[Twinsen][0.17.4] Can not click inventory or menu buttons

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Murdersquish
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Twinsen][0.17.4] Can not click inventory or menu buttons

Post by Murdersquish »

Hello. Unfortunately this bug report will not come with a save file as I had to CTRl-ALT-DELETE kill the Factorio process. I was doing the introductory scenario when I lost the ability to click items in my inventory nor could I click the menu buttons (ESC menu). I could click on structures.

This was during the point in the scenario after I fed plates into the assembler. The stage completed and transitioned to requiring gears and copper plates to be fed to the loader. After the transition, here's roughly what I did.

1) added more coal to my burner miner;
2) deconstructed two burner miner, inserter, and a fair bit of belt;
3) placed a burner miner and furnace at the copper deposit;
4) went and chopped a tree; and
5) was going to craft a box.

It was at step 5) that I noticed it wasn't taking mouse-clicks neither on the box craft nor picking up items in my inventory. I thought perhaps the tutorial was stuck and wanted me to do some action. I went over clicked on the gear assembler, it opened its inventory, and proceeded to give me the tutorial text about assemblers. I could not place plates manually into it.

At this point I attempted to create a save file by bringing up the main menu. None of the buttons would respond to clicks and I had to kill the process.

krystof1119
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.17.4] Can not click inventory or menu buttons

Post by krystof1119 »

Interesting... I just had the exact same issue in 0.17.1 (Holding out on upgrading because of my server).

However, an ALT-TAB, click on the desktop, ALT-TAB back fixed it for me, if that helps.

chvconst
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by chvconst »

I have just had it in 17.4.
It is completely sporadic.

There is no way to provide save file, as in order to save you have to click LMB on save button in main game menu, which is not possible at the moment of the bug.
I have a re-play of it, if that is worth anything(although I wonder how to define timestamp in the re-play).

Actions prior to the issue:
Playing introduction campaign, I cleared few rocks, placed 12 electric miners in a 4 uneven rows (4, 4, 3, 1), run out of them, and was going to handcraft few belts. It failed to craft belts. Essentially, it failed to select or craft anything in the inventory menu.
I tried to click LMB multiple times everywhere - no results. RMB worked fine(I deconstructed one of the miners). Keyboard worked fine(I picked few iron plates up).
I thought my LMB had broke and alt+tabbed to test it.

It resolved itself after ALT+TAB.

Jan11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Jan11 »

I have it too but I don`t know why. It only last some seconds (i open the inventory and main menu and inventory with my keyboard a few times and close them) that solves it for me.

chvconst
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by chvconst »

It is mine. It is previous.log, as I had restarted the game today.
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(8.03 KiB) Downloaded 148 times

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

New topic that I think duplicates what is described here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65907

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

It might be something related to the autosave window.

I can make the GUI not respond to hover by holding the mouse down and then releasing it over the autosave window before it disappears. But it's fixed as soon as I click anywhere so it's not this issue.

Keep trying and let me know if something comes up.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

This seems to be happening quite often but we have no idea what it is.
A full process dump might give us something to look in. If you encounter the problem again, go to task manager, right click on factorio.exe and select "Create Dump File". It will be a large 2GB file but you can compress it to about 100-200MB and then upload it somewhere for us.
Thanks.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

How do I do that under Xubuntu 18.04 ?
Twinsen wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:58 am
It might be something related to the autosave window.

I can make the GUI not respond to hover by holding the mouse down and then releasing it over the autosave window before it disappears. But it's fixed as soon as I click anywhere so it's not this issue.

Keep trying and let me know if something comes up.
Yeah, it's definitively the autosave in my case !
I *think* that right-clicking somewhere solves it, will try to be more specific next time it happens.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wahming »

Twinsen wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:53 am
A full process dump might give us something to look in. If you encounter the problem again, go to task manager, right click on factorio.exe and select "Create Dump File". It will be a large 2GB file but you can compress it to about 100-200MB and then upload it somewhere for us.
Thanks.
Encountered again. I clicked on the autosave popup right as it appeared, after that buttons, etc stopped responding. Clicking on buildings still worked, could open map, etc.

Dump file as requested: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcqapm5it87ya ... o.rar?dl=0

sonaxaton
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sonaxaton »

I just encountered this I think. I've hit it a couple times now. I think it has something to do with having a menu open while the auto-save is happening? I was able to get out of the state of not being able to interact with anything by right-clicking.

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

I may (or may not) have a good case study for the bug. It happened to me last night, and I had only been playing on the map for a short time in a single session, but I'd also been using /c game.speed, which may or may not have anything to do with encountering the bug. First time I've had it happen though, so my instinctive reaction is to think messing with speed (which I don't do often) might be related.

Can't see anything relevant in the log myself, and after loading the game again the issue is gone, so I don't know if anything here is really helpful, but here it is in case it might be.
Attachments
SaveAndLog.zip
(3.16 MiB) Downloaded 114 times

jbirch
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jbirch »

Ah, I ran into this issue today as well!

In my particular case, I was able to resolve it by hand-mining a single piece of coal.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

The most probable cause of this is releasing the right mouse button while the game is autosaving.

Fixed this cause in Version: 0.17.10.
Let me know if the issue still occurs by other means.

As a temporary workaround, the UI can be "unlocked" by simply right-clicking somewhere in the game world.

The change I did also "unlocked" the gui during autosaving, so you can press buttons to queue events. Let me know if there anything that breaks when clicking while autosaving.

wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wahming »

wahming wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:34 pm
Twinsen wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:53 am
Thanks.
Encountered again. I clicked on the autosave popup right as it appeared, after that buttons, etc stopped responding. Clicking on buildings still worked, could open map, etc.

Can I delete that oversized dump file from my dropbox yet?

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

wahming wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:40 am
wahming wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:34 pm

Can I delete that oversized dump file from my dropbox yet?
yes

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”