[0.17.1] Out of oil on island map

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
winkbrace
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.1] Out of oil on island map

Post by winkbrace »

Hi, this isn't technically a bug I guess. I get that playing on an island map you are a bit restricted in resources, that's the point. But I couldn't finish the game, because there wasn't enough oil available. I was playing normally with default settings and no mods.
On my map there was only one oil patch of about 1500%.

Of course it took me about 20 hours to figure that out. :)
Maybe I can still finish the game if I use all the remaining oil just for the rocket, but that would mean my base would slow down a lot which just isn't fun to play.

Maybe the map generator could take into account there should be at least 2 oil patches? I really like the island idea of being able to secure a flank and at some point having depleted the resources.

I started this game at 0.17.1, but upgraded all patches to 0.17.9.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.17.1] Out of oil on island map

Post by BlueTemplar »

Coal liquefaction ?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Oil patches do not run out, so even without using coal liquefaction it will just take a bit longer to finish the game.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Put speed modules into the pumpjack. You can further increase its speed with beacons

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

Is it a map with finite borders where you can't just build a landbridge to more resources?

I'm pretty sure Factorio is balanced around the infinite map. If you use world settings to generate a world which is too small to have the resources needed to "complete" the game it is on you.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

There is now in island setting where your starting island is all there is

Though an archipelago map with tons of islands would be nice :)

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

The upper limit to oil production is a 700% boost. 100% from the pumpjack, and 600% via 12 beacons.
Admittedly this only works if you have space around the oil. If you don't the total will still be higher, but the individual amount will be lower.

That is a glorious 160 oil per second. Which, admittedly, isn't that glorious, but it is a lot better than 20/sec

I still think there should be an achievement for maximally overclocking an oil well.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:53 pm
The upper limit to oil production is a 700% boost. 100% from the pumpjack, and 600% via 12 beacons.
I'm pretty sure that mining productivity also increases oil yield, so at 30% mining productivity, that would be another 30% boost. (Speed boost and productivity boosts are multiplicative, so that gets you to around 1000% of the output you would have without any research or modules).

Return to “Gameplay Help”