Comparator with hysteresis

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

drNokard
Inserter
Inserter

Comparator with hysteresis

Post by drNokard »

Hi!

I know there are some useful guides about making an hysteresis circuits, but I think we should directly have a comparator with hysteresis among other combinators, because building the same circuit over and over for all areas of base (fluid cracking, backup generators...) doesn't really add anything to the game.

What do you think?

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Comparator with hysteresis

Post by McDuff »

Rather than this, I would rather (and have suggested before) "higher tiers" of combinator that enable more complex/chained functions in one block.

Possible things that I have seen suggested in the past, or suggested myself, include :

adding multiple combinator functions together as "blocks," so for example you can have a combinator that does multiple arithmetic functions in one go, or build any circuit that would otherwise require multiple combinators like the S/R latch.

being able to compare across wire colours rather than adding green and red (eg, "is wood on the red circuit greater than wood on the green circuit" or "red iron divided by green iron," and "buffering" outputs and inputs so that you don't need to put a "each = each * 1" combinator between circuits.

I would like to see the jump from Green to Red to Blue circuits come along with a jump in what you can do with combinators and the circuit network.

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

Building the same set of combinators shouldn't ever be any huge chore, as it should be blueprinted and done automatically by robots. With that said, for space-saving and annoyance of having to haul around all of the different combinator types... I'm a huge fan of the idea of condensing combinator functions or better yet, McDuff's suggestion of a a combinator capable of handing more complex logic. I just don't get the joy of manually wiring up combinators in physical space. I like the challenge of figuring out the combinator puzzles, but not the tedium of building combinator setups.

drNokard
Inserter
Inserter

Post by drNokard »

Darinth wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:10 pm
Building the same set of combinators shouldn't ever be any huge chore, as it should be blueprinted and done automatically by robots. With that said, for space-saving and annoyance of having to haul around all of the different combinator types... I'm a huge fan of the idea of condensing combinator functions or better yet, McDuff's suggestion of a a combinator capable of handing more complex logic. I just don't get the joy of manually wiring up combinators in physical space. I like the challenge of figuring out the combinator puzzles, but not the tedium of building combinator setups.
I know that that you can blueprint, It's almost the same thing that i said, because the point is that combinator setups are tedious. ;-)

drNokard
Inserter
Inserter

Post by drNokard »

I'm still thinking about this.
I think that hysteresis is so widespread in all engineering sectors (even my kitchen oven thermostat has it!) that I still think it should be made a standalone comparator.
You should/could (and have to) use it in game for all cracking, for backup generators, for buffering belts...

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by McDuff »

Darinth wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:10 pm
I like the challenge of figuring out the combinator puzzles, but not the tedium of building combinator setups.
This! Debugging combinators is awful because the wires aren't really very readable. The ability to see them in a better layout would be great.

McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by McDuff »

(my old suggestions topic is here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58050&p=344755#p344755)

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

I have no idea what "hysteresis" is, but if you want to program, close the game and launch some IDE. Or play "Space engineers", where in-game entity can run C# sources.
If you want to play with combinators in a sandbox, size and complexity shouldn't bother you.
If you want to use it in factory, size and complexity are limitations.
I don't see any reason to simplify circuits.

BTW, solar fields take much more space, and still considered oversimplified.

drNokard
Inserter
Inserter

Post by drNokard »

leadraven wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:38 am
I have no idea what "hysteresis" is
To put it simple, an hysteresis use: if the tank light oil is more than 20K start cracking and continue until is < 1K.
Or another one: if my batteries are below 10% start steam engines and continue recharging until batteries status is > 90%.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”