My scalable creations

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Nirahiel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

My scalable creations

Post by Nirahiel »

Hello builder, Nirahiel here.

I've started to create a set of scalable components for your factories.

The red science
This thing can be scaled upward, I placed down two of it just to show you how you can replicate it.

I'm going to do this for every useful thing in Factorio.

Tell me what you think :)

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: My scalable creations

Post by Lee_newsum »

use the "alt" for picks so we can see what you are doing

Mangledpork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mangledpork »

It could be made a little more compact. I demonstrated a factory design allowing for scalability of all production: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DOHLCCrE_M
It shows the design I use for red science. I don't know what the ratio is supposed to be of gears to science packs but it could easily be changed to 1:2 or 2:3 by changing the spacing.

The Colonist
Inserter
Inserter

Post by The Colonist »

Try using both sides of the conveyor belt. you could have much less conveyor belts flying everywhere and have a lot more leftover space

Nirahiel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nirahiel »

Well I destroyed this setup as soon as I found a better one on the forums, but I'll post my smelting setup, and my storage setup, they're pretty well optimized in my opinion, and they're scalable ! :)
But the main idea is that if the setup is scalable upwards, then the input and output should be on the bottom of the entire setup.
Because this way you can add more instances of the build without having to worry about the rest of the setup

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

Nirahiel wrote:...But the main idea is that if the setup is scalable upwards, then the input and output should be on the bottom of the entire setup.
Because this way you can add more instances of the build without having to worry about the rest of the setup
I've posted this before, but this is a scalable layout as it regards to furnaces, gears, circuit, battery and advanced circuit production. The science department could also easily be expanded by shifting the research centers down. As you say above, the inputs come from the main corridor and the outputs return to it. This way, the limiting factor is how much material can be delivered by the belts. Warning - you need to zoom in quite a bit (190%+) to read the titles on the assemblers and other buildings.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/syufyiud5vxpk ... LAYOUT.pdf - repaired link

Would love to see a better layout for the module department.

forum link - https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=8&t=4965
Last edited by DerivePi on Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

UberJumper
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by UberJumper »

DerivePi wrote:
Nirahiel wrote:...But the main idea is that if the setup is scalable upwards, then the input and output should be on the bottom of the entire setup.
I've posted this before, but this is a scalable layout as it regards to furnaces, gears, circuit, battery and advanced circuit production. The science department could also easily be expanded by shifting the research centers down. As you say above, the inputs come from the main corridor and the outputs return to it. This way, the limiting factor is how much material can be delivered by the belts. Warning - you need to zoom in quite a bit (190%+) to read the titles on the assemblers and other buildings.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/syufyiud5vxpk ... LAYOUT.pdf

Would love to see a better layout for the module department.
Your link is broken.

sbroadbent
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sbroadbent »

Nirahiel wrote:Hello builder, Nirahiel here.
The red science
This thing can be scaled upward, I placed down two of it just to show you how you can replicate it.

Tell me what you think :)
One Gear Factory should be able to supply enough gears for at least 10 Red Science factories given that Gears take .5 to build, Science Packs take 5 to build, therefore a scaleable solution has enough space for as many Red Science Assembly Machines and a Gear Factory (or two if you plan to put down 11 or more Red Science production).

I find though that (due to my playstyle where most of the time I forget to research), I generally don't need more than 3 Red Science Assembly Machines. Likewise I generally don't need more than 3 Green Science Assembly Machines, so I've been able to utilize 1 Gear Factory to supply Gears for both my Science 1 and Science 2 needs. Put the Gear production in an Assembly Machine 2 and give it two Fast Inserters pulling in iron and watch it fly. My typical build is based on the combined Science 1-4 design here: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=8&t=2600, except that in addition to direct inserting into the Transport belt and Inserter Assembly Machines, I also Long Hand output over to a belt on the Red Science area.

Most production can be scaled upwards if you plan ahead to leave space for additional growth, knowing that you need a certain ratio of item x to item y.
SB Gaming Youtube Channel:
ImageImage
Also includes series for Cities Skylines, Prison Architect, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Far Cry 2, and Test Drive Unlimited 2.

Return to “Show your Creations”