DarkMinaz's Water Storage Based UPS System

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

darkminaz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

DarkMinaz's Water Storage Based UPS System

Post by darkminaz »

Dear Community

Here is my setup for an emergency Steam Engine UPS System.

What you need to attach to your network for it.
1 Offshore Pump
1 Steam Engine
1 Boiler
2 Inserter
2 Burner Inserter
1 Fast Inserter
1 Smart Inserter
1 Smart Box
3 Green Wires / Red Wires
1 radar
x Small Pumps
x Small Electric Pumps
x Belts
x Pipes

How to setup:
Add the Smart inserter + Smart Box to your existing coal Belt Network, add the green wire and set it to "if under 1-5 coal (up to you)"
Add a Fast Inserter to put the Coal back in the box, add a burner inserter to take it out of the box, add a normal inserter to feed coal to the burner inserter.

Setup a Offshore pump/burner/steam engine that they don't get in contact with the main network.
Connect the small pumps to your off network.
Add a Radar to the off network (if you don't it will take a long time till the steam engine shuts off again)

Boom you just created a UPS system.

Click on the link to get a bigger Image
http://i.imgur.com/0rDfO7G.jpg

If anything is unclear, feel free to ask questions. And i hope i could help someone reduce pollution on his planet :D

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: DarkMinaz's Water Storage Based UPS System

Post by rk84 »

Nice use of burner inserters. You might need more small pumps though. 1 pump per 5 steam engines, I believe.

Here is ssilk`s setup.
Handling Gigantic Energy Peaks
Last edited by rk84 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

darkminaz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by darkminaz »

hmm it was enough to get them to 80% around what already was way more then enough for it. I think the main diffrence is that all my pumps operate on their own little tank while all your water seems to run though 1 single pipe.
plus it's realy just as a form of last resort, that most likely will never happen. with my current setup it would take 3 full nights to empthy my storage.

your setup is nice, uses a bit to mutch space for my tastes but if i saw that i didn't had to use my brain. :D
Guess in the internet you are never the first with an idea

e: and i do feel like the burner inserters are way cheaper then the smart inserters. Not that it realy maters at the stage where you set your system to "emergency only". But i still like to save as mutch as possible. Don't ask me why^^

transportman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by transportman »

I have the feeling that it takes some time to actually turn on if your accumulators run out of energy compared to the system rk84 links to, but that is mainly due to the "long" transport belt that the coal has to take when not returning to the smart chest. Not that it really matters, those few seconds without power are not going to make a huge difference overall.

One nice feature is that your setup will always start, even if the game would change the behavior of accumulators in 2 networks, as the burner inserters keep working longer than the electrical ones.

darkminaz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by darkminaz »

yeah, i did make one version with robots and a chest (aside from the belt) but then i thought "maybe someone likes to try it without robots"
it all depends on your setup where the coal comes from etc. My right side was sadly already full with stuff, or i would have placed it there, since it would instantly take it from the coal mines.

takes 2-3sec to start. I hardly think that would make a huge diffrence for a backup system. Might be an issue if you use it dayli.

Return to “Show your Creations”