Save custom world presets / Custom map generator presets / Save/load map-exchange-string

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Save custom world presets

Post by Rseding91 »

Jap2.0 wrote:Also, map strings don't carry over custom settings regarding biters and pollution (last I checked).
They carry over everything you see on the generate map screen.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Yep, just tested it, it works even for all the advanced settings (biter expansion and stuff). That's cool.
TIL.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

inick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by inick »

Rseding91 wrote:
hanli427 wrote:With the new 0.15.x, there are a number of presets with the game, such as marathon, death world and rail world. But how about letting the players save their own custom presets for reusing, or sharing with others.
This is what the map exchange string is. Literally - it copies all settings in that display and restores them when pasting it into the exchange string field.
Does the map exchange string include the world seed?

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

Yes, it does.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Yep.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

inick wrote:
last time i checked it did. saw someone post a map exchange string and it had their phone number as the seed. :?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

impetus maximus wrote:
inick wrote:
last time i checked it did. saw someone post a map exchange string and it had their phone number as the seed. :?
Funny and slightly... stupid at the same time.

tickterd
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by tickterd »

WARNING: Editing the base.cfg file turns out to cause problems joining multiplayer games. Apparently the contents of this file are compared, and once I edited the file I can't join multiplayer games because "mods" version is different. So only do this if you're OK with just single player.

I was also able to create my own custom preset. I'm not a programmer or anything and it took some trial and error, but by editing two of the configuration files with Notepad++ I got it to work, including fixing the "weird name".

As bagaznal described, I edited the \Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\data\base\prototypes\map-gen-presets.lua file. I copied and pasted the Rail world section, as this most closely matched what I was after. By changing the values and adding a few others (based on examples from other sections), I got that file to "set" the resources and water how I wanted it. It took me a few tries to get the hang of the syntax, the commas mostly, but after 10 minutes and a half dozen attempts, I got it to work.

But it was still giving me the funny name thing. I poked around a bit and discovered the Descriptions for each preset type in the following file:

\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\data\base\locale\en\base.cfg

This is the locale version for English, so if you play with a different locale, find the one appropriate to your locale.

There are two pretty obvious sections to edit here in the base.cfg file; [map-gen-preset-name] and [map-gen-preset-description]. Type in the exact preset name you called your custom preset in the other file, and then give it a friendly name. Type a description of it as well. When you're in there, it's pretty obvious as to what you need to do.

I'll attach my edited files. I did a custom preset with very rare frequency resources, but with very-high richness and very-large size. It also has large bodies of water to get some diversity and variety.
Attachments
map-gen-presets.lua
The map-gen-preset.lua file with Tick's World
(4.24 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
base.cfg
The English Locale base.cfg file.
(38.38 KiB) Downloaded 113 times

Cabble
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Cabble »

+1
It's really annoying to always re-select like 20 parameters.
A quick and dirty solution would be to allow changing the preset-file without conflicts in multiplayer (different base-mod).
Would be good enough for now. Some fency GUI can be added later on.

Dzyu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Save presets

Post by Dzyu »

I'm really missing the ability to save new presets for creating a new world. It takes a lot of time to change everything, especially if experimenting with the world gen, and it would be nice to not have to write down or just remember what the good settings we find are.

JaJe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Map generator select start area and preset

Post by JaJe »

Hello!

I would like to have an option to save my setting values into a custom preset to have on the list with add/remove custom presets.

Also I would like to have an option to manually select spawn location once you generated the map preview.
Attachments
20190303145037_1.jpg
20190303145037_1.jpg (271.89 KiB) Viewed 4789 times

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Map generator select start area and preset

Post by Serenity »

+1 to save presets. Pretty annoying to redo them

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Save presets

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged several topics with same suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

denebarry
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by denebarry »

+1 to save presets. Very annoying to put settings back in each time. I would like to have a saved preset for peaceful mode, one for my version of rail world, one for my version of default, etc

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

+1479 to saving/loading map generation numbers!
Why 1479?
Because that's how many days it's been that this idea has been requested and not implemented! ^^;

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Map Generator Custom Presets

Post by Recon777 »

I'd love to see it where we could define and add our own custom presets to the map generator. A lot of times, I find myself making the same set of changes to get a new map started. But rather than having to redo these every time, a preset would be a much nicer solution. They could be accessed in the same drop down as the current eight presets the game comes with.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Map Generator Custom Presets

Post by GrumpyJoe »

Recon777 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:40 am
I'd love to see it where we could define and add our own custom presets to the map generator. A lot of times, I find myself making the same set of changes to get a new map started. But rather than having to redo these every time, a preset would be a much nicer solution. They could be accessed in the same drop down as the current eight presets the game comes with.
save the map exchange string (can also be exported from save files, so you dont have to save it external), import it in the new map.
You can still reroll terrain generated, map settings will stay the same

but I +1 this, given how often people start new maps

nitro_hedgehog
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Map Generator Custom Presets

Post by nitro_hedgehog »

I would like this very much for all the reasons you gave.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic with same suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Alice3173
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Map generator select start area and preset

Post by Alice3173 »

JaJe wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:54 pm
Also I would like to have an option to manually select spawn location once you generated the map preview.
I could be remembering things incorrectly (it's been months since I recall reading that) but I believe that the seed you use is actually the spawn location. From what I recall reading awhile back though, the overall world is actually the same regardless of the seed. Seed just sets where you spawn in the world.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”