Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by Jap2.0 »

Porter65 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:30 am
Thanks guys.

Power armor durability, how do you repair?
There isn't anything you can do beyond making another one. Armor durability is removed in 0.17.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

Weird, I have tiny start with tiny armor and it losts some durability.

I'm wondering if that's a so good idea to explore a lot and plop radars to uncover (and instantiate) large areas, you can't occupy any time soon.

Because with Biters expansions, it means some areas which were devoid of any alien bases will get some after some time... Right?

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

not yet revealed chunks (still black) are already generated and calculated, if they are adjacent to a revealed one (might even be 2 rows of chunks, not sure)
If that wasn´t the case, you could just clear out everything visible and wouldn´t have to worry about biters ever again

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

Right, makes sense!

Upgrade planner...

I have read the wiki on that, and I don't see a possibility to either use it, or have a blueprint be a 'bigger version' of another one. What I would like is to have version 2 of my science production hub be a bigger version of version 1 (it adds stuff there and there).

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

Upgrade planner only replaces entities with higher-tier counterparts. In order to switch your setup out for a larger setup, you would need a blueprint of the larger setup, which you can then apply by first using the deconstruction planner to clear the area, and then plonk the blueprint down.

You can also setup a factory segment which can be tiled, then you can plop the blueprint down multiple times to make a bigger factory.

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

ok... Yes I can deconstruct and reconstruct. Or try to be modular and extend by segments...

I'm surprised though that when you overlap a blueprint onto an existing production chain, the game considers the identical elements (one in existence, the same in the blueprint) as prohibiting deploying the blueprint. In this case it would makes more sense that the blueprint can still be set, with only the extra items appended on the terrain as ghost.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

Porter65 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:30 am
ok... Yes I can deconstruct and reconstruct. Or try to be modular and extend by segments...

I'm surprised though that when you overlap a blueprint onto an existing production chain, the game considers the identical elements (one in existence, the same in the blueprint) as prohibiting deploying the blueprint. In this case it would makes more sense that the blueprint can still be set, with only the extra items appended on the terrain as ghost.
once you discovered that this can be used to your advantage, you will see it differently.

i sometimes specificly include entitys that i dont really need, just to make the rest space out
and just hold and drag it over the area i want it, later removing the few "spacers" with a filtered deconstruction planer

Think of walls in a chessboard style (often refered to as dragonteeth).

XOXOXOXOXOXO
OXOXOXOXOXOX
XOXOXOXOXOXO

where X is a wall, O is nothing. If you try hold and drag that, shifting it by one, it will fill out empty spaced (O) with X

In the top row, i replace the "nothing" with a belt or something i always carry anyway.
It looks like this

XBXBXBXBXBXB
OXOXOXOXOXO
XOXOXOXOXOX

Now, X cant be built on top of B, so it only builds every other tile
Its MUCH easier to then deconstruct B, than to play whackamole and hit all the tiles you want and avoid those you don´t.
Also, placing tileable BPs is much faster that way.

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

Thanks, nice ideas.

About spitters and their splash damage. Am I right that it splashes only in the 4 cardinal directions and not diagonally, meaning that

(1) it's a bad idea to make a double wall, as the line behind gets damaged as much as the fore line
(2) dragon teeth / staggered layout works best?

wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wobbycarly »

thereaverofdarkness wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:24 am
Upgrade planner only replaces entities with higher-tier counterparts. In order to switch your setup out for a larger setup, you would need a blueprint of the larger setup, which you can then apply by first using the deconstruction planner to clear the area, and then plonk the blueprint down.

You can also setup a factory segment which can be tiled, then you can plop the blueprint down multiple times to make a bigger factory.
To clarify, I'm pretty sure you can downgrade items, too, (eg, blue belts to yellow belt, stack inserter to fast inserter) if that's how you configure your upgrade planner. (Forgive me if I missed any context - I'm only joining this thread on the last page)

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Porter65 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:30 am

Hold SHIFT to force-place the blueprint.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

Excellent, that's exactly what I needed!

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

Is the spawn rate of biters from their nest modulable somewhere? I play with death world settings, so that's perhaps the issue, but once they feel threatened, each nest spawns from 3 to 5 critters every couple seconds, so this makes destroying a large base nigh impossible, given the flood of critters pouring from everywhere, even a row of turrets just can't keep up - so no turret creeps.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Porter65 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:38 am
Is the spawn rate of biters from their nest modulable somewhere? I play with death world settings, so that's perhaps the issue, but once they feel threatened, each nest spawns from 3 to 5 critters every couple seconds, so this makes destroying a large base nigh impossible, given the flood of critters pouring from everywhere, even a row of turrets just can't keep up - so no turret creeps.
The whole point of Deathworld is to make the game harder. If you find this an issue in 0.16, things are about to get much harder in 0.17. You can adjust the settings for biters, pollution and evolution (all 3 affect how much enemies evolve) in the New Game tabs, but by changing them to something easier what results would no longer be true Deathworld.

But, I think you are taking too simple an approach towards killing nests, and that is why it is failing.

Here are some tips:

- Very early in the game AP ammo + military ammo upgrades + turrets will do the trick.

- Eventually you will need a tank on solid or rocket fuel + explosive rockets(+AP for mop up) attacking while running in a circle around their base with a huge mob chasing you as you focus first on worms, then nests, then the mob.

- Next the only way to stop them will become a bank of lasers (with bots repairing).

- Next you will need flamethrowers to supplement the lasers.

- Finally Artillery will eventually be needed to wipe nests, triggering a mass assault that has to be defended from with lasers and flamethrowers.

I skipped shields, personal lasers, combat robots and flamethrower on your person and tank. All of them provide alternative methods.

The best advice I can give though is to go through the Deathworld settings and write down every value in the New Game tabs, then drop back to normal game until you learn to beat them in that mode, then gradually adjust the settings in new games until you are using the same settings as Deathworld.

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

No, I won't quit, and I'm on 0.17 Deathworld! Well, I'll quit when the bitters break into my main base...

So for now, I'm a bit stranded in resources, and if I output more, pollution spreads too much. So I'm taking a low profile approach. I get some raids, but not too often.
I just cleaned a base with turret creeps, it costs me 500 ammo. Not super worthwhile, but I'm researching flame throwers at least.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Grenades deal well with biter swarms (at least until blue biters show up...)

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

How can I exchange blueprints from one of my game to another? I'm currently copying the string in a txt file (naming it after the BP name) and then I reinject it into the new game when I need it, but it seems rather old school.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Porter65 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:41 am
How can I exchange blueprints from one of my game to another? I'm currently copying the string in a txt file (naming it after the BP name) and then I reinject it into the new game when I need it, but it seems rather old school.
Put your blueprints into the blueprint library. B key.

Warning: The blueprint library is local to your computer and is not yet being copied over to another by steam sync.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

It can be transferred across Factorio folders in the form of blueprint-storage.dat

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

Great, thanks!

Sorry to ask this question here, as this pertains to modding, but is there a mod that makes the big yellow 'out of power' more subdued? I searched and found nothing.

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DaleStan »

Picker Tweaks will do that for you. (Along with several other things you can choose to disable.)

Return to “Gameplay Help”