stop restricting download of factorio

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

stop restricting download of factorio

Post by nuhll »

Hi there,

WHAT
its really annoying, i want to download a fresh copy of factorio.

I click the link.. starts with 25mbits... goes down, or cancels complete. I have 100Mbits and i live in germany, not africa. Currently im downloading with 300kbs (will take over an hour!!!)

You cant just download the game, you have to try it multiple times. Your Server does not allow to resume, you need to start EVERY time from scratch.

THIS WILL NOT PROVIDE YOU ANY USEFULL COPY PROTECTION, IT WILL ONLY FUGG YOUR PAYIN CUSTOMERS.

So i ask you to remove that, i suggest the following (thats how many publisher does this)

SUGGESTION
- create a temporary link when login in (e.g. /asdhajsdhjah23h4eiu23/Factorio_x64_0.17.5.zip )
- allow this link to get downloaded from what ever ip i want, without again login in for next 5 minutes (u need to start downloading in the next 5 minutes or link gets invalid)
- allow us to resume the download when it cancels

WHY

because then i could use download accelators and could also resume the link.

Also im pretty sure that you would save alot of bandwidth, because i dont think im the only one with this problem.

Today i already tried 5x to download factorio, its only 1,1gb but im waiting now already half an hour.

Please change this.

Thanks for this great game.
Last edited by nuhll on Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: stop restrikting download of factorio

Post by steinio »

Could it be your internet connection?

Germany is #Neuland regarding internet.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

steinio wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:45 pm
Could it be your internet connection?

Germany is #Neuland regarding internet.
No. Its not my internet restricting the download to be not resumable. Its also not my internet connection which doesnt allow the download to be downloaded via an download accelator.

Anyway hats not my suggestion. There are many people with bad internet out there, this not only belongs to me. There is no reason in 2019 to restrict downloads that way.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Just for the lulz, thats my speedtest WHILE DOWNLOADING factorio with 200kbs.
speed.png
speed.png (45.84 KiB) Viewed 5540 times

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Download accelerators are a bad thing overall. You are trying to prioritize yourself over other users as currently everyone is balanced.
Not everyone can provide multiple 10 Gbit/s channels for hosting files. This is not P2P torrent stuff its only TCP/IP connections which have a naturally limited rates.
Most of times the game relies on progressive patching which does not require full game download. This one always takes really long for any game.
Steam has built in capabilities for that. And devs also do host their own source and that is something to be grateful for and not to complain about.
Also right now its a really big load on Factorio servers due to really fast release pace and everyone just spamming downloads.

So please be patient and stop the nonsense you start here.

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews »

nuhll wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:42 pm
- allow this link to get downloaded from what ever ip i want, without again login in for next 5 minutes (u need to start downloading in the next 5 minutes or link
Why is your IP changing?
Also im pretty sure that you would save alot of bandwidth, because i dont think im the only one with this problem.
That is what the game/Steam update is for, don't redownload from the website.
Today i already tried 5x to download factorio, its only 1,1gb but im waiting now already half an hour.
I have downloaded a couple of versions normal and server the past week both from the website and on Steam with 0.17 in the UK, with speeds over 8MB/s, didn't take long and no issues.

While it could be good for the site to support download broken downloads (HTTP "Accept-Ranges", and "Range" header) that is not the same as the accelerators that often try to spam multiple connections at a time. And with it only take a few minutes not a big deal for most people, I could only see it being an issue on slow connections.

Of course Steam provides full resume support, and last I checked, everyone gets a key for Steam activation.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

SyncViews wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:43 pm
- allow this link to get downloaded from what ever ip i want, without again login in for next 5 minutes (u need to start downloading in the next 5 minutes or link
Why is your IP changing?
That is what the game/Steam update is for, don't redownload from the website.
I have downloaded a couple of versions normal and server the past week both from the website and on Steam with 0.17 in the UK, with speeds over 8MB/s, didn't take long and no issues.

While it could be good for the site to support download broken downloads (HTTP "Accept-Ranges", and "Range" header) that is not the same as the accelerators that often try to spam multiple connections at a time. And with it only take a few minutes not a big deal for most people, I could only see it being an issue on slow connections.

Of course Steam provides full resume support, and last I checked, everyone gets a key for Steam activation.
Why i even have to explain it to you?

1.) my ip doesnt change (atleast not any more, since i know its restrikted) there might be servival reasons for that, there are also many ISPs that route they customers traffic over dozens of randomly changing ipv4 adresses (e.g. netkom in germany)
2.) I download it also via steam, no problem, but this is for my personal use, i also like to do factorio videos and wanna keep that seperated. I dont have to explain why i want to download it that way anyway. The creator of that game allows to download it via http, then it should atleast work, OR NOT????

Currently again downloading for over an half hour 182mb, 5 hours left. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

PacifyerGrey wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:21 pm
Download accelerators are a bad thing overall. You are trying to prioritize yourself over other users as currently everyone is balanced.
Not everyone can provide multiple 10 Gbit/s channels for hosting files. This is not P2P torrent stuff its only TCP/IP connections which have a naturally limited rates.
Most of times the game relies on progressive patching which does not require full game download. This one always takes really long for any game.
Steam has built in capabilities for that. And devs also do host their own source and that is something to be grateful for and not to complain about.
Also right now its a really big load on Factorio servers due to really fast release pace and everyone just spamming downloads.

So please be patient and stop the nonsense you start here.
Stop talking about things you clearly have no idea about, thanks.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I'm pretty sure Wube is not restricting transfer bandwidth explicitely. My guess is that, as their updater is currently not working, people redownloading over 1 GB data for each update cripples their servers bandwidth.
I'm sure once the updater is fixed, things will come back to normal.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Okay folks, just a update. I was able to download it with a steady 50Mbits this time. (its like my 15. try or so). I guess again wasted around 1 hour or more of my live...

I hope they change their mind on this download restrictions.
Last edited by nuhll on Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Koub wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:56 pm
I'm pretty sure Wube is not restricting transfer bandwidth explicitely. My guess is that, as their updater is currently not working, people redownloading over 1 GB data for each update cripples their servers bandwidth.
I'm sure once the updater is fixed, things will come back to normal.
No, i dont say they restrict the bandwidth or speed. I just say that its not correctly working (fast speeds, slow speeds, cancels download). Because of that not correctly working download it would be very usefull to RESUME DOWNLAODS insead of starting from scratch everytime.

I talk about removing that IP ban / login prozedure after you already logged in. So you could resume the download when it fails. Or use download accelors. (or in my case jdownloader)

Again:
1. let us login
2. create a customized download link (5min no activity, destroy link)
3. no other restrictions like ip, login

Its exactly the same behaivior i noticed EVERY SINGLE TIME when i want to download the game via http. Its definitly not because theres much goin on at the moment.

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews »

Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:48 pm
1.) my ip doesnt change (atleast not any more, since i know its restrikted) there might be servival reasons for that, there are also many ISPs that route they customers traffic over dozens of randomly changing ipv4 addresses (e.g. netkom in germany)
OK, maybe I wasn't clear. So an IP address generally should never change for an active connection, it breaks TCP, which messes with basically every website or other software, not unique to Factorio and ISP's shouldn't do this. So if the download starts there shouldn't be a problem with any ISP here.

Generally even across multiple TCP connections it is fairly stable within a session because of software breaking, although I can't recall how much standardisation there is here and what the generally accepted rules are. e.g. my mobile IP does change occasionally (I am sure the mobile ISP's don't have enough IPv4 for everyone anyway), but its hardly constant changes.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:58 pm
Again:
1. let us login
They actually already do this. The download page generates a signed link with expiry, and it is not tied to login OR ip.

The only limit is like I said, it doesn't allow for later resume (HTTP Range headers using that link), which is only a problem if you are dropping an active TCP connection. Now this could be at either end of course.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:23 pm
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:48 pm
1.) my ip doesnt change (atleast not any more, since i know its restrikted) there might be servival reasons for that, there are also many ISPs that route they customers traffic over dozens of randomly changing ipv4 addresses (e.g. netkom in germany)
OK, maybe I wasn't clear. So an IP address generally should never change for an active connection, it breaks TCP, which messes with basically every website or other software, not unique to Factorio and ISP's shouldn't do this. So if the download starts there shouldn't be a problem with any ISP here.

Generally even across multiple TCP connections it is fairly stable within a session because of software breaking, although I can't recall how much standardisation there is here and what the generally accepted rules are. e.g. my mobile IP does change occasionally (I am sure the mobile ISP's don't have enough IPv4 for everyone anyway), but its hardly constant changes.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:58 pm
Again:
1. let us login
They actually already do this. The download page generates a signed link with expiry, and it is not tied to login OR ip.

The only limit is like I said, it doesn't allow for later resume (HTTP Range headers using that link), which is only a problem if you are dropping an active TCP connection. Now this could be at either end of course.
If that would be true, generate a link and try to download it via jdownloader. I dont know what kind of restriction is in place, but there is some.

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews »

I tested it between my logged in Chrome on Virgin internet and another browser on my Three 4G mobile internet. The https://dcdn.factorio.com/releases/Fact ... ear-future link is not restricted, but the expiry is short and you can't resume with it.

I don't use download accelerators, they might mess with it or even be explicitly blocked.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:31 pm
I tested it between my logged in Chrome on Virgin internet and another browser on my Three 4G mobile internet. The https://dcdn.factorio.com/releases/Fact ... ear-future link is not restricted, but the expiry is short and you can't resume with it.

I don't use download accelerators, they might mess with it or even be explicitly blocked.
I also wont use download accelerators normally, only when i find servers which are broken (like this one here).

Anyway, were in a circle.
I dont see any reason why not to change this:

1. enable resume (that would be the most important part)
2. remove that restriction (what ever it might be) so we can use download accelerators if we like (or need)

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

I need to update the static version of my factorio install, since the auto update is not working in the version i have on the stick.

Again i try to download.

Speedtest.net shows over 90mbits before i start my first try.

1. try Blazing fast 13kbs. (around 26h, aborting)
2. try 120kbs, will try to load finish. Server closed connection at around 15min downloading (was climbing up to 150kbs)
3. try 8 kbs. aborting.
4. try starting with 500kbs.. slowing goin to around 120kbs. Will try to finish. Keep you posted. Around half an hour passed, currently at around 200kbs. 1 hour to go... (and this in 2019). 10 min left, currently at around 600kbs. Overall- Very bad expierince, again.

I dont get why no represant of factorio is answering (atleast that they know the problem and are working on it)

Are the servers just overloaded? I mean its a CDN, how can that be?

Edit:
it seems like u host at linode.com... thats pretty expensive tho.... and would explain the bad conection us -> eu. u get better prices e.g. at hetzner.de with "flatrate" for lower prices and free ddos protection. Or, as i already suggested, move to google drive, 9€ unlimited space/traffic. (atleast your downloads)

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews »

Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:33 pm
and would explain the bad conection us -> eu.
Your download came from US? I get about 6MB/s download of Factorio in UK. When I downloaded 17.7 it came from Frankfurt (I do agree would be nice for patching to work for these daily updates). Maybe however they are doing the DNS does not work for your DNS provider (ISP/default one?).

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:40 pm
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:33 pm
and would explain the bad conection us -> eu.
Your download came from US? I get about 6MB/s download of Factorio in UK. When I downloaded 17.7 it came from Frankfurt (I do agree would be nice for patching to work for these daily updates). Maybe however they are doing the DNS does not work for your DNS provider (ISP/default one?).
AHA! So MAYBE tahts the problem!

Yes, i got linode (US) and this time i got 162.216.19.218 which is also US.

Im using google DNS.

My ip is standard telekom (biggest ISP in germany) .de, so that cdn should be easy see me from germany not US.

Maybe the CDN doesnt correct detect where im from, would also explain the 10kbs mod downloads... can any admin look into this, PLEASE? :)

Return to β€œTechnical Help”