Dealing with bot population/repartition

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Dealing with bot population/repartition

Post by Tekillaa »

Hi, I'm lookin for help, i tried to look into some post, but nothing looks like what i try to make : dealing with where bots are in a large logistic area

I'm the kind of player using bot to avoid me to move in various location for expand, mostly play map view as a manager. so my bots are what making supply on front, i make just a logistic bridge with roboport and electric pole to go ahead, radar for map vision and some defense. roboport/radar after robotport/radar, i make like a bunker for artillery, logistic bot make the supply for ammo adn after get arrived, i want them to get back

My first idea was to put an output inserter from the roboport to a provider chest, to let logistic bot make way back carrying their friends, with a requester chest reinjecting them near my mall to be ready for "my next request", but i have troubles to find a way to have the information output that i need : i want the information of how many bots are in a particular roboports, and act with it. For example, i always want to let few logistic and construction bot for repair, but the rest got to get back at the mall with nothing.

Is there a way to do it? without a mod?

Ty for your time and maybe answer, have fun
It should be add in the game: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67650 :)

xfir01
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Dealing with bot population/repartition

Post by xfir01 »

Not sure this is possible within a single network. You can get the total and available bot counts for a network though.

If you split up your network you could probably do something like this: viewtopic.php?f=193&t=66884

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

Yes ty, i already seen that kind of solution, i was lookin for a way to have the output of the information of bots available in a roboportor to go a head with my solution where bots carrying bots for the way back, but i need to try an output filtred for logistic inserter into a purple chest to see what it do in my situation, maybe it will have the bot carrying situation, put another inserter into another roboport with logic condition in it. i'll try

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews »

What you mean get them back?

Bots can just stay in their own network, to build a new network remotely you can "seed" it using a requester+conveyor+roboport with some circuits, all within range of a previous network.

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

SyncViews wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:04 am
What you mean get them back?

Bots can just stay in their own network, to build a new network remotely you can "seed" it using a requester+conveyor+roboport with some circuits, all within range of a previous network.
There are many use cases for this:

1. You build a fab (with construction bots) and want to operate it later with logistics bots. For the first job, you connect it to your "main" or "mall". Then you separte the two because you don't want your logistics bot to carry the stuff to other fabs. Long distance jobs are what trains are good for. How do you remove your construction bots from this network?

2. In the pre-mega-base phase I'm always a little short of bots. So I would like to be able to remove bots from a network to be able to put them into a different one (just get them back for a start). Doing this manually is already a pain in the ass if your network has more than 10 roboports.

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

Logistic bot make supplies of wall, turrets, ammo for expand and fight, after get gone to the "outpost" i want them go go back to the base, i dont want to separate logistic network, it gonna complicating things and i looking for a solution for 1 logistic network, not severals. i just want way to tell to my bot where they got to go (actually to make them back to the base, i make absurd logistic ask) and im lookin for a way to better control where bots are. Also i got a problem with roboport acting as provider of repair tool....

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Repair packs don't really go into roboports. They can store them, but that's for the robots to take partially used packs back to. Just place the packs into storage, passive provider or buffer chests. Then they're available to all robots in the network. Not just ones in that particular roboport

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

Sorry i go out of the subject, for that discussion go here please viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67650.

I forgot to say to see maybe more clearly my situation: i use no bots in my entire lines of production, i use bots only for "me" and my requests, mostly exploration, construction of defense, supply of ammo etc, all a that require the player to go far, i use bot to make long distance instead of me, it dont care about how much time they do the travel, as long the work is done. and i want to keep it simple, so thats why i want a way to deal with where my bots are to be ready for my request.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Tekillaa wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:54 pm
it dont care about how much time they do the travel, as long the work is done.
If you don't care about travel delays, then you can just leave them there. If the logistics system needs them, they will respond wherever they are, as long as you only have one logistics network.

Otherwise the only choices in vanilla are to add inserters to remove robots from the roboports where you don't want them, or remove them yourself, or deconstruct the roboport.

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

For example, if il leave them here, the roboport will be full of logistic bots because of artillery ammo, so construct bots mostly lookin for a place to park, like i said i didnt try the last solution i thought yet, with a output inserter filter with logistic into a purple chest, now im just lookin for a way to stop the inserter.

xfir01
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by xfir01 »

I don't know of any way to do this in vanilla.

With mods, you've got Inventory Sensor which makes it trivial. Maybe make a post in the ideas and suggestions forum for some additional bot info for the current roboport rather than network as a whole.

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews »

You can connect a circuit to a roboport to get the number of construction and logistics bots. Just separate them first then let inserters dump extra into say an active provider (then that goes to a storage that then gets sent out of the network).

Normally to build a new area I would never link it to another network with the intention to break it later.

You can auto-build a new network and use requester/provider chests for all the construction materials you need. Later you might deconstruct a lot of the chests.
logistics-bridge.png
logistics-bridge.png (2.49 MiB) Viewed 3763 times

Otherwise easy enough to just go there with a train to build stuff very quickly (have everything you need to build things on train, unload train into passive chests at construction site. Load chests back itno train when done), or even without a train just using personal roboport as power armor 2 has lots of space.

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

Thank you to show me, i thought about that kind of logistic bridge first but i was hoping miss a solution for more global management instead of compartimentation like that, that's a bit sad that we cant have the information output that we see when we put the mouse on the roboport.

So i made a post in idea and suggestion. Very important to me, i hope it will de done because according to my point of view, it will be impossible to have a good gestion of a logistic area without the tools i ask in the following post. thank you to let your opinion about that.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67650

Truely ty for your help, i see a bit more clearly what i can do, if you have other ideas for a global management like im trying to do : let me know :)

Return to “Gameplay Help”