A Long Guide to the Fantastic New Quickbar (0.17)

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
TheBloke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

A Long Guide to the Fantastic New Quickbar (0.17)

Post by TheBloke »

UPDATE: The majority of this content is now available on the Wiki Quickbar page. The Wiki should be considered the master copy going forward. However this post does still contain some 'tutorial' content not appropriate for the Wiki, and is written in a more informal style.

In my view the new Quickbar is absolutely fantastic.

So I thought I should do my best to explain why I think that is, to explain how it all works, and to give some more advanced ideas on how to use it quickly and effectively - especially with hotkeys.

No longer an inventory, purely an entity selection UI

Previously the Toolbelt was an extra inventory, functionally identical to the main inventory but always visible at the bottom of the screen. The new QuickBar is not an inventory. It's a UI tool for quickly accessing items, blueprints and ghost items, both with the mouse and with keyboard hotkeys.

The main inventory has been increased in size by 20 slots to account for the removal of the Toolbelt inventory of past versions.

Ten quickbars total, up to four visible at once

The new Quickbar is massively expanded in size from the old Toolbelt. There are now a total of 10 Quickbars available, numbered 0 to 9. You can see the full list of them by clicking on the number against any visible Quickbar:

You can also now have anywhere from 1 to 4 visible on screen at once, and this is configurable at any time - it's not locked behind research.

To change change the number visible on screen, go to Settings -> Interface:

Basic use of the Quickbar

A. Adding and removing items:
  1. With any item in your hand, you can click Left Mouse Button on any empty Quickbar slot to put that item in that slot.
  2. If you Left Click on an empty slot with an empty hand, it brings up the item selection UI so you can choose what goes in that slot.
  3. To clear any existing slot, press Middle Mouse Button on it (Windows/Linux;  on macOS it's Command-Right-Click.)
  4. This binding can be checked and/or changed under Settings->Controls->Inventory->Toggle Filter.
  5. You need to clear a slot before you can place a different item in it, there's no way to 'replace' a slot.
B. Accessing items:
  1. If you click on a filled slot, you will get that item in your hand.
    • This is true even if you click on a filled slot with something else already in your hand; the item in your hand changes to the new one.
    • Click Left Mouse Button on an entity to get a full stack of that item - or if your inventory has less than a full stack, then whatever amount you have.
    • Click Right Mouse Button on an entity to get half a stack of that item - or if you have less than a full stack in your inventory, you will get half of whatever amount you do have.
    • Click Right Mouse Button on a Blueprint Book to open that book as normal, and likewise you can Right Click on a BP or Deconstruction Planner to view its contents.
  2. If you click on an entity that you don't have in your inventory, the game can instead give a Ghost item.  You can place this for later construction, and/or for Construction Bots to build for you.
    • This is not enabled by default. You need to enable: Settings->Interface->Pick ghost item if no items are available.
    • I have found this a really useful new feature, which I recommend always enabling.
  3. The numbers under the Quickbar items show the total number of that item in your inventory.  No number and a greyed out icon means you have zero in your inventory.
C. What can go on the bar:
  1. Any type of entity.
  2. Any blueprint, blueprint book, deconstruction planner, or upgrade planner in your inventory.  Including a blank BP or blank deconstruction planner, if you have at least one in the inventory (if none in your inventory it will remain on the Quickbar, but won't work).
    • Keeping a blank planner on the Quickbar only really works with deconstruction planners, as a normal blank BP changes to a real BP as soon as you use it. But there are dedicated UI buttons for blank planners now, so this is less important.
    • This does mean there's no way to get a blank planner with a keyboard shortcut, at least without mods. Control-C can be used for quick blueprints, and you can then save these in the library, but this also fills your clipboard history which you may not want in every case.
    • Picker Blueprinter by Nexela adds hotkeys for getting blank BPs and deconstruction planners, which I have found quite useful.
  3. You can also place blueprints and blueprint books directly from your BP library.
    • If you place a BP or BP book from the library into your Quickbar, it remains linked to the BP library.  So for example right-clicking on a Library BP book in the Quickbar and then adding a new BP to it will automatically save this to your BP library.
    • If you right-click on a Quickbar BP that's from your Library, the BP Library UI will pop-up in the background.  This is your only visual reminder that you're directly editing a Library BP, so do be careful if you access a BP/Book from the Quickbar then click Delete!
    • It is still possible to have BPs in your inventory, and to place those BPs on the Quickbar.  There is a visual difference between a BP from your inventory vs a BP from the Library - the Library one has a darker background and doesn't have the dotted-white-line border of a normal BP.
      • Here's a side-by-side comparison of an inventory blueprint (left) and a Library blueprint (right):
D. Changing Quickbars with the mouse:
  1. You can click on the Quickbar number to bring up the list of all Quickbars - as shown in the first image above.  If you then click on a different Quickbar, it will replace the one you clicked on.
  2. For example if you click on the number '3' against the third Quickbar and then choose Quickbar 6 from the list that pops out, you will now have quickbar 6 in the place that quickbar 3 was previously:
Ideas for arranging the Quickbars

In my view the most sensible Quickbar arrangement is to categorise them. For example, I am doing it like this:
  • Quickbar 1: most commonly used building items : belts, splitters, undergrounds, inserters, roboports, power poles
  • Quickbar 2: combat and exploration : bots, grenades, fish, landfill, concrete, cliff explosives, alternate armour, etc
  • Quickbar 3: Production buildings : assembler, furnace, mining drill, pumps, centrifuge, etc
  • Quickbar 4: Logistics and modules: logistic chests, normal chests, modules, beacon
  • Quickbar 5: Railway : rails, signals, locos, all kinds of wagons
  • Quickbar 6: Circuits : red/green wires, all kinds of combinators, lamps, some modded circuit stuff like Nixies
  • Quickbar 7: Military : walls, laser and artillery turrets, gates, radars, etc
  • Quickbar 8: Blueprints and blueprint books.
I'm still working on the ideal configuration, and I haven't yet put anything on Quickbars 9 and 10. I may well reserve at least one of these for future modded entities. And I might have a "misc" bar for stuff that doesn't obviously go anywhere else.

However you decide to arrange it, I think by-category is likely to be the most effective. This particularly applies if you plan to use hotkeys to quickly access items without having to slowly click with the mouse. As explained in the following section:

Quickbar hotkeys

For me this is one of the most exciting aspects of the new Quickbar. It's now possible to access any one of 100 separate items with at most two successive hotkeys - and do so regardless of whether that item is in your inventory; if it's not, you can instead place a ghost.

I made a quick video showing this in action and to hopefully demonstrate why I think it's so cool. In the following video I build a tiny little red science production chain using only the keyboard to select entities. I do not open the inventory or click on the Quickbar with the mouse at any time - except right at the start to show you my Quickbar config. The video has a keyboard overlay so you can see the keys I press to achieve this.

Factorio 0.17 Quickbar HotKey Demo Video:

Here's the full list of available Quickbar hotkeys, at their default settings:

That's a lot! Here's how they breakdown:
  1. Shortcut 1 to 10 : equivalent to the previous versions' "Quickbar 1 - 10".    These keys select the items on the top bar.  For example pressing shortcut 5 would put into your hand whatever item is in slot 5 of the top bar.
    • Note that in previous versions these were by default bound to 1-5 and Shift 1-5.  They now default to 0-9.
    • Personally I much prefer the old method.  It's hard to quickly hit 6, 7, 8, 9 and 0 with one hand on the mouse.
    • So you might want to do what I did, and re-bind the new Shortcut hotkeys to 1-5 and Shift 1-5.
  2. Secondary Shortcut 1 to 10 : the same idea, but for the second visible bar.
    • Not bound by default.  I have bound mine to: Control 1-5 and Control-Shift 1 to 5
    • So if I press Control 5, I get in my hand the item in slot 5 of the second visible bar.
    • As you can access the second quickbar directly it makes sense to reserve this for something specific.
    • In my case I keep the second quickbar as my 'combat and exploration' bar.  For example I can quickly select fish, combat bots, grenades plus landfill, cliff explosives and concrete without having to first swap to the second bar.
  3. Select Quickbar 1 to 10 : sets that Quickbar as the top bar.
    • Whichever bar is selected will go into the top position.
    • This is really powerful, as once you've put a certain bar at the top you can then access any of its 10 item using the Shortcut 1 to 10 hotkeys.
    • So following this hotkey with the Shortcut 1 to 10 keys means that with no more than two successive hotkeys you can select any item on any bar - up to 100 different entities.
    • The other visible bars are not affected by this hotkey, only the top one.
    • I have re-bound mine to Alt-1 to 5 (bars 1 to 5) and Control-Alt 1 to 5 (bars 6 to 10).
  4. Rotate active quickbars : This rotates the visible quickbars on the screen, moving the top one to the bottom, second one to the top, third to second, etc.
  5. Next/Previous active quickbar : This is another way to adjust the top quickbar (like the 'Select Quickbar' shortcuts) - it moves to the next numbered quickbar, but only for the top position.
    • So for example if the top Quickbar is currently number 5, pressing the Next Active Quickbar hotkey would change this to number 6.
    • The other Quickbars are not affected by this hotkey, only the top one.
    • Not bound by default.  I've bound them to Control-Alt-D (Next) and Control-Alt-A (Previous).  But I've not yet used them.
    • Note that you can bind them to a mouse button, or key+mouse combo.  For example you could bind them to the Back/Forward buttons on your mouse (usually known as Mouse Button 4 and 5.)
Different methods for manipulating multiple Quickbars

Factorio provides four different methods of accessing your multiple bars.

The first is with the mouse - clicking the Quickbar number to select a different bar for that slot, as described under Basic Usage.

The next three are with the keyboard. I showed in the video the first method, which is the way I'm currently doing it: using the Select Quickbar shortcut to bring a given bar to the top, so that I can then access its items with the Shortcut 1 to 10 keys. The other three bars I leave in the same position at all times. The second bar is my Combat bar, and I can access those with the Secondary Shortcut keys. The third and fourth bar I can't access directly with they keyboard, so they're for occasional mouse usage, and so I can see at a glance what's on them. At some point I might stop displaying bars 3 and 4 so as to reduce the size of the UI - at least once I have their contents memorised.

The second keyboard method provided is Rotate active. This is the only hotkey that changes all the bars at once, and also the only hotkey that can't activate any new bars; it only affects the bars already visible. It's pretty much identical to the same hotkey in previous Factorio versions - it simply rotates the hotbars.

The third keyboard method is Next/Previous active. This only manipulates the top bar, like with the Select Quickbar keys. It could be useful if you only use a handful of bars, like maybe 1-4, and just want to rotate back and forward through them. Particularly if you choose to only have one bar visible at a time.

Manipulating Quickbar examples
Here's how my own Quickbars look by default, with four visible:

As I showed in the video, if I use a Select Quickbar hotkey it will change only the top bar. For example if I now press the hotkey for Select quickbar 6, it updates like this:

What about the Rotate active quickbars hotkey? If I press that now - with quickbar 6 still at the top - it rotates like this:

Finally, the Next/Previous active quickbar keys. Here's what happens when I now press Next Active Quickbar:

This hotkey, like Select quickbar, only affects the top bar. So pressing Next Active Quickbar will change the top bar to the next one in the sequence, and not change the others. In this example, that means I end up with bar 3 in two places, top and second.

This can get a little confusing. In my view it's likely not intended that all three of these access methods are used in conjunction. Rather they're three different ways to access and manipulate your bars, and you can choose the one or two that work best for you.

Myself I am for now sticking with the Select Quickbar hotkeys, to directly choose the Quickbar that goes in the top slot. Once I have a given bar in the top position I can then access any of its items. So by remembering which Quickbar contains what type of items - for example, I have all my Production buildings on bar 3, chests on bar 4, railway stuff on bar 5, circuit stuff on bar 6 - I can choose the appropriate bar and then immediately use the standard Select shortcuts to pick the item I want from that bar.

Bar 2 is a bit different again, given it has its own Secondary Shortcuts to access it. I therefore keep it for combat and exploration items, allowing me to always access these at any time, regardless of what I've got in bar position 1. Arguably this means I could reduce the number of visible bars to only two. But for now I'm keeping it at 4, as this allows me to see on screen what items are on bars 3 and 4, as a reminder. Maybe once I have them all memorised I might stop doing this.

Preserving Quickbar config between games?

Given that we can now configure the quickbar with up to 100 items in 10 bars - and potentially will learn hotkeys to access many of them directly - it becomes likely that we'll want to keep using the same Quickbar settings across multiple games.

Right now there's no way to do that in the vanilla game. This feature has been requested to be added to the game in this thread in the feature suggestion forum.

Fortunately thanks to talented modders there are now ways to do this using mods. Two mods have been created that allow preserving and restoring quickbar layouts, in slightly different ways:

Quickbar blueprint by Dimava
  • This mod allows saving quickbar presets as blueprints. Whenever you have a blank BP in your hand a UI button appears in the top left of the screen that can copy your current quickbar setup into that blueprint. The same button can later be used with a quickbar BP in your hand to restore the quickbar layout.
  • By using blueprints to store quickbar layouts (the mod uses a grid of Constant Combinators to store the structure in blueprint form), the author has enabled us to store multiple layouts using blueprint books (an in-game preset library!), to share them using the standard blueprint import/export string functionality, and even to access these layouts using external blueprint tools like factorioprints.com and the Discord and Reddit !blueprint bots. An excellent idea!
Quickbar Import/Export by Therenas
  • This mod takes a different and simpler approach. A UI button is visible top left, as well as a shortcut bar icon and keyboard shortcuts, that allow exporting the current quickbar preset as a string.
  • This string can be saved in any text file, or shared with friends, and then Imported into another game to re-create that quickbar layout. No blueprints are required so it's a quicker import and export, but therefore lacks the ability to use blueprint books as an in-game 'preset library'.
Both mods provide a way to save your current quickbar layout and then re-import it later, and either will make using the quickbar in future games a vastly quicker experience; exactly what we needed. The only limitation is that there's not at the moment a way to preserve the position of library blueprints pinned to the quickbar, so these will need to be manually restored each time. Hopefully a way around this limitation will be found in time.

I do still hope that this feature will eventually make it into the base game so it can be available to every user. If and when it is we might even see quickbar presets widely shared around the community in the same way that blueprints are now. But until then these mods do a great job of saving us the time of re-configuring the quickbar each new game.

That was a lot of text about this new feature - thanks for reading! I hope you found some of it helpful. This seemingly simple new feature does hide some complexity, and in my view it contains a lot of power. So I thought it worth going into some detail on :)

Thanks to danielbrauer for the diagrams in the Manipulating Quickbar section.
Last edited by TheBloke on Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:22 am, edited 12 times in total.

CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: A Long Guide to the Fantastic New Quickbar (0.17)

Post by CDarklock »

Excellent guide! Thanks for all your hard work :)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moved to Gameplay Help, because I feel this is where ii will be best seen by people who need it. Alsto stickied, because reasons.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

danielbrauer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by danielbrauer »

This is a great guide. I tried making some quick diagrams to improve your illustrations:

MoleOnDope
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MoleOnDope »

I legit thought this was put together by a factorio staff member :D

Thank you for your super detailed and nicely structured guide, I will definitely come back to it whenever I'm unsure about something! I encourage you to get this integrated into the wiki, there's probably not much else left to say about the Quickbar.

*I'm so proud of this community* 8-)

TheBloke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheBloke »

MoleOnDope wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:53 pm
I legit thought this was put together by a factorio staff member :D

Thank you for your super detailed and nicely structured guide, I will definitely come back to it whenever I'm unsure about something! I encourage you to get this integrated into the wiki, there's probably not much else left to say about the Quickbar.

*I'm so proud of this community* 8-)
Thank you, you're very kind :) It couldn't have been written by anyone at Wube, though - there's no way they'd be immodest enough to open with "In my view the new Quickbar is absolutely fantastic" :D

I signed up to the Wiki recently and will definitely try to get some of this content up there.
danielbrauer wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:26 pm
This is a great guide. I tried making some quick diagrams to improve your illustrations:
OK thanks for that, I've edited them in.

Sortileger
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sortileger »

Thank you SO much for this guide. I hope they pin it.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Sortileger wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:09 am
Thank you SO much for this guide. I hope they pin it.
Koub wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:16 pm
[Koub] Moved to Gameplay Help, because I feel this is where ii will be best seen by people who need it. Alsto stickied, because reasons.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Note that OP is an amazing person and added the guide to the wiki: https://wiki.factorio.com/Quickbar
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

TheBloke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheBloke »

Thanks everyone for the new kind comments, it's really pleasing to know the guide is helpful.

And yes I added most of this content (the non-tutorial aspects of it) to the Wiki which should now be considered the master version. Sorry, I should have mentioned that earlier.

Also, I've just made an edit to the last section of this guide - regarding saving quickbar layouts - to mention that there are now two mods that provide ways to export and import quickbar layouts. This means that the only weakness of the quickbar - the fact that one had to re-create the layout in each new game - is now solved for anyone who is willing to use mods.

Check the end of the OP for the links to those mods, and great job to their authors: Therenas and Dimava!

jim lee
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jim lee »

Ok, so how does one remove an item if they are on a Mac?

"Existing links can be removed by clicking Middle mouse button on the slot." Mac's don't come with middle mouse buttons and I've not been able to find where I can change this. I can't find it listed in the control override menu.

-jim lee

TheBloke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheBloke »

jim lee wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:47 am
Ok, so how does one remove an item if they are on a Mac?

"Existing links can be removed by clicking Middle mouse button on the slot." Mac's don't come with middle mouse buttons and I've not been able to find where I can change this. I can't find it listed in the control override menu.

-jim lee
It's Command-Right-Click on macOS, and the control binding is Controls->Inventory->Toggle Filter.

Check "Adding and removing items" under "Basic use of the Quickbar" :)

jim lee
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jim lee »

THANKS!!

I swear I tried everything! guess I didn't try that.

-jim lee

Johnny Rico
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Johnny Rico »

This entire release is a mess. I hate it.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Removing sticky because too old
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Gameplay Help”