Sulfur concrete

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Sulfur concrete

Post by leadraven »

TL;DR
Replace or upgrade refined concrete with sulfur concrete.
What ?
Just found this material on Wiki : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfur_concrete
Actually, it doesn't use some components of common concrete, but in terms of game it could be concrete+sulfur.
Why ?
More dependencies between existing entities is a good thing, isn't it?
All stages of concrete are just stone+iron, and mixing it with chemical would be nice!

At least it could be done as a mod, but I don't see any reason not to add this recipe into vanilla. No additional intermediates and over-complications, just a nice recipe with corresponding tech.

P.S. And use Sulfur concrete as ingredient for Production science pack :twisted:

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Sulfur concrete

Post by Artman40 »

I suggest the upgrade rather replacement.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

Artman40 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:55 pm
I suggest the upgrade rather replacement.
Currently, refined concrete is redundant. It doesn't require new ingredients or new tech. It is just better then regular concrete. More expensive, but who cares? Does anyone use regular concrete as pathing?
Logically, regular concrete must be used as pathing, and refined concrete as building material, not vise versa.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

leadraven wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:34 pm
Does anyone use regular concrete as pathing?
The only reason I'm not using it is because it looks terrible. The texture would be great for stone brick

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

+1

Yeah I was looking at concrete the other day going "I'm sure my chemistry classes had a chemical process for concrete at some point" would love to see the better concrete be more complicated, might argue reinforced concrete IRL sometimes uses steel not iron too, Sulphur or Sulphuric acid in here would make it a step up to use the better paths (although I'll admit I never use paths cause I'm lazy) and it might make sense if different levels of buildings needed different concretes? Electric furnaces get the concrete treatment rather than steel and brick, maybe level 3 assemblers and steam turbines need concrete foundations due to their increased speed compared to their earlier game counter parts, and put the refined concrete further down the rabbit hole on nuclear reactors and rocket silos. But definitely should be a mod to test out the balance of this before it goes in the game.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

Okey, let's talk more specific. Recipes, technologies, dependencies.
In the reality, sulfur concrete is an alternative branch. By this logic, recipe must be ore+brick+sulfur.
But I think linear progression of concrete quality is better from the game perspective. How to insert sulfur concrete into current brick/common/refined progression? It will be strange to force usage of sulfur concrete in production of refined.
May be sulfur and refined might be different branches? For example, sulfur for walking and refined for buildings.
Does game even need refined concrete?

EDIT:
Addition of 2% metal fiber increase the compressive strength
Sulfur concrete can have iron rod as ingredient or have a refined version.

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

I'm starting to think that Sulfur Concrete might be just an alternative recipe for usual concrete.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”