altering an already downloaded mod

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Fisher68
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

altering an already downloaded mod

Post by Fisher68 »

Hi guys,

Hope no-one takes this topic the wrong way, because I want to assure all modders concerned that the purpose of this message is to alter mods for my own private use. I have downloaded a lot of mods onto my computer, but since the game has moved onto 0.17 some of the mods will only work on the 0.16 issue.
So my question is how can I alter the mods to work on the 0.17 issue as some have been updated and some haven't, and I really enjoyed using the mods. I have tried to alter the the mods in the mods folder on my computer and saved the file only for it to revert back to the original issue of .016. Please can anyone help?

Hiladdar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: altering an already downloaded mod

Post by Hiladdar »

There are many reasons why a mod has not been upgraded. For example, belt immunity was not part of .16, but is part of .17, therefore there was no reason to upgrade it. Other reasons may be that the developer of that mod has simply moved, and is either no longer playing Factorio, or for some reason will not upgrade their mod. Gizmos Car Keys comes to mind. Some mods or groups of mods took quite a bit of time to upgrade, mostly due to the complexity of the mod, or the number of dependencies.

Regarding the problem you have in saving the mod. If you are doing the work within a compressed folder (zip), that save will not take effect. This is because the way windows handles editing zip files, is to create a temporary file to extract from the compressed folder. Then when you save your changes, they are changed within the temporary file, and not the actual file within the zip file. The way to fix this is to extract the entire mod from the zip file into the mod folder. You can leave the zip file within the mod folder. Factorio is programmed smartly in that if there is an unzipped mod, it will be used in preference over a zipped mod. Make your local changes within the extracted mod, and it should work. Alternatively you can edit the file, save it outside the zip file, then destructively overwrite the file within the zip file with your local edits. I recommend the first option.

Hiladdar

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

To add, you must update the version upwards, to avoid confusing the mod portal and the mod-sync capabilities in 0.17.

Fisher68
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Fisher68 »

Thank you for your help, it has helped a lot.

Kindest regards

Return to “Modding help”