Option to disable no-power flashing / Remove potential epilepsy problem / Reduce distraction on power loss

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Option to disable no-power flashing / Remove potential epilepsy problem / Reduce distraction on power loss

Post by British_Petroleum »

I'm sure lots of people have suggested this before, but why hasn't it been implemented? It's the most annoying thing about the game imo. Even if it just showed the no-power icon but didn't flash that would be so much better. Why does it have to flash... often power poles will be the last thing to place when designing something so you have to endure all this flashing while working on the design. Please have an option to disable the flashing.
Last edited by ssilk on Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed title according to thread

Vasillo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Option to disable no-power flashing

Post by Vasillo »

That's all fine and dandy 'till you wonder why half your factory isn't producing anything or your laser turrets aren't firing and biters are eating your face a lot

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Maybe there is a difference between
a) No power connection at all (should be fixed soon)
b) Connected, but no power (dangerous)
c) Connected, but no power because switched off by power switch (wanted)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

mattj256
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mattj256 »

ssilk wrote:Maybe there is a difference between
a) No power connection at all (should be fixed soon)
b) Connected, but no power (dangerous)
c) Connected, but no power because switched off by power switch (wanted)
British_Petroleum never said (a) shouldn't have a warning, just that it shouldn't blink.

I agree that it's reasonable to place power poles last, and I agree that the flashing warning icons can be distracting. I don't like the idea of a new option - the behavior should be the same for everyone. There's too many options already and it doesn't add value to add a checkbox for this one.

Rather than having (a) blinking, how about if it has a BIG nonflashing warning icon like an uncharged accumulator?

Maybe there should also be a timeout: if an entity is in (a) for more than five minutes it switches to look like (b)? The most important thing is that the warnings in (a) and (b) shouldn't be subtle. I don't want to forget or get distracted and then be surprised when it isn't working.

For (c), I think the "no power" icon should be nonflashing with a gray background. Or you could color the whole entity more gray. (Not transparent because that will be confused with ghost building.)

I would add (d), which is a brownout. Your factory is running but not at full capacity. (Electrical consumption is greater than electrical production.)
Right now the animations run more slowly (for inserters and assemblers and so on), but my computer varies between 15 FPS to 40 or 50 FPS so when I see a slow inserter I don't know whether this indicates a power problem unless I mouse over to check.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

I agree. I can't think while it's blinking so I have to connect whatever I'm building just to get rid of the blinking icons. Hard to design something when the natural state of something that is half finished sends out brain shutdown impulses...

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Add this code to prototype.energy_source for disabling "no power" icon.

Code: Select all

render_no_power_icon = false

rebusb
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rebusb »

Revisiting this topic because I just ran into this as an issue. I am hoping that there is a solution less drastic than turning off all no-electric warnings. Searches just turn up this thread.

Building a new high tech Titan foundry, all electric. Was planning on being able to switch on and off sections of furnaces, but when the power is off in a zone ...issue c)... flashing icons, lots of them, sending a false warning. Yes, there is no power but that is the desired condition thus does not require notification.

Really seems like the game should not report switched off electric networks as an critical network error.

Maddhawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Maddhawk »

Really should just be a simply toggle in options for static or flashing warning icons. If you toggle static warnings on, then when there is a power shortage or whatever is causing the warning, the icon will appear on top of the structure and sit there without blinking at you.

equitime77
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by equitime77 »

I totally agree that something needs to be done re the flashing. If they just had an option to turn the flashing off that will be a great help. It also does the same thing for me with the flashing that happens when a construction planner is placed. Also, the alarms that can be made, I wish they were either on or off :(

tk0421
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tk0421 »

one of the first things i look for whenever there is a major version change, is in the setting to see if there is a way to customize which flashing world and map icons are shown or not.

I would love option toggles, or even better hotkeyable options, for all of these: power, bots, circuits, etc.
Or at the least, a maybe half-distancetoedgeofscreen radius around the player which would mute the flashing, to eliminate eyesore

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

I tried to tackle this issue before with a mod that makes the warnings less distracting: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/SmoothWarnings
(I'm sorry, i forgot to do accumulators back then, maybe some day i'd decide to update it but accumulators do that so rarely i didn't even think about it.)

I find the yellow soft icons even comforting to the eye

Also it's BAD if warning is preventing player from seeing graphics details of the entity itself too much.

DreamConspiracy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Option to Remove Blinking Icons for Missing Power Source or Low Power

Post by DreamConspiracy »

Add a setting that removes the blinking icons when there's no power supply in the circuit network, or the power is low. Something like "Show power warnings." Currently, working with combinators that are intentionally disconnected from power is incredibly annoying, as the icon takes up most of the combinator and it's hard to see where wires and other things are. Equally good would be an option to make the warnings much less... invasive.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Option to Remove Blinking Icons for Missing Power Source or Low Power

Post by Koub »

Shameless self-advertisement incoming :)
viewtopic.php?p=380450#p380450
This suggestion would most probably be a step even further
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

gli7ched
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Factorio, Unpowered Warnings and Epilepsy

Post by gli7ched »

TL;DR
Allow the ability to toggle/make unpowered warnings/other flashing elements static or turn them off completely, plus add epilepsy/photosensitivity warnings to the opening of the game and store pages.

What ?
I have a couple suggestions on how to implement this.
1. Allow the ability to toggle unpowered warnings on elements, and other flashing elements on and off.
2. Make these warnings static/make the option to toggle static warnings (aka they appear, but don't flash).
3. Add Epilepsy warnings to the game (preferably on store pages, as well as while the game is opening).
Why ?
Currently the game has elements that trigger epilepsy/photosensitivity in players. For myself, someone who has had epilepsy for all of my adult life, this has made Factorio unplayable. This is disappointing because I love Factorio. It's an awesome game, with an awesome premise. I play many games, and Factorio triggers my photosensitivity way more consistently than any other game I've ever played. I have also read other threads from other people who have had issues with photosensitivity from Factorio.

I hate to say it, but this will cause me to stop playing Factorio until something is implemented or a Mod gets released.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Factorio, Unpowered Warnings and Epilepsy

Post by eradicator »

1) I've also always found the blinking most annoying and wanted it to be either constantly fully opaque, or at least a smoother blend-in/blend-out. I'm pretty sure this has already been asked for countless times though, so official support seems unlikely to me :/. I'm not aware of any mods or moddability of the blink-effect, but i wonder if it would be realistic to request a utility_constant to make it moddable....

3) As i don't have epilepsy (lucky me) i percieve them mostly as legalize bullshit that lawyers tell everyone to include just to be sure. They're on *every* tripe-AAA game, and on no indie game (presumably because most indie companies don't have dedicated legal departments). They add some agonizing seconds to the startup time that are of no use to me (same as all the unskippable company logos...). And as epilepsy seems to be a higly individual condition it would seem to me that no (non-)affected developer could ever be sure that their game is guaranteed to never trigger anyones epilepsy and thus affected persons have to rely on their own judgement anyway, like you seem to have done for factorio already. (Not trying to be patronizing, just don't have IRL experience with epilepsy.)

So from personal experience, how useful are those warnings to you really? Do you straight out skip any game that has a warning or do you try them anyway (or watch gameplay streams to get a feeling)? Do you assume every indie game that has no warning is completely safe?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

gli7ched
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by gli7ched »

eradicator wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:08 pm
So from personal experience, how useful are those warnings to you really? Do you straight out skip any game that has a warning or do you try them anyway (or watch gameplay streams to get a feeling)? Do you assume every indie game that has no warning is completely safe?
For me I pay attention to warnings as some games have issues, some don't. That being said, I usually watch some streams of every game I consider buying to get a feel for it. Watching a video vs experiencing it can be different tho (in my experience).

No, I don't assume every indie game is safe, just like I don't assume every game with a warning can have an effect. For example I play The Division, which has a warning, and that game, I have never ever had an issue with. That being said, epilepsy and photosensitivity vary from person to person.

That all being said, the warnings for sure have a place, and should be included especially on games that have reports from players of photosensitivity. The same way allergy warnings on food is helpful to consumers.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Making them smaller might help ?
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/LessUnplugged
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter