[Twinsen] [0.17.28] Pipette tool in map mode

Bugs that are actually features.
burninghey
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[Twinsen] [0.17.28] Pipette tool in map mode

Post by burninghey »

1) in map mode, cloning any building with 'q' works fine, except for substations. You have to press shift as if there were any obstacles.
2) (not related to substations) cloning with 'q' does not preserve any modules or recipes. bug or feature?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.28]cloning Substations

Post by kovarex »

What do you mean by cloning with 'q'?

burninghey
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by burninghey »

the pipette tool (assigned to Q at standard keyboard layout)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

The pipete is only there to select the entity type, not to copy circuit connections. For copying circuit connections, you can use the copy-paste.

burninghey
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by burninghey »

I am sorry, you did not get the point- my report was about the building itself - no circuitry!

1) go to map mode
2) pipette any building
3) ghost from the building at your cursor and you could (in 0.17.28) click anywhere on the map to build the ghost

The Bug Report was about pipette'ing the substations did not work this way. I had to press "shift" to be able to place the ghost.

Now, in 0.17.31, it got worse - but without rerolling 0.17.28 and assuming, you did not change this, my bug report might have been wrong or incomplete. I just recognized what was the cause:

- pipete in map mode without the item in your inventory works for any building (substations too) as it should
- pipete in map mode with the item in your inventory does not and you have to press shift to be able to place the ghost

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Twinsen] [0.17.28] Pipette tool in map mode

Post by Twinsen »

As a clarification, what pipette tool does is simply select the item you have in your inventory. If no such item is in your inventory(and if you have the "pick ghost item" option enabled), a ghost of the item is picked instead.

map mode building works the same as normal building: you can build any item(regardless if you took it usong q, from the quickbar, or inventory) if it's in range of the player; if it's not you can build ghosts(using shift) anywhere.

- pipete in map mode without the item in your inventory works for any building (substations too) as it should
this is because a ghost is selected automatically, as indicated by the ghost icon.
- pipete in map mode with the item in your inventory does not and you have to press shift to be able to place the ghost
this is normal, you can't build real entities unless you are in range, regardless if it's in the map or in the game. You can build ghosts and you need to do that explicitly by using shift.

Return to “Not a bug”