[kovarex] [0.17.3] Train leaves disabled station

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Teraka
Inserter
Inserter

[kovarex] [0.17.3] Train leaves disabled station

Post by Teraka »

Here is a gif of the bug in action:

As you can see, those trains are all partially filled, set to leave the station when completely full, and yet they're leaving as soon as they touch down on the station (the gif doesn't show it, but those trains' inventories are not limited). Emptying the inventory manually and removing/re-adding the "wait until inventory full" condition didn't fix the issue, and other identical trains on this network are working properly.

The circuitry is a bit involved but basically just disables the station when the train arrives. This however shouldn't allow the train to leave before its conditions are filled, since it worked that way in 0.16 (and separate tests showed it working properly in 0.17.0 with the same conditions).

Link to the save file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tpkp4a07sjs5c ... 1.zip?dl=0

Edit: From further looking at other trains in similar networks, it looks like stations enabling and disabling themselves causes trains to re-path even if they're already stopped at a station without their conditions being met.
Last edited by Teraka on Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SeikakuOtosan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.17.0] Trains sometimes leave a station instantly without conditions being met

Post by SeikakuOtosan »

can confirm [0.17.2] i also am experiencing this bug. where trains are leaving stations before they have met their conditions. while looking at the train planner, it appears that the train will wait at the station and do what its supposed to do, until for some reason the station will flash closed to the stopped train. for 1 tick. and that will cause the train to leave the station.

i have seen this bug present itself where in the AI will both either path right back to the station it just left. (it does not need to physically go through another station to loop around) and also advance the AI to the next station ( when the train would have to physically path through another station if it were to loop around)
Last edited by SeikakuOtosan on Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [kovarex] [0.17.2] Trains sometimes leave a station instantly without conditions being met

Post by kovarex »

Can you reproduce it with a station that isn't connected to circuit network with enabled/disabled controled by it? When I removed the condition I couldn't reproduce it.

Teraka
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [kovarex] [0.17.2] Trains sometimes leave a station instantly without conditions being met

Post by Teraka »

No, the bug is linked directly to stations enabling/disabling.

Here's a blueprint that reproduces it reliably:

Let the train run, then disable the left station by enabling the constant combinator, and enable the right one by disabling its constant combinator. The train will immediately repath and leave the station without first waiting to fill its conditions.

This is contrary to how it worked in 0.16, and breaks a lot of behaviors linked to managing more complex loading/unloading bays, like the ones in the save I linked above.

SeikakuOtosan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [kovarex] [0.17.3] Trains sometimes leave a station instantly without conditions being met

Post by SeikakuOtosan »

i tried to upload a video yesterday, but youtube logged me out before it got all the way uploaded. so it failed. made a different, shorter video today, not the best frame rate, but hopefully clear enough to see what is going on. also more details are in the video description. and i will paste them here as well.

https://youtu.be/aiaGWpSsooM
in this video we can see the first train leaves the drop off station before meeting either the inactivity condition, or the empty condition. also note the station is not full of resources.

additionally instead of returning to a drop off station the train advances to the next station, instead of going back through my (staging) station right before the drop off station. which it would have to do if it were to loop back.

after the cut we see a train at a materials pick up station, again the train leaves before picking up a full load of materials, or being inactive for 5 seconds. which are its leave conditions. when it does leave though it paths right back to another station with the same name. (in this case the same station) but it does not have to go through another station to reach it. as it did before. and so does not advance the planner to the next stop, once the train is full though the planner advances to the next stop. this only happens on stations that are setup to close when a train is present through the logistic system.

i tried to show off how my stations are wired as well, and i hope one can get a grasp of how they are wired by looking at the tool tips on the left side when i open up and hover over the logistic buildings.

zignotzag
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [kovarex] [0.17.3] Train leaves disabled station

Post by zignotzag »

I also had this issue.

In my case it was related to multi-station pickups that all had the same station name. I had a circuit setup so that when a train arrived at one of the stations it would disable that station and enable the next station in the setup. This way the next train seeking that station name would proceed to the stations in a sequential order to balance output of the factory and maximize the loading speed, giving stations time to buffer a bit before the next train arrived. In 1.6 the trains did not leave the station until the conditions were met, regardless of enabled/disabled status. In 1.74 the train leaves the station as soon as it becomes disabled AND the next station with same name becomes enabled. I have already corrected this behavior by modifying the circuit to not disable the station until the train leaves, which is actually a little bit of an improvement to my setup as sometimes I could get constant re-pathing when all the stations had a train at them, thus all disabled.

wakjah
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wakjah »

I am having this issue as well.

As far as I can tell it only happens when you have multiple stations named the same thing.

Here is a minimal blueprint that reproduces the issue for me

To reproduce the issue using the above blueprint:

- Set both combinators to off. Both stops will now be disabled. Neither of the trains will be showing "No Path"
- Set one of the combinators to on. The *other* train will now try to path to this stop, even if its conditions for leaving the station haven't been met. It will show "No Path"

As with the other posters, I tried the same thing in 0.16 and this didn't happen.

TheEightWonder
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TheEightWonder »

Same thing here. I have four trains picking up materials from outposts which all have the same name. When one of the stations changes it's condition (on/off) the trains rerout and go to diferent ones (or sometimes the same).

My entire factory runs of on this system, so it's entiraly broken now. i will post a save game but it has a lot of mods. It probably will do the same thing if all the mods are gone.

mutemute
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mutemute »

zignotzag wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:21 pm
In 1.74 the train leaves the station as soon as it becomes disabled AND the next station with same name becomes enabled.
Was able to reproduce it like this as well. It is like re-pathing logic is applying immediately when the train is at a disabled stop and an enabled stop of the same name becomes available.

SeikakuOtosan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SeikakuOtosan »

mutemute wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:49 am
zignotzag wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:21 pm
In 1.74 the train leaves the station as soon as it becomes disabled AND the next station with same name becomes enabled.
Was able to reproduce it like this as well. It is like re-pathing logic is applying immediately when the train is at a disabled stop and an enabled stop of the same name becomes available.
i have a route setup with trains that have 8 input stations (same name) and 2 output stations (same name) even when i have trains at the output stations and i can 100% confirm that the other station with the same name has not come online they will still leave. it is possible that the input stations coming online are forcing the train to leave, even though it is not going there, even for its next stop, which would be a waiting station.

struppi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by struppi »

Same here.

I also use the same name for all stations of the same ore. So the conditions define which station is enabled (enough ore to pick up) and the trains only go to stations where enough ore is and it's not busy (Read stopped train). Now with 0.17 the train in the station seems to recheck if the station is enabled while standing in it and if disabled it drives to the next one which is enabled. Even if this is the case it should go to the next station in the list, which would be "unload station" but instead it re-evaluates the same station it is actually doing resulting in trains driving around with half empty load.

My blueprint for an iron ore station:

The train has just ore station (full inventory, 10s inactivity) and unload station (empty inventory)

knightelite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by knightelite »

I reproduced this as well in 0.17.7 and posted about it in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=66994

I also made this video of it in action, triggered when you enable a disabled station. It also occurs when you place a new station with the same name when all existing ones are disabled. Save is attached in that thread, but I attached it to this post as well.
Attachments
metadata_combiner_workspace.zip
(2.69 MiB) Downloaded 127 times

barbary
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by barbary »

I have just loaded my 0.16 map into 0.17.7 and have this bug and it's killing me.

I have a 8 stations named 0Copper Plate Unload. 4 of them are set to be disabled if a Train is in the station.

Something happened in the game and all the trains sitting waiting to unload (or in the middle of unloading) just up and leave all at the same time.

Pay
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Pay »

barbary wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:02 pm
Something happened in the game and all the trains sitting waiting to unload (or in the middle of unloading) just up and leave all at the same time.
It seems like if a train sits in a disabled station and a station with the same name gets enabled it repaths immediately, resulting in leaving the station but not advancing its train schedule.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I wasn't sure whether it is a feature or a bug, but after reading through, the decision is to revert it to the 0.16 behaviour:
changelog_0.17.9 wrote: - Disabling station with train waiting in it doesn't force the train to departure anymore so it works as it worked in 0.16.
It looked like a useful change for 0.17, but we can control train conditions by circuit network and there are some
nice and simple usecases were ruined by trains being forced to departure when the stop is disabled. (65109)
So fixed for 0.17.9

knightelite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by knightelite »

Awesome, thank you!

barbary
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by barbary »

kovarex wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:24 pm
I wasn't sure whether it is a feature or a bug, but after reading through, the decision is to revert it to the 0.16 behaviour:
changelog_0.17.9 wrote: - Disabling station with train waiting in it doesn't force the train to departure anymore so it works as it worked in 0.16.
It looked like a useful change for 0.17, but we can control train conditions by circuit network and there are some
nice and simple usecases were ruined by trains being forced to departure when the stop is disabled. (65109)
So fixed for 0.17.9
Thank you muchly, Probably the last bug stopping me playing 0.17.

IV 
Inserter
Inserter

Post by IV  »

kovarex wrote:
So fixed for 0.17.9
I'm a bit sad that this bug/feature had to go. It was the only way to make a train leave without moving forward through the schedule. This allowed for trains to unload partially at several 'unload' stations and then move on to a load station. However, I understand the decision to go back to the old behavior.

Khaylain
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Khaylain »

IV  wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:50 am
kovarex wrote:
So fixed for 0.17.9
I'm a bit sad that this bug/feature had to go. It was the only way to make a train leave without moving forward through the schedule. This allowed for trains to unload partially at several 'unload' stations and then move on to a load station. However, I understand the decision to go back to the old behavior.
I'll simply leave this here;
https://xkcd.com/1172/

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”