Could you please stop gating access to the main menu on having the sprites loaded?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

noob_hoarder
Inserter
Inserter

Could you please stop gating access to the main menu on having the sprites loaded?

Post by noob_hoarder »

TL;DR
Loading sprites seems to already be multi-threaded... Can the threads be kept in the background, to stop having the Main Menu inaccessible before that task finishes?
What ?
Going through the whole graphics defaults issue made me (yet again) long for such a feature... Basically: is there any reason why the game needs to fully load the damn sprites before allowing me access to the main menu?! When i just want to toggle some mods ( which results in repeated sprite-loading :roll: ), or look at the Options, or check the status/description/etc of a public MP game, i don't really need to have the sprite-loading status block my access, do i? Couldn't it be done in background and only delay the gameplay session start until all the textures are available?
Maybe if you did it like openTTD to have a demo game running as the background for the main menu, then i'd understand it, but TTBOMK you don't (yet) have that. ;)
Using images
See attachments,
To: mainMenu - tweaked (poorly).jpg
Why ?
Less time wasted by unneeded delays. And less frustrating for players in certain situations.

Speaking from my current perspective as an experimental-branch user, i could use that time to read the changelog. :geek:
Attachments
current.jpg
current.jpg (38.29 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
mainMenu - tweaked (poorly).jpg
mainMenu - tweaked (poorly).jpg (254.62 KiB) Viewed 1107 times

voddan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Could you please stop gating access to the main menu on having the sprites loaded?

Post by voddan »

+1 for this. Many non-game operations in Factorio still require a game reload, and waiting for the sprites to load when you don't actually need them is infuriating. This problem is x100 worse on older computers with HDs.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”