[Rseding91] [0.17.14] Disabling a mod then ren-enabling it breaks blueprints using mod items permanently

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Rseding91] [0.17.14] Disabling a mod then ren-enabling it breaks blueprints using mod items permanently

Post by factoriouzr »

Disabling a mod then ren-enabling it breaks blueprints using mod items permanently.

Steps to reproduce:
+enable a mod that adds water fill (like landfill but for water). This likely happens for other items added by mods as well
+make a blueprint that uses at least one of the new items added by the mod and store it in a blueprint book (likely doesn't matter if it's in a book or not)
+store the blueprint/book in the blueprint library
+disable the mod
+load up the saved game
+add a new random blueprint to the blueprint book created above (this step likely isn't needed. Note that I did not modify any of the blueprints created with the mod)
+quit game
+enable the mod that was disabled above
+load the game and notice that the mod items are not returned to the blueprints in the book and are gone permanently

The way this works now completely breaks blueprints with mods as you will unknowingly break your blueprints when changing mods without even updating the blueprint used in the mod.

In 0.16, disabling a mod would put red icons over the unavailable items and icons in the blueprint, but when you re-enabled the mod, those items would be restored.

Proposed solution:
Never modify blueprints that the user created when disabling and enabling mods as it breaks blueprints and is not intuitive to the user if blueprints change automatically. If blueprinted items and icons are not available, then indicate that in the GUI. When the mod is re-enabled, since the blueprint wasn't modified automatically, the blueprints would be fully restored and working.

This is a huge issue and completely breaks blueprints when using mods as enabling and disabling mods is a common occurrence and playing different games either sequentially or concurrently is also very common.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [kovarex] [0.17.14] Disabling a mod then ren-enabling it breaks blueprints using mod items permanently

Post by kovarex »

Based on the code, we don't mark blueprint as modded the same way with tiles as with entities.

As long as you can confirm, that modded entities in blueprints work still the same and correctly, we can just include this mechanism for tiles.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [kovarex] [0.17.14] Disabling a mod then ren-enabling it breaks blueprints using mod items permanently

Post by factoriouzr »

kovarex wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:15 pm
Based on the code, we don't mark blueprint as modded the same way with tiles as with entities.

As long as you can confirm, that modded entities in blueprints work still the same and correctly, we can just include this mechanism for tiles.
Even if it is only tiles, the icons are also removed from the blueprint permanently. Can you please keep the icon references and just display an "x" instead of them when not available and then restore them when the mod is re-enabled please. I will also try and confirm this with entities, though currently I don't use any mods with new entities, but I can try adding one as a test.

There are other issues with blueprints when used directly from the library such as adding a new blueprint will either go at the very beginning of the list when clicking in-between blueprints or if you click at the end, it will still not go to the end and instead it will go to the end of the ones without a description (blueprint added doesn't have description) and the others with descriptions will show up after.

It's really hard to manage blueprints in 0.17 directly from the blueprint library. It's way worse then before and this was one of the big features I was looking forward to so that I don't have to keep copying blueprints back into the library every time I change something.

Any update on when we might expect the proper blueprint library the way it was described in Friday facts?

Can you please add the ability to re-take a blueprint of choice without destroying the icons, description and the checkboxes that were already set for what to blueprint. I do this frequently in refining my designs and it's such a pain to remember and re-set the icons, checkboxes and description every time.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

The blueprint library gui update will be worked on once tame the ongoing bug report avalanche of 0.17.

For the other bugs (basically Icons + tiles not handled properly when it comes to blueprints & mods), it will be addressed.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

kovarex wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:07 pm
The blueprint library gui update will be worked on once tame the ongoing bug report avalanche of 0.17.

For the other bugs (basically Icons + tiles not handled properly when it comes to blueprints & mods), it will be addressed.
That's good to hear thanks.

I figured you guys are still in bug fighting mode, though since the Friday facts it sounds like you have gotten over the hump of fixing them faster then they come in, which is great.

Kovarex, can you please make it so that blueprints will set unresearched recipes on factories. I have put thousands of hours likely by now into this game and I have blueprints that I like to use that I tweak over time and it's really hard to tweak them as I go because the factories don't have the recipes set when not researched.

The research tree changes from time to time, I might not research everything required for a blueprint in the same order, etc. I would really love this quality of life feature and so would others who have commented as such in the past. It would also be consistent with how every other entity behaves with blueprints in that inserters set their filters, requester chests set their requests, etc. It's only factories that are the outliers.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Rseding91] [0.17.14] Disabling a mod then ren-enabling it breaks blueprints using mod items permanently

Post by factoriouzr »

Kovarex, I did a quick test with a mod that adds entities and it looks like the blueprint works after disabling and re-enabling the mod. This issue seems to only be happening with tiles.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Rseding91] [0.17.14] Disabling a mod then ren-enabling it breaks blueprints using mod items permanently

Post by factoriouzr »

Just wondering. Has this been fixed yet? Sounds like you already found where the problem was.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”