[kovarex] [0.17.1] "'Item' is in the way" message should not appear for the same item placed

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[kovarex] [0.17.1] "'Item' is in the way" message should not appear for the same item placed

Post by wahming »

e.g. if you're placing transport belts, and you click on another belt in the same facing, you get the floating error message "Transport belt is in the way". This is unnecessary and irrelevant information. As a general rule, if whatever is in the way is the same object and the exact same positioning as what you're trying to place, skip the error message.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.1] "'Item' is in the way" message should not appear for the same item placed

Post by kovarex »

Yes, I agree, that in this case, it shouldn't make the message.

gamestefan
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.17.1] "'Item' is in the way" message should not appear for the same item placed

Post by gamestefan »

I noticed that the same happens when pasting a blueprint over existing items using the new copy-paste features. Placing the blueprint holding shift does not give a floating message.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Should this be happening ?
Attachments
cannot_fast-replace_ghost_belt.jpg
cannot_fast-replace_ghost_belt.jpg (27.42 KiB) Viewed 11054 times
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

catpig
Inserter
Inserter

Post by catpig »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:50 am
I think I would prefer it would let you overwrite in that situation, like with real belt placing.

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

catpig wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:11 pm
BlueTemplar wrote:
I think I would prefer it would let you overwrite in that situation, like with real belt placing.
Agreed.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Reika wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:26 pm
catpig wrote:
BlueTemplar wrote:
Agreed.
Ghost building tweaks like this is one of the bigger tasks for later :)

Solinya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Solinya »

wahming wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:25 am
e.g. if you're placing transport belts, and you click on another belt in the same facing, you get the floating error message "Transport belt is in the way". This is unnecessary and irrelevant information. As a general rule, if whatever is in the way is the same object and the exact same positioning as what you're trying to place, skip the error message.
In general I would agree, but there are some cases it's useful. For example, when building a stone wall through a forest, the tree sprites cover up tiles above them, so it can be hard to tell if there's a wall underneath all the trees. In this case, seeing "a wall is in the way" actually helped confirm I had a solid wall present as there's no way (afaik) to rotate the camera or see under the trees without removing them.

It's also been a little helpful when trying to upgrade e.g. red belt to yellow belt on belts full of items in the middle of a multi-belt bus, where it can be hard to tell which type is under the mess. Same with items where it can be hard to tell if they're a blueprint ghost or not (such as small power poles).

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

I'm just curious, is there any particular reason why this is stickied?

tehfreek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by tehfreek »

It's probably one of those important-but-not-trivial fixes, so its visibility needs to be high.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Acknowledged problem that isn't fixed right away, so it stays on the top and is not reported repeatadly.

wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wahming »

kovarex wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:44 pm
Acknowledged problem that isn't fixed right away, so it stays on the top and is not reported repeatadly.
I suppose that means it'll be fixed next week instead of this week.

Ultros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ultros »

catpig wrote:
BlueTemplar wrote:
+1 to the agree. This also applies to replacing a non-ghost entity with a ghost entity, which I think should also be allowed. Without modding reach, it is annoying to have to run over to rotate an item when your workflow deals with mostly remote bot placement.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

Ultros wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:38 pm
catpig wrote:
BlueTemplar wrote:
+1 to the agree. This also applies to replacing a non-ghost entity with a ghost entity, which I think should also be allowed. Without modding reach, it is annoying to have to run over to rotate an item when your workflow deals with mostly remote bot placement.
I'm not quite sure about directly replacing non-ghosts with ghosts, as it can mess up some workflows e.g. copy/pasting chunks of belt to extend busses. Maybe using a modifier key (Ctrl? Shift doesn't feel like a proper fit for this in all situations).

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Place a gate over a wall (or wall over a gate) and it works fine.
Do the same with a ghost, error, cannot place gate, wall is in the way.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Thanks for the report, it is solved for the next release.

NickKsh
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [kovarex] [0.17.1] "'Item' is in the way" message should not appear for the same item placed

Post by NickKsh »

Yes! Finally! Thank you kovarex <3

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”