[Rseding91] [0.17.24] map2scenario overwrites map with old version of scenario

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
aaargha
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Rseding91] [0.17.24] map2scenario overwrites map with old version of scenario

Post by aaargha »

I have a save-file that I've earlier exported as a scenario using map2scenario to add some scripting, when done I used scenario2map to continue playing with the added scripts. Since then I've made changes to the map while playing. Now I want to add some additional scripting to it. However, when I use map2scenario on the new save-file the scenario becomes an old version of the map (likely from the last import though I'm not certain).

I'd expect map2scenario to produce a scenario with the updated map while still including the scripting from the scenario.

I've attached the save-file in question, just compare loading it to opening the scenario generated by running it through map2scenario. (Mods can be ignored)
Attachments
Throughput tester3.zip
(10.08 MiB) Downloaded 97 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.24] map2scenario overwrites map with old version of scenario

Post by Rseding91 »

map2scenario and scenario2map are outdated and ii'll probably remove them. You just use the map editor in-game and it can save/load scenarios/maps back and forth.

With that, said... I don't really understand what you're talking about.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Summey
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Summey »

In other words, aaargra is saying that converting a save to be used with the map editor is instead reverting the converted save (the one the map editor uses) back to a previous state of the map; if that makes sense. I just ran across this same issue tonight, actually, and it goes something like this.

I was playing a freeplay map in 0.16.newest and decided to update to 0.17.newest. I made a backup of my map, and converted it to 0.17 simply by loading the map in 0.17.
I messed around and changed things physically on the map, and have since saved it.
I tried to convert the most recent save file (0.17.newest) using the in-game "Convert Save" feature, in such case it does so without any problems.
Then, as I "Load(ed) a Scenario", the save that shows up in the editor is actually the version that existed right between 0.16 and 0.17; meaning it loaded the "save" that had been created the first time I loaded the map in 0.17, as every time I load the scenario in the editor, it presents me with the "Things that have been converted" popup. And, alas, none of my changes I made in 0.17 as present, either.

Essentially, the "Convert Save" function is broken when converting saves that were started in previous versions of the game, then loaded in 0.17 and converted to a scenario for editing; and, in the way that aaargha explained above, too. (There may be more idk but how would i kno)
I've got too much time on my hands.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Can you post the save file(s), scenario(s) and steps to reproduce the behavior?

aaargha
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aaargha »

Attaching a .zip of the resulting scenario. Hopefully the images below can help show the issue:
Loading the save
Opening converted scenario
To reproduce simply open the save in the OP and compare it to opening it through the map editor's save conversion feature.

What I have noticed is that the game automatically imports the original scenario upon loading the map, however, overwriting this with the save conversion feature still results in an old version of the scenario/map. Guessing here, but perhaps there is some conflict between the save conversion and automatic scenario extraction features?
Attachments
Throughput tester3 scenario.zip
Zip file of resulting scenario
(5.4 MiB) Downloaded 93 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Ok, I was able to reproduce it with the save file and it's now fixed for the next version of 0.17.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”