Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Psychobab
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by Psychobab »

Hi everyone,

i'm new on this game, i watched some tutorials and i have a "simple" question!

how to pickup goods dirctly on a conveyor? I think i tried all the keybord keys and it didn't work.

Thanks everyone.

TheBloke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheBloke »

Psychobab wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:53 pm
how to pickup goods dirctly on a conveyor? I think i tried all the keybord keys and it didn't work.
F is the default key to pick up stuff on the ground, and this works for belts too as long as you're fairly close to them or standing on them yourself.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

pick up on sth sounds weird.

pick up from sth F key
drop on sth Z key

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Factorian85
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Factorian85 »

Version: 0.17.14

Hello,

when i use a blueprint in an early state, where technolgies aren't available, i can't see how an assembling machine is configured.

When the technolgy is available, the configuration of the assembling machine furthermore isn't availble. There is no difference if the assembling machine is builded or ghost.

When i overwrite the blueprint, i can see the configuration.

Any solutions for the problem?

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

Factorian85 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:16 am
Version: 0.17.14

Hello,

when i use a blueprint in an early state, where technolgies aren't available, i can't see how an assembling machine is configured.

When the technolgy is available, the configuration of the assembling machine furthermore isn't availble. There is no difference if the assembling machine is builded or ghost.

When i overwrite the blueprint, i can see the configuration.

Any solutions for the problem?
No, unfortunately when you place a blueprint any machine configured to use a recipe that isn't unlocked simply does not get a recipe set at all, even if that recipe is unlocked later. You just have to place the blueprint again.

Neruz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Neruz »

Neruz wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:42 pm
Is there a way to pin the inventory/crafting menu to a position? i dont want it to open always in the middle of the screen and blocking my view.
thanks.
anyone? :?

TheBloke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheBloke »

Neruz wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:15 am
Neruz wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:42 pm
Is there a way to pin the inventory/crafting menu to a position? i dont want it to open always in the middle of the screen and blocking my view.
thanks.
anyone? :?
No, UIs always appear in a default position each time they open. And this is true even now that 0.17 allows us to open the UI of a new item without first closing any currently open - the new one is still treated as a new UI and so resets its position rather than maintaining whatever position you set.

I too would like the ability to have windows remember their last position.

I don't know if mods could be made to affect this, but I don't recall seeing any that do.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

How can I manually (without blueprints) fast-insert Productivity Modules 1 into assembler with Production science pack recipe?

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

leadraven wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:30 am
How can I manually (without blueprints) fast-insert Productivity Modules 1 into assembler with Production science pack recipe?
The same way you manually fast insert any materials into machines

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

1.Take prod modules in hand.
2. Control-leftclick on the assembler.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

Serenity wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:20 am
leadraven wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:30 am
The same way you manually fast insert any materials into machines
disentius wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:21 am
1.Take prod modules in hand.
2. Control-leftclick on the assembler.
Sorry, I unsuccessfully formulated my problem. Modules are fast-inserted as material, while I want to insert them into module slots.

TheBloke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheBloke »

leadraven wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:23 am
Sorry, I unsuccessfully formulated my problem. Modules are fast-inserted as material, while I want to insert them into module slots.
Yeah there's no quick solution for that. There are mods that can allow adding and removing modules quickly from any building, such as Module Requestor.

In the vanilla game you're limited to putting the modules into one machine, blueprinting it, then deconstructing the others and replacing it with the blueprinted version. And then maybe re-blueprinting a row or column of machines so you can faster bulk replace the remainder.

EDIT: removed reference to control-clicking on the module slots which actually doesn't work duh.

(As an aside, the new 0.17 upgrade planner did add one new method for changing modules: it's now possible to use an upgrade planner to change one module type to another, eg change Speed3 modules to Prod3 across any number of machines. But it doesn't provide a way to add modules to a machine that doesn't already have them, or remove modules completely, so it's not any help in your situation.)
Last edited by TheBloke on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

leadraven wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:23 am
Modules are fast-inserted as material, while I want to insert them into module slots.
Oh, right. Production science takes them as an ingredient. Totally forgot about that. That's an interesting issue

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

TheBloke wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:39 am
Opening the UI of each machine in turn and control-clicking the modules into the module slots
If I'm not mistaken, it also places them into ingredient slot.
Only manually place them into each module slot. Or reset recipe, place modules, return recipe.

TheBloke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheBloke »

leadraven wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:49 am
TheBloke wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:39 am
Opening the UI of each machine in turn and control-clicking the modules into the module slots
If I'm not mistaken, it also places them into ingredient slot.
Only manually place them into each module slot. Or reset recipe, place modules, return recipe.
Sorry yes you're right, I thought you could control-click them directly onto the module slots but it doesn't work. So blueprints are the only option.

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

The only other thing you could do is change the recipe, put modules in, and change it back. You can copy the recipe from another machine, so potentially it would be faster if you really had to do a large number of them, but it's definitely not a perfect solution.

TheBloke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheBloke »

Yeah that could be quicker than BPing I guess. Certainly less disruption given the deconstruction has to pull all the materials out of the machines as well, so you're probably not going to want to do it with personal roboports else your inventory might get flooded. So if it's a large array it might take a while for construction bots to come pull the ingredients out, then the machines, then replace them, then add the modules.

Shift-left-clicking a new recipe in, running along control-clicking modules, then shift-left-clicking the original recipe back in could be fairly speedy.

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

[facepalm] :) not realized that prod modules could be ingredients too.
As an alternative: put in the modules with fast transfer before you set the recipe.
tested in 0.17.14, works.

Crozzfire
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Crozzfire »

Question: I removed a blueprint from the game while I had it in the shortcut bar. Now there is a big red X there that I can't seem to remove or replace with another one. What to do?

TheBloke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheBloke »

Crozzfire wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:39 pm
Question: I removed a blueprint from the game while I had it in the shortcut bar. Now there is a big red X there that I can't seem to remove or replace with another one. What to do?
EDIT: sorry, I was completely confused there

You just need to middle-mouse-button to remove the red X like with any other quickbar icon. It's working fine. Sorry for the confusion in my first response (my middle mouse button had temporarily stopped working, great timing! :) )

Return to “Gameplay Help”