RubberBelts - Easier belt laying in the early game without substantially changing progression

All mods from Reika

Moderator: Reika

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

RubberBelts - Easier belt laying in the early game without substantially changing progression

Post by Reika »

Mod Info:
I often find that laying belts in the early game is very painful, as the iron they consume is demanded by so many other things, yet is in such short supply. Indeed, it often has the effect of driving me away from belt-based setups for no other reason than cost, and this usually results in ugly makeshift factories until the midgame where iron is plentiful enough to justify spending 2 or 3 plates per belt tile.

RubberBelts helps alleviate that, by replacing the iron plates (the belt "topping") in the belt with rubber. Nothing else changes. If you have rubber already in the game, it will use that; if not, it will create its own.

Screenshots/Video:
A sample wood->resin->rubber production area:

Belt recipe:

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: RubberBelts - Easier belt laying in the early game without substantially changing progression

Post by Pi-C »

Bio Industries has two recipes for resin. With your mod installed, I see these under the "Bio Industries" tab, and one (which has the same ingredients as the first from Bio Industries, but yields more) under "Intermediate products". Could you remove the recipe "1 wood --> 3 resin" from "Intermediate products" if Bio Industries is installed, please?
2 Resin recipes (Bio Industries)
2 Resin recipes (Bio Industries)
resin_bio.png (2.05 MiB) Viewed 5709 times
1 Resin recipe (Intermediate products)
1 Resin recipe (Intermediate products)
resin_intermediate.png (2.46 MiB) Viewed 5709 times
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: RubberBelts - Easier belt laying in the early game without substantially changing progression

Post by Reika »

How can I be sure that Bio Industries being installed guarantees the presence of a resin recipe? What if he updates the mod and removes it, or the mod is modular?

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

You've got a point there. Then again, you already did something like that for Bob's mods, apparently .

There is a mod called "What is it really used for?" that shows the recipe for resin from Rubber Belts and Bio Industries. Without knowing a thing about modding Factorio, I naively assume that it is possible, somehow, to check whether a recipe for a product already exists. So, let me rephrase my suggestion: Could you activate your resin recipe only if there is no other recipe for it? In case that only works for mods that have been loaded before your mod, would adding an optional dependency on BI help, perhaps?
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

Pi-C wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:21 pm
o, let me rephrase my suggestion: Could you activate your resin recipe only if there is no other recipe for it?
This is feasible, yes, but not always desirable. That said, I can add that as an option.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Having that as an option would be perfect! :-)

Mernom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mernom »

Reika wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:21 pm
How can I be sure that Bio Industries being installed guarantees the presence of a resin recipe? What if he updates the mod and removes it, or the mod is modular?
You could check the presence of the aftermentioned recipe, and only add yours if it doesn't exist.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Hi, I've another compatibility request:

math7 basic electric engine unit has an option to replace the iron gear in the transport belt recipe with a basic engine unit, but your mod reverts this change. Could you change your belt recipe to require a basic engine unit and rubber if that other mod is active, please -- similar like you did for AAI?

EDIT: This has now been fixed in the other mod!

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Hi! Just downloaded the latest version and got this crash:

Code: Select all

44.212 Mods to disable:Failed to load mods: __RubberBelts__/data-final-fixes.lua:3: __DragonIndustries__/recipe.lua:404: No such recipe 'wooden-belt'!
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'error'
	__DragonIndustries__/recipe.lua:404: in function 'createConversionRecipe'
	__RubberBelts__/prototypes/overrides.lua:25: in main chunk
	[C]: in function 'require'
	__RubberBelts__/data-final-fixes.lua:3: in main chunk
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'require'
	__RubberBelts__/data-final-fixes.lua:3: in main chunk

Mods to be disabled:
• RubberBelts (1.18.2)

TheRetroPerspective
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TheRetroPerspective »

Does anyone know how to solve this for the new update? Having the same problems as the above post. Got 3 pics here, first 2 are of the error I get with mods enabled then the other is with only rubber belts and dragonindustries. Cheers! =) https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

TheRetroPerspective
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TheRetroPerspective »

I'm pretty sure my problem is with the AAI industry recipe which should be motor+rubber. The error comes up when both mods are loaded and I managed to get it working without AAI Industry but that's also an essential one for me. Anyone know the problem? ='(

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

TheRetroPerspective wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:00 pm
I'm pretty sure my problem is with the AAI industry recipe which should be motor+rubber. The error comes up when both mods are loaded and I managed to get it working without AAI Industry but that's also an essential one for me. Anyone know the problem? ='(
I fixed an issue like that a long time ago, and this thread is not for bug reports.

Return to “Reika's Mods”