Blueprints: Mirror/flip

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Implement Foreman's Blueprint flipping

Post by Engimage »

Sadly not all entities can be flipped causing inconvenience in the feature. The best example are rail related entities.
While generally the feature is useful it will probably belong to modding.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Implement Foreman's Blueprint flipping

Post by Zavian »

Well they could implement blueprint flipping for blueprints that don't contain rails, rail signals, chem plants, refineries or chem plants. (With chem plants and refineries, they could (dis)allow flipping depending on the recipe. Plastic and solid fuel for instance don't change inputs when flipped, cracking does).

hooiberg
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Mirror blueprints

Post by hooiberg »

It would be very convenient to have the option to not only rotate blueprints, but to mirror them as well. And it should be fairly easy to implement. :-)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Blueprints: Mirror/flip

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged 5-6 topics about the same suggestion.
There are in addition quite a number of mixed suggestion topics I didn't merge purposefully
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[most important feature] for Blueprints

Post by nuhll »

Please, make it possible to mirror blueprints... PLEASE!!! :)

In (what ever mod it was) you could "simply" press ALT+R to archieve it, its very very usefull to mirror your blueprints.

Thank you very much!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic with same suggestion.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

THanks for merging, these suggestions are from 2014/2017 tho, why its not added? :roll:

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

This is from 2013, and it has not been added either :mrgreen: .
It's neither the age, nor the popularity of a suggestion that will guarantee it's added to the game. The devs have to juggle with a number of parameters like the coherence of the game, its maintenability, the overall gameplay experience, the fact they have to make choices, because they won't be able implement the community's suggestions forever, and many others.

Some less popular suggestions make it to the game, and some more popular don't. And some of the popular suggestions that did make it into the game are amongst the most criticized afterwards (Yeah, cliffs, I'm looking at you). We, as a community, ensure to provide our own creativity to supplment the devs' one, and the devs choose what they see fit to make the best game they can, and that's all :)

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Koub wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:53 pm
This is from 2013, and it has not been added either :mrgreen: .
It's neither the age, nor the popularity of a suggestion that will guarantee it's added to the game. The devs have to juggle with a number of parameters like the coherence of the game, its maintenability, the overall gameplay experience, the fact they have to make choices, because they won't be able implement the community's suggestions forever, and many others.

Some less popular suggestions make it to the game, and some more popular don't. And some of the popular suggestions that did make it into the game are amongst the most criticized afterwards (Yeah, cliffs, I'm looking at you). We, as a community, ensure to provide our own creativity to supplment the devs' one, and the devs choose what they see fit to make the best game they can, and that's all :)
Ofc they choose.

But they build it for us :>

We need this!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I think the reason the devs did not implement the feature is because if they do, they want it to behave in every bit as the player would expect.
Unfortunately, there are issues with mirroring (examples here : viewtopic.php?p=225836#p225836).
I wouldn't want, as a dev, to implement something that "doesn't work as expected all the time".

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Koub wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:42 am
I think the reason the devs did not implement the feature is because if they do, they want it to behave in every bit as the player would expect.
Unfortunately, there are issues with mirroring (examples here : viewtopic.php?p=225836#p225836).
I wouldn't want, as a dev, to implement something that "doesn't work as expected all the time".
While this is true I would still welcome mirroring/flipping blueprints. Since things breaks I would suggest having an option to remove everything that would break.

There are a lot of constructs that can be mirrored or flipped that people use. Like having a row of furnaces on both sides of a belt. A very common setup. If you get 90% of your factory mirrored in the blueprint that's still 90% work saved for creating the full mirrored setup.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Koub wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:42 am
As I have already pointed out in this post of mine, the issue with fluids could be solved by implementing this suggestion.

However, the issue with train stations remains.

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

And there are ways to deal with entities that can't be flipped. An error or warning message if a blueprint contains entities that can't be flipped, possibly combined with an override. I understand and agree there are issues, but at a bare minimum there are a large number of blueprints that would benefit from this and it's be a better solution than we currently have to allow flipping unless there are entities in a blueprint that are known for not being flippable.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

It doesnt matter what you do, you will ALWAYS have problems, in this world, in computers, there is no 100% (!!!). We see this after EACH RELEASE of factorio!!!!

Which is no problem for the community, if something breaks, they deal with it.

Like other users said, if it works 90% of time, then it works 90% of time instead of 0% of time... :roll:

If you say you dont want to make things which are not 100% working, then you should stop programing, because there is always some thing you missed....

More ppl use it, more bugs gets fixxed, until its perfectly... liek all functions in factorio evolved over time....

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Why not just disabling flipping at blueprints including non flippable entities.
BOOM

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

steinio wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:01 pm
BOOM
Too easy. xD

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

steinio wrote:
BOOM
Feedback. People will get confused on why they can flip some blueprints and not others. Having an error/warning message of some kind is important.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I'd rather have a warning (at the top of the blueprint, in red for example) saying "Some entities might not work as expected when mirrored", and cherry on the top, if the blueprint would shoh (red background) which ones might get an issue once flipped along the wanted axis, it would be über neat.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

steinio wrote:
BOOM
This ^^

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

Hi,

In my game experience, i was in need of that option too, but because of inserter side output in some situations, the warning for some cases just to inform it's a mirrored version seems ok to me. i hope it gonna be implemented.

thank you for making the game better.
Last edited by Tekillaa on Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
It should be add in the game: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67650 :)

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”