Please allow me to toggle a locomotive into "personal train" mode

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MisterFister
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Please allow me to toggle a locomotive into "personal train" mode

Post by MisterFister »

TL;DR
I have a personal train that thinks it's a line-haul train at all times and that I, the human player, and something of an inconvenience.

Allow us to toggle a locomotive into "personal train" mode that changes default at-arrival behavior at trainstop destinations
I play in a map that is already large and is only about 20% complete according to our megabase design goals. We have more than a hundred trainstops, each one individually named according to an easily scrollable and searchable convention format that we've agreed to. Each one is located intelligently, and all areas of the map are accessible by PAX stops, to prevent any need for manual driving through train intersections that have multiple crossing lanes and very well-tested rail signals. There is a lot to do, in this game based on automation, that can be done while riding in an autopiloted train.
Why ?
Every time I select a stop, I have to manually specify "await circuit condition" because the game doesn't contemplate the usage-scenario of "I want my personal train to sit there until I actually tell it to move, "passenger detected" or not. I have to remember to MANUALLY SET THE TRAIN TO MANUAL at a temp-stop or else the train will say "bye, I waited for five seconds, you're not worth more time, and I don't trust your judgment that this is a safe location to wait indefinitely."

And don't get me started with scenarios of having multiple temp-stop locations in my train manifest, all unidentifiable except by the map coordinates that don't correlate to how we've arranged the rail network's navigation.

boksiora
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Please allow me to toggle a locomotive into "personal train" mode

Post by boksiora »

yes please. i want this feature also

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Yes please.
Make the default action(s) for temporary stops configurable.

For example the ideal combination for me would be wait 10s AND passenger present.
That way I have enough time to get out, do my work, hop back in and drive back to it's depot.

jim lee
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jim lee »

I use a personal train. I'd hate to be without it.

My simple solution? Custom train stops.

Each station, say for example "Northern Ironworks" will have a extra siding with the same name + (Personal) "Northern Ironworks (Personal)" The custom train only has this list of "personal" stations. Each has the impossible circuit condition [train Icon < 0]. Makes the train stay while you pop out to do something.

Easy peasy, works great!

-jim lee

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

temp stops will most likely be PAX trains, manually controlled.
There are those times where you just hop on a scheduled cargo train and redirect it, but i wouldn´t recommend that anyway.

No need for fancy new personal train flags
All we need is: toggle train in manual mode when arriving at a temp stop.
Can´t help people that hijack cargo trains and forget to set to automatic again :twisted:

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

Temp stations aren't meant to be permanent.
Slap a station down and call it #TEMP or something if you have a place you need to keep returning to, remove it once you're done and just build a proper station for other landmarks pre 0.17 style.
You only need to set the conditions once.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

dood wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:28 am
Temp stations aren't meant to be permanent.
Noone is asking for a permanent temp station :?

Its not like a temp station at an outpost you go to once, before setting it up
The OP says "hundrets of stations" (as in blocks, think of giving almost every AB item its own station)
Searching a fully scheduled PAX trains schedule for the one you wanna go to can be a nightmare

Thats what temp stops are for. hop on your train, point in the general direction and go there.
The thing about that is, if it has other stops set up normally, it will just go to any open stop after 5 sec inactivity at the temp one

If it went to manual mode where you left it, it would be alot easier, because you dont have to search where it went
Last edited by GrumpyJoe on Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

dood
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dood »

I've never needed "hundreds of train stations".
This seems like an user generated problem.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

Everything is a user generated problem, as this is a suggestion/request, not a bugreport
We are here to break the game, or our own PCs :D

Lets just asume this request messes with cargo trains highjacked for a temporary trip, by not going to its next scheduled stop, because it is set to manual where you leave it.
That could also qualify a user generated problem, as you shouldn´t mess with your logistic system for personal needs

Darinth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Darinth »

I'm a big fan of either Grumpy or Optera's solutions. The ability to control the wait action of temp stops means more customization options. Setting trains to manual mode when they arrive at a temp station would, I expect, be the best solution for the largest majority of people... but I'm not actually certain about that. What about switching a train to automatic when it's given a temporary stop, and then switching it back to manual when it arrives there if it was in manual to begin? This prevents accidentally leaving a logistics train somewhere while ensuring personal trains stay put. It feels like uncustomizable black magic though, which in a game like factorio I tend to be a bigger fan of the approach that gives me full control over the situation.

dockmeister
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dockmeister »

Hi,

let me shamelessly plug my mod here: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/QoL-TempStations.

The mod switches any train into manual mode upon arriving at a temporary station.

As for the other solutions:
It is currently not possible to modify the wait condition on a temporary station because the API is not exposed to lua.
TrainSchedule::schedule returns an incomplete table. Reassigning a modified schedule invalidates any temporary stations due to missing data.

There is an interface request open: 66011

cheers

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

Optera wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:55 pm
Yes please.
Make the default action(s) for temporary stops configurable.

For example the ideal combination for me would be wait 10s AND passenger present.
That way I have enough time to get out, do my work, hop back in and drive back to it's depot.
Funny thing is I just arrived in this forum planning on suggesting ctrl-shift-click as a "waypoint, no wait condition" for temporary station creation. :P

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”