[0.17] Rotating underground belt direction

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
comicalPenguin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17] Rotating underground belt direction

Post by comicalPenguin » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:22 pm

Short version: Is there a way to rotate both the exit position and the belt direction when laying down an underground belt?

Long version:
I'm trying the new Transport belt madness campaign, and I ran into a problem with trying to lay down underground belts. I need to rotate the direction of the belt, but when placing the belts down, I am only able to rotate the direction of the exit. Is there some way to rotate both aspects when laying it down?

A picture will help explaining.
rotateUnderground.png
rotateUnderground.png (102 KiB) Viewed 166 times
The white pair is an already exiting underground belt, going up and to the right. I am trying to place down the red underground belts, but when I place the 'exit' part (3), it flips it to match the upper white exit (2).
Now, if I place the underground so that the exit side is correct, then I can press 'R' to rotate the belt direction (see (5) with the desired belt direction). However, if I do this inline with the white belts, then flipping the newly placed exit (3) will flip a white exit. There's no way to connect it to my red entrance (1).

I'm running 0.17.4.

jcranmer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.17] Rotating underground belt direction

Post by jcranmer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:55 am

You can't mix underground belts like that. When you place down the underground belt exit #3, it connects with #2. Exits #1 and #4 are orphaned; they no longer have any partner. If you want to do that kind of underground mixing, #1 and #3 would have to be a different tier of belt (different color) from #2 and #4.

comicalPenguin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.17] Rotating underground belt direction

Post by comicalPenguin » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:23 am

I understand the "underground belts match up to ones of the same color" if they are facing the same direction, and you need to do belt braiding to avoid that problem. I thought there was a way to avoid that if the same coloured belts are going in different directions. To my mind, this sort of "switching exit" (what 2 is doing) feels like a bug.

Then, I guess this post can sort of evolve to a feature request - can there be some secondary rotation key added for underground belts to switch the direction of the belt?

Return to “Gameplay Help”