[0.17.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.17.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by bobingabout »

An update a lot of you have been waiting for:

Enemies 0.17.3:
Changed Bob's spawner enemy spawns to be more in line with new base game.
Bob's nests spawn further out from the starting area.
Spitters and Worms will now target their spit to a position ahead of you and not home like 0.17 base game spit projectiles.
Added option to choose Leviathan spawn frequency (at Evolution Factor 1.0) (Between 0 and 1, default 0.05)
Added option to allow harder enemies to spawn at a lower Evolution Factor level
Added option to increase the health of most bob enemies between huge and behemoth
Added option to add a higher tier spawner

Also, I have a new icon.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Options to improve the balance curve is always welcomed.

Robert the construction worker is somehow amusing to me, not sure why.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

These are some welcomed changes. Thank you for your efforts to please everyone! :)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

RocketManChronicles wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:06 am
These are some welcomed changes. Thank you for your efforts to please everyone! :)
Light wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:58 pm
Although you can set Leviathan spawns to 1, I wouldn't recommend going above 0.3. Also if you don't like Leviathans, you can set it to 0, and they just don't spawn.

Setting leviathans to 0.1 and turning on the super nests, and health update does kind of make enemy attacks pretty brutal.not only are Leviathans more common, but the titans and behemoths are almost as hard to kill, and at end game, those are the only things that spawn from a super nest.
You can turn on the other option too and they'll spawn harder enemies at lower evolution factors. big at 0.4 instead of 0.5, everything is 0.1 earlier after that until leviathans that spawn at 0.9 instead of 0.95. Note, this option does not change base game spawners, only bob spawners.
Robert the construction worker is somehow amusing to me, not sure why.
Bob the Builder perhaps?
I also have a Patreon.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

bobingabout wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:15 am
Although you can set Leviathan spawns to 1, I wouldn't recommend going above 0.3. Also if you don't like Leviathans, you can set it to 0, and they just don't spawn.
"Wouldn't recommend going above 0.3" LOL, I am putting that to the test! :)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:08 am
if you set it to 0.3, 1 in 3 enemies spawned by a super spawner will be a leviathan.
it's a bit lower for other spawners, like 1 in 5.
but that's still A LOT of Leviathans
I also have a Patreon.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:17 am
if you set it to 0.3, 1 in 3 enemies spawned by a super spawner will be a leviathan.
Notes taken. I will probably play with it to a point where my defenses barely hold... which means I might be upping the factor as I research infinite tech. :)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:01 am
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:17 am
Notes taken. I will probably play with it to a point where my defenses barely hold... which means I might be upping the factor as I research infinite tech. :)
If that's what you're after, try turning on the health overhaul first. it can make the titans and behemoths (bob's) pretty hard to kill.
I also have a Patreon.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Something that would be worth revisiting would be the distinction of different nest types. It's very hard to tell in 0.17 when past versions were very clear to tell apart.

All five nest types are in here, but it would be nice if they stood out just a little bit better. Especially the super one.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:03 am
Something that would be worth revisiting would be the distinction of different nest types. It's very hard to tell in 0.17 when past versions were very clear to tell apart.

All five nest types are in here, but it would be nice if they stood out just a little bit better. Especially the super one.
Unfortunately that's due to a change in the base game mask. There's not really anything I can do about it unless I go with "Major surgery", AKA, custom edit of the graphics. Since everything is currently just done in a simple function to create the graphics... yeah, major surgery.
I did choose a colour for super nests that would stand out though, It's bright magenta/pink. Though, now that you put them all together, it is pretty hard to tell the difference betwen the top right one being spitter and the right one being super.

Keep in mind that I do not want to go playing graphic surgery, so the base game spitter and biter nests would remain as they are, and the mask isn't going to change... what colours would you recommend?
I think base game spitter spawner is red, and biter is orange. Which doesn't help when my spitter nest is also orange.
I also have a Patreon.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:45 pm

Unfortunately that's due to a change in the base game mask. There's not really anything I can do about it unless I go with "Major surgery", AKA, custom edit of the graphics. Since everything is currently just done in a simple function to create the graphics... yeah, major surgery.
I did choose a colour for super nests that would stand out though, It's bright magenta/pink. Though, now that you put them all together, it is pretty hard to tell the difference betwen the top right one being spitter and the right one being super.

Keep in mind that I do not want to go playing graphic surgery, so the base game spitter and biter nests would remain as they are, and the mask isn't going to change... what colours would you recommend?
I think base game spitter spawner is red, and biter is orange. Which doesn't help when my spitter nest is also orange.
The changes wouldn't need to be drastic to achieve a good result:

Lowering the brightness of the elemental nests on bottom by 40% was enough to achieve the brown colour from pre-0.17. The more distinct purple tint of the super nest will easily stand out among 50+ nests, which is most important as it's the biggest threat.

This only took a minute in Photoshop, so if you need a custom sprite sheet for those changes then I'd be willing to quickly do that for you, provided it can't be achieved by code.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:38 pm
Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:45 pm

The changes wouldn't need to be drastic to achieve a good result:

Lowering the brightness of the elemental nests on bottom by 40% was enough to achieve the brown colour from pre-0.17. The more distinct purple tint of the super nest will easily stand out among 50+ nests, which is most important as it's the biggest threat.

This only took a minute in Photoshop, so if you need a custom sprite sheet for those changes then I'd be willing to quickly do that for you, provided it can't be achieved by code.
Changing tints are easily achievable in code, that's pretty much the only thing different between them, they have a tint.
I don't want to go with brown, I looked at them and decided... Biter is orange, spitter is red, lets do a hue shift. now elemental Biter is Yellow (instead of green) and elemental spitter is purpley (instead of orange, it's more red with a slight purple tint in it)
so what colour is super nests? Blue.

I could revert, keep elemental biter nests green, go Yellow for elemental spitter nests, and then a deeper purple (like your example) for super nests.
I also have a Patreon.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

The problem with belt speeds

Post by mrvn »

I love the overhault belts and inserters. The colors and recipes for the tires just fit all over. That said the speed overhaul is pretty broken, which is probably nothing you can do about.

When using the default speed override of 12.5 what you actually get is 11.2 or so. Internaly items seem to move an integer amount of pixels every now and then. With 60 ticks/s there is only a limited number of speeds that works right. I'm not even sure there are other speeds than the 7.5 / 15 / 30 / 45 / 60 sequence that works out nicely internally.

I want at least a speed of 12 because many recipes result in 1, 2, 3, 4 or 6 item/s which are all factors of 12. From testing with come combinators to measure belt speed I tried to find one that's just about 12 items/s and here is what I've got:

Setting speed to 12.5 gives ~11.2 items/s. That remains up to speed 13.1. Setting speed 13.2 (or was it 13.3?) it jumps to a real speed of 13.15 items/s. That seems to be the smallest speed above 12.

Bob: Since you have source access could you maybe look up the formula for the belt speed and limit the values for belt speed to values the belt will actually achieve please. It's annoying to see speed 12.5 when hovering over a belt but actually only getting 11.2 items/s. Or maybe kick that to the devs to show the actual speed in the tool tip.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: The problem with belt speeds

Post by BlueTemplar »

mrvn wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:26 am
When using the default speed override of 12.5 what you actually get is 11.2 or so. Internaly items seem to move an integer amount of pixels every now and then. With 60 ticks/s there is only a limited number of speeds that works right. I'm not even sure there are other speeds than the 7.5 / 15 / 30 / 45 / 60 sequence that works out nicely internally.
See also :
viewtopic.php?p=423448#p423448
BlueTemplar wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:14 pm
Not sure why 7/8px/ti works, but 20i/s gets rounded down to 10/8px/ti=5/4px/ti, rather than up to 11/8px/ti ??
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Yeah, as I said in the other topic:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:01 pm
in either case, the default of 12.5/s doesn't work as intended, you should either leave the speed overhaul off where you get 7.5, 15, 30, 45, 60, 75 (which is the same end result of 12.5, 25, 37.5, 50, 62.5, 75, which is why I chose it) or manually change the speed per step to 15 and get 15, 30, 45, 60, 75, 90.
I also have a bug report about it, which seems to be being ignored.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=67856
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Assembly 0.17.3:
Chemical plant power usage reduced from 210kW to 160kW
Assembling machine 3 power usage reduced from 375kW to 210kW
Updated for 0.17.29 pollution method
Updated furnace and oil refinery graphics to HD
Removed upgrade from non-effect technologies
Added colours update option

Electronics 0.17.3:
Added prerequisite of chemical processing and alloy processing to Electronics (for Carbon and Solder)

Inserters 0.17.4:
Removed the option, the GUI now just opens with Shift + E in the center and with the main GUI on the left.

Logistics 0.17.7:
Renamed bob-infinite-worker-robots-storage technologiy to bob-infinite-worker-robots-storage-1 to make it display a number
Fixed iron underground pipe fast replace (And all other methods such as upgrade planner)
Changed default value of belt speed overhaul speed per level to 15. strange things happen unless you use specific numbers (multiples of 3.75)

Mining 0.17.3:
Added upgrade to steel-axe technology

Modules 0.17.3:

MCI 0.17.3:
Changed cheaper steel energy_required to match 0.17 values
Added new steel alternative recipe in the options, on by default.

Power 0.17.4:
Fixed oil generator smoke. It's a bit heavy, but there seems to be a bug where anything less than the current frequency causes it to not show at all.
Removed upgrade from all technologies

Revamp 0.17.2:
Removed upgrade from chemical plant technology
Changes to satellite recipe now effect space science pack technology (Which unlocks the satellite in 0.17) instead of rocket silo.
Change rocket-fuel-updates.lua to check for what rocket-fuel.lua created instead of what it's looking for, to prevent it tripping up from other non-bob mods.

Vehicle equipment 0.17.1:
Vehicle Roboport no longer draws power. Like personal version.
Removed upgrade from all technologies

Warfare 0.17.4:
Fixed battery-equipment and energy-shield-equipment technologies locale entries
I also have a Patreon.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Wow! Major updates. Thank you for your hard work Bob!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:42 pm
Wow! Major updates. Thank you for your hard work Bob!
I've been slowly working on all this for over a month. I just decided it was about time to actually release all the stuff sitting on my hard drive.
I also have a Patreon.

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by septemberWaves »

I just thought I'd share the compact setup I'm using for basic electronic boards. Easily tileable; six of the arrays (two are pictured) will almost fill one side of a grey belt; simple modifications to the output inserters to drop on the opposite side of the belt allows a (nearly) full output belt with twelve arrays. If anyone wants the blueprint I will be happy to provide it. Obviously this only covers the end stage of the process; production for the intermediates used in this array is not nearly so neat (currently).

Apologies if this is not the correct place to share such setups.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Anyway... update time.

Warfare 0.17.5:
updated bob-power-armor-3 prerequisites for 0.17.35 changes

Tech 0.17.3:
updated personal-roboport-equipment-2 for 0.17.35 changes

MCI 0.17.4:
Updated for 0.17.35 player -> character changes

Assembly 0.17.4:

electronics 0.17.4:

there's also a related change to classes... but while these versions WILL work in older versions of the game, Classes will not. and the game isn't smart enough to not try to install it.
septemberWaves wrote: ↑
Wed May 01, 2019 5:14 pm

I just thought I'd share the compact setup I'm using for basic electronic boards. Easily tileable; six of the arrays (two are pictured) will almost fill one side of a grey belt; simple modifications to the output inserters to drop on the opposite side of the belt allows a (nearly) full output belt with twelve arrays. If anyone wants the blueprint I will be happy to provide it. Obviously this only covers the end stage of the process; production for the intermediates used in this array is not nearly so neat (currently).

Apologies if this is not the correct place to share such setups.
It's not a bad setup.
I guess I don't really have a topic dedicated to factory layouts.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to β€œBob's mods”