Heresy!

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Heresy!

Post by The Phoenixian »

Ladies and gentlemen, I must admit to a horrid heresy. I am in the mid game, and I use burner mines and inserters extensively.

But in all seriousness, I find burner mines and inserters to be very useful for coal mines and steam plants when you're worried about power failures.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Heresy!

Post by ssilk »

I use burner inserters also to feed the burners. And for filling up gun turrets (one lane magazines, the other coal, spares to lay out poles and they are so cheap!
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

shipmaster4000
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by shipmaster4000 »

So i find burner inserters and burner mining drills to be extreamly enoying. So i rush to power then make steam power plants that rivel the size of the other half of my base

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

You... You... What have you done? :x

Yeah, I do it ssilk. Building maybe one or two burner inserter, after that I convert to electricity.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

It depends on your starting map.
Ever had very low copper?
Surrounding the factory with guns feeded by burner inserters from a basic belt is far cheaper, than doing that with lasers. If you make the belt also in a circle around your base you can use inserters to feed it only with 5-20% of the possible storage on the belt.
This is also quite stable against power drops.
This saves you the copper in the early stage.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Manti
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Manti »

MaxStrategy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MaxStrategy »

I'm not even mad : )

Burner inserters became a lot more useful since they gave them the ability to fuel themselves.

Mangledpork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mangledpork »

I did a couple of videos on the uses of burner inserters back when 0.10 first came out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FRjELxW0kA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia7v-myc9wY
I managed to talk about them for half an hour!

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

Manti wrote:Now you may want to check this: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=5&t=5400
I see, but the thing about burner inserters, and other burner machines, Isn't that they are on par or competitive with electric equipment in any given capacity --- in fact in many ways I expect them to be always worse --- but that they need a different kind of resource than the other machines do. The question of Burner machines is not one of "Is this superior in it's own right?" but rather "Do I have a reason not to use electricity?"
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

roothorick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by roothorick »

Now that I've discovered construction robots, I've committed to the idea of waiting to start solar until much later in the game -- when I get construction robots, actually. Automated production of solar panels/accumulators and a blueprint of ratioed out panels and accumulators positioned around a substation makes it surprisingly easy to OVERbuild.

Return to “General discussion”