Version 0.17.23

Information about releases and roadmap.
dognosh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Version 0.17.23

Post by dognosh »

Bob, you're a genuine Factorio hero :)

All others, when I downloaded the experimental I said "many bumps on the way !!!" . By the nature of its name it will have bad releases, calm down as I can tell you, as a 50+ year old who was gaming before any of you "ammo racked your mum's lady garden" , Factorio staff are superb and do their best for us all of the time :)

dorthak
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dorthak »

bobingabout wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:15 am
dorthak wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:01 pm
Not sure if this is related to Steam not updating, but when I download the Windows zip file, I can't open it with Win10's built-in unzip tool. I get "Windows cannot open the folder. The Compressed (zipped) Folder: 'C:\...\Factorio_x64_0.17.23.zxip' is invalid."

It's also only about half a GB, whereas version 0.17.20 was 1.2GB.

7-Zip does open it, but I can immediately see that not all the files that were there in prior versions are there.

I've tried downloading it twice, same results.

Given the problem with mods, I'm going to hold off on trying again, but figured someone might want to know.
I've had a similar issue, I tried to download it twice in firefox with no success and ended up with a small file, then tried in chrome and it downloaded fine. so, I recommend you either try a different browser, or flush the cache. Also it might not be that specific version.
Yup, downloaded fine in Chrome, thanks. Of course now .24 is out....
Honestly, I don't know LUA myself, I just muddle through. I have this sort of coding language intuition, where most of the time what I write, as long as it follows the style of language I'm looking at, seems to work. I do have to ocassionally look something up, or try a couple of variations and test on the game before they work without looking them up, but. I don't know LUA
I've always said, that if one knows how to program, one should be able to program in any language after a very short time (functional languages, and things like assembly, excluded). You won't be an expert in it, necessarily, but you should be able to do most routine work. Programming is programming. If you have the mindset, you can learn the syntax.

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

dorthak wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:24 pm
I've always said, that if one knows how to program, one should be able to program in any language after a very short time (functional languages, and things like assembly, excluded). You won't be an expert in it, necessarily, but you should be able to do most routine work. Programming is programming. If you have the mindset, you can learn the syntax.
This is why I laugh at people who think my uni was bad for having us use different languages in different courses, such as Fortran in numerical methods course. This exposure to many languages reinforces the mindset of programming, so we can go out and learn anything we need, and gives us the idea of 'the right tool for the job' so we are not trying to force the same one language we like/know into every project we ever do.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

starxplor wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:05 am
dorthak wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:24 pm
This is why I laugh at people who think my uni was bad for having us use different languages in different courses, such as Fortran in numerical methods course. This exposure to many languages reinforces the mindset of programming, so we can go out and learn anything we need, and gives us the idea of 'the right tool for the job' so we are not trying to force the same one language we like/know into every project we ever do.
In college. First year of my HND, Wednesday. My timetable had 2 hours of 68k assembly, half an hour break followed by 2 hours of PIC16 assembly, half an hour break followed by 2 and a half hours or C (in Borland C++ for MS-DOS, also by this time it was 8:30PM, and my college day started at 9AM). I think the best part of how confusing it was is when you consider things like... setting up the IO registers, in 68k you have 1 for output and 0 for input, and in PIC16 you have 0 for output and 1 for input.
Keep in mind I did Pascal and 68k in the previous semester. honestly though, if it wasn't for cramming 3 different languages back to back I probably wouldn't have the coding intuition I have now.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Kind reminder : please try to stay on topic :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Two
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Two »

Bilka wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:26 pm
We don't use LuaJIT. We use a modified version of Lua 5.2.1.
Necroing a bit here... You really should use LuaJIT. It would give a strong boost to UPS with almost no work on your side, as it is 99.9% compatible to standard LUA.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Two wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:30 pm
Bilka wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:26 pm
We don't use LuaJIT. We use a modified version of Lua 5.2.1.
Necroing a bit here... You really should use LuaJIT. It would give a strong boost to UPS with almost no work on your side, as it is 99.9% compatible to standard LUA.
You are wrong here, since as Blika said, it is modified version of Lua, and we would have to do a modified version of LuaJIT, which would be great amount of work.
I would prefer to leave it as it is, and get rid of lua someday completely in favor of some superior language.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

kovarex wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:38 pm
and get rid of lua someday completely in favor of some superior language.
Are we still talking about factorio here? I thought that was on the list of "things we want to do in our next game".
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Releases”