Difficulty presets in freeplay

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Difficulty presets in freeplay

Post by cpy »

So i play freeplay now once more. I have this Normal normal normal... medium medium medium... regular regular regular... settings by default.

So anyone have some kind of harder option that he plays so i can try something more challenging? Any settings compilation of what you tried and works for you?
Screenshots would be nice too. :)

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Difficulty presets in freeplay

Post by FishSandwich »

Starting Area: None
Enemy everything set to very high.
Have fun

Calico
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Calico »

If you like trains (ofc you like trains, everybody loves them :D ) try all medium settings but reduce the frequency of ressources to low or even very low while increasing the richness by 1-2 levels. I tend to do that with a large staring area and just restart 1-3 times until i've found one with decent starting ressources.

Or, for a bit more extreme game try the ressource spawning mod from dark. HUGE empty stretches of land, very far apart ressource fields with some biters to fill in the gaps. Takes me 2 mins with Train to reach my last Outpost.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Starting area none is impossible to survive.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Try max biter settings, and either lower resource settings or make your starting area small. Should make for an interesting game.
Maybe like max biter settings, and resource frequency to low, but richness to high. That way you pretty much have to go through the biters to more resources. :p

Lol at Fish's idea...
Image Image Image

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

I've been trying out everything at minimal settings because I felt like the fields I started with lasted forever, and I wanted something like the campaign map with the trains where you had enough to start with but ultimately needed trains, and had to defend the mining outposts against biters. Ended up running out of iron and had no way of killing enough biters & nests to clear the way so I could get more.
Tried upping the frequency of everything while increasing water size after that, but I just discovered I don't have any oil at all on the continent I started on. But at least the coastline is very pretty.

I was thinking of making a custom map and placing resources & biters manually, but it ended up really tedious and looked kind of ugly (props to whoever made the world generator, it makes some sweet-looking terrain), plus it was boring to know exactly where everything was from the start, so I didn't finish it. If anyone else has one, I'd love to play it!

Factorian
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Factorian »

Align wrote: If anyone else has one, I'd love to play it!
You do know there is an entire forum section devoted to custom scenarios and maps right?

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

Yeah but the only one I saw in there like what I was looking for is Oasis - which is too hardcore - and it's sequel - ditto. There's only 22 threads...

In fact I think what I really want is a Richness setting for the starting area - so I could set all resources quite high but the starting area richness to very poor and get something like what I described.

EDIT: Ah, this looks like the mod for me: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=4761

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

I have this fun little setting now:

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

Terrain segmentation set to high or more is definitely a good way to challenge yourself in terms of your creations adapting with limited space.

Return to “General discussion”