0.16 -> 0.17 Yellow tech science

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Qosmius
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

0.16 -> 0.17 Yellow tech science

Post by Qosmius »

Hello. Is it only me that thinks the new yellow change is abit much?
In 0.16 you have a relatively neat and compact yellow layout but with the 0.17 you need a monster of a layout to match it.

The amount of assembling machines you need for the low density structures are over the roof and you also need quite a hefty amount of drone shells to produce the same amount yellow science you did in 0.16.

I do think that all the other science changes are good and works as intendend. But maybe the yellow one has been rushed abit...?
Anyone else have opinions of this?

Stakhanov
Inserter
Inserter

Re: 0.16 -> 0.17 Yellow tech science

Post by Stakhanov »

It seems to me that this recipe change was intended to 1) entice players to mass produce frames for all drone types and 2) bridge the gap between a late game factory and a rocket assembling one. This means less single-purpose factories.

Qosmius
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Qosmius »

Hmm maybe it is to bridge the gap...But i feel that this change is just wow...

If you take a look at how a yellow setup looks like in 0.16 "https://imgur.com/viqbRaI"

And compare that how the yellow setup looks like in 0.17 "https://imgur.com/HixahIZ"

If a new player is gonna make all of this i think his brain will explode..
I have 400 hours in the game myself and i just think the yellow science is completely wrong as it is in 0.17 now unfortunately.

But if the majority is positive for the change i guess its the right thing to do.

Also the items you produce for the science cannot really be used anywhere else since all of it will be consumed for science.
You need to make a separate station to produce the robot flying frames. Or the low density structure to make rocket parts.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

Setup is pretty big, but I don't think it is a problem.
In terms of ingredients, this recipe is perfect.

P.S. And I can't tell the same about Purple science recipe, I don't like it's components. My thread about it : viewtopic.php?t=65846

Hiladdar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hiladdar »

Yellow now needs a larger footprint for set up, but by that time in the game it is no longer an issue.

My bigger concern is the leap from red/green to blue, with so logistically locked behind oil based products, which in most cases is locked behind trains, to move the get the oil to your main base.

Hiladdar

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

Hiladdar wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:41 pm
My bigger concern is the leap from red/green to blue, with so logistically locked behind oil based products, which in most cases is locked behind trains, to move the get the oil to your main base.
Well, blue science is supposed to be locked behind oil refining. But with such a huge leap I think it doesn't need engine, that requires steel and relatively big setup. Oil setup is already huge. And although oil setup requires basic amount of steel, automated steel supply is a significant complication. And it's out of place.
Remove steel from Chemical science pack!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

the changes might have been large, but keep in mind that this game is still in development, and major updates, like 0.16 to 0.17 are when things like this are likely to happen.

From what I recall, the changes were made because the devs feel this is more balanced for the game play, and works better in the big picture
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

leadraven wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:33 am
And although oil setup requires basic amount of steel, automated steel supply is a significant complication. And it's out of place.
Remove steel from Chemical science pack!
Even doing 90 blue science per minute (1.5/sec) only requires 24 stone furnaces doing steel. That's not much. You can also get away with half that for the start and then scale up

It's only when you add military, chemical and production science together that the steel requirement becomes huge

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

Serenity wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:09 pm
It's only when you add military, chemical and production science together that the steel requirement becomes huge
In Factorio there is no huge requirement - there is just not enough supplement :twisted: :lol: 8-)

Return to “Balancing”