. It opens up a lot of build options that are probably not good for the base game. While I love the platforms mod, I'm not certain it's a good idea for base factorio.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”