Cracked Factorio PROBLEMS?!?! FIX THIS!

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
HyperGaming20
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Cracked Factorio PROBLEMS?!?! FIX THIS!

Post by HyperGaming20 »

Hello, so by the title this is already about cracked factorio and as a paid customer I am a little annoyed about how easily these guys are able to connect to the servers and the fact they have the nerve to try and get me to host a server for them to play on. It's very annoying.

I've had a few people say they got the cracked version before buying the game and some of them felt bad so they bought the game for others but that's no excuse. They shouldn't be able to crack the game and connect to multiplayer servers via direct IP.

So here is my idea...

Multiplayer servers will have to check with factorio servers if the user that connects has a uuid ( Unique User Identification ) number and it will check when the account was made and if the user was paid or not. Or maybe not even that. It would just check if the user is real. So the server will reject connections that have a invalid session ID or users who don't have a valid account. Meaning all cracked clients shouldn't be able to join.

This would help a lot to prevent people getting the game for free.

( My knowledge of this is based off Minecraft's system )

( To prove I own the game ) :/

Image ( game is in my steam library and I have 1.1k hours. )

chronodekar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Cracked Factorio PROBLEMS?!?! FIX THIS!

Post by chronodekar »

Umm... isn't this already a thing?
factorio_multi_settings.png
factorio_multi_settings.png (94.16 KiB) Viewed 43902 times
At the bottom of the multiplayer settings we have 'verify user identity'. If it's there in the GUI version, I'll be very surprised if it's missing from the headless server.

-chronodekar

HyperGaming20
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HyperGaming20 »

chronodekar wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:34 am
Umm... isn't this already a thing?

factorio_multi_settings.png

At the bottom of the multiplayer settings we have 'verify user identity'. If it's there in the GUI version, I'll be very surprised if it's missing from the headless server.

-chronodekar
See now I thought this would already be a feature but I don't see anything that identifies a user in the console as a player joins. So idk if this is a hidden feature or something or I'm blind but this is what I see. In a headless build.

Code: Select all

4689.486 Info ServerSynchronizer.cpp:576: nextHeartbeatSequenceNumber(129366) removing peer(23).
4696.634 ConnectionRequestReplyConfirm (type(ConnectionRequestReplyConfirm) ) from(IP ADDR:({PLAYERIPandPORT}))
4696.634 Info ServerRouter.cpp:418: Replying to connectionRequest for address(IP ADDR:({PLAYERIPandPORT})).
4696.634 Info ServerSynchronizer.cpp:557: nextHeartbeatSequenceNumber(129559) adding peer(36)
4696.658 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:714: updateTick(1631306) changing state from(InGame) to(InGameSavingMap)
4696.692 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:813: updateTick(1631306) received stateChanged peerID(36) oldState(Ready) newState(ConnectedWaitingForMap)
4699.329 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:876: UpdateTick(1631306) Serving map(/home/container/temp/mp-save-36.zip) for peer(36) size(55129528) crc(3627932761)
4699.329 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:714: updateTick(1631306) changing state from(InGameSavingMap) to(InGame)
4699.429 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:813: updateTick(1631314) received stateChanged peerID(36) oldState(ConnectedWaitingForMap) newState(ConnectedDownloadingMap)
4708.966 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:813: updateTick(1631886) received stateChanged peerID(36) oldState(ConnectedDownloadingMap) newState(ConnectedLoadingMap)
4712.536 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:813: updateTick(1632101) received stateChanged peerID(36) oldState(ConnectedLoadingMap) newState(TryingToCatchUp)
4718.907 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:813: updateTick(1632483) received stateChanged peerID(36) oldState(TryingToCatchUp) newState(WaitingForCommandToStartSendingTickClosures)
4718.907 Info GameActionHandler.cpp:4041: UpdateTick (1632483) processed PlayerJoinGame peerID(36) playerIndex(141) mode(connect)
4719.003 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:813: updateTick(1632489) received stateChanged peerID(36) oldState(WaitingForCommandToStartSendingTickClosures) newState(InGame)
2019-03-01 02:33:31 [JOIN] PLAYERNAME joined the game
Nothing states a user ID or anything soooo I didn't know if this was a thing or not. If they already had this feature... I would of thought It would be on by default.

christian
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by christian »

wow who are you to talk to the devs like that.

corgski
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by corgski »

Headless definitely has “verify user identity” turned on by default. I know because I had to turn it off temporarily to log in as a user who changed their name so I could drop their inventory in a chest for them, since inventories are tracked solely by name, not by any immutable identifier.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

The checkbox 'verify user identity' requires that they have an account on our site with full membership.

Moving this to technical help.

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews »

How do you know the people joining your server are using cracked copies?

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

HyperGaming20 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:14 am
They shouldn't be able to crack the game and connect to multiplayer servers via direct IP.

[...]

Multiplayer servers will have to check with factorio servers if the user that connects has a uuid ( Unique User Identification ) number and it will check when the account was made and if the user was paid or not. Or maybe not even that. It would just check if the user is real. So the server will reject connections that have a invalid session ID or users who don't have a valid account. Meaning all cracked clients shouldn't be able to join.
NO. Fuck DRM.
(Though fuck these people too that have the gall to ask you to support MP/mods for cracked copies !)

MP for my favorite game pretty much died when the company that hosted the matchmaking servers was bought out and then decided to shut them down (Gamespy).
And it didn't even have any DRM check like that either, so Direct Connect was still possible !
(Only checking if multiple people weren't using the same CD-key in the same game.)

I'd very much hate to see that happen to Factorio too
(yeah, it's safer because the matchmaking server is in Wube's hands, but Wube isn't eternal either...).

This "Verify user identity" checkbox seems to be the best compromise.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

corgski
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by corgski »

SyncViews wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:50 am
this is really the question that needs to be asked

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

corgski wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:13 am
SyncViews wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:50 am
this is really the question that needs to be asked
From the people I've met online who use cracked versions to pirate, I suspect they said something like:

"cud u hax ur srvr cuz we totes craxorzed r gamez n wana play kthxbai."

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

It was because of having a "cracked" Factorio 0.13 client that I got to understand why the game was so loved, as money was tight and the demo was too lacking to entice a purchase. After launching the rocket and seeing the future potential, I purchased Factorio for myself and convinced a couple close friends, so now we can enjoy the game and all its new updates.

Not everyone is necessarily a parasite looking for a free game, as some do have legitimate reasons but still want to play until they can buy their own copy. If that bothers you, then you can verify user identity and move on. If it bothers you so much that you're frothing at the mouth, then feel free to buy copies for all those who don't have one and you'll probably make some new friends. Forced DRM is never the solution.

Also, RIP GameSpy. Good times.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Well, the demo certainly won't be lacking anymore ! :D

I played the whole old (0.15) tutorial + campaign in one setting using a "cracked" version, then immediately bought the game -
(I just wasn't trusting the demo enough to properly show what the game is about - though in Factorio's case I was mistaken !) -
now that I think of it, doesn't the 0.15 demo actually contains the whole (old) campaign already ? Or is it just the (old) tutorial ?

I'm hoping though that the new demo will have at least *some* MP in it - it's a lot easier to convince a friend to play/buy a game when you can just try the demo together !
(And as you know, MP with friends can often be *much* more enjoyable than SP - Factorio is pretty well suited to it too, as long as you aren't too obsessive about your friends messing up your designs ! :) )

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:16 am
Well, the demo certainly won't be lacking anymore ! :D

I played the whole old (0.15) tutorial + campaign in one setting using a "cracked" version, then immediately bought the game -
(I just wasn't trusting the demo enough to properly show what the game is about - though in Factorio's case I was mistaken !) -
now that I think of it, doesn't the 0.15 demo actually contains the whole (old) campaign already ? Or is it just the (old) tutorial ?

I'm hoping though that the new demo will have at least *some* MP in it - it's a lot easier to convince a friend to play/buy a game when you can just try the demo together !
(And as you know, MP with friends can often be *much* more enjoyable than SP - Factorio is pretty well suited to it too, as long as you aren't too obsessive about your friends messing up your designs ! :) )
No, the old demo was just the tutorial, although that was three scenarios. I think the full game either had another campaign or there were a couple more levels after the third one (to be honest, I played the demo for a while and then went straight into freeplay when I bought the game, so I'm not entirely sure).

I'm pretty sure the campaign is supposed to be multiplayer, I'm not sure about the tutorial, let alone the demo version.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

IIPoliII
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by IIPoliII »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:13 pm
HyperGaming20 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:14 am
They shouldn't be able to crack the game and connect to multiplayer servers via direct IP.

[...]

NO. Fuck DRM.
(Though fuck these people too that have the gall to ask you to support MP/mods for cracked copies !)

MP for my favorite game pretty much died when the company that hosted the matchmaking servers was bought out and then decided to shut them down (Gamespy).
And it didn't even have any DRM check like that either, so Direct Connect was still possible !
(Only checking if multiple people weren't using the same CD-key in the same game.)

I'd very much hate to see that happen to Factorio too
(yeah, it's safer because the matchmaking server is in Wube's hands, but Wube isn't eternal either...).

This "Verify user identity" checkbox seems to be the best compromise.
DRM is a good idea it helps game to be known. I don't like your way to think that's all.
If factorio removes DRM it will get killed.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

What are you talking about?
Factorio doesn't have DRM in the first place, except for the official mod portal, and this optional "Verify user identity" MP checkbox...
(EDIT : Also the auto-updater.)

And how would DRM help a game to get known??
Last edited by BlueTemplar on Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

IIPoliII wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:32 pm
DRM is a good idea it helps game to be known. If factorio removes DRM it will get killed.
What a dumb post.

DRM will help Factorio be known as a game to avoid, as DRM is hated by everyone. Factorio has also sold millions of copies without DRM (Which helped its sales no doubt), so you should educate yourself before acting like Factorio is on life support.

IIPoliII
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by IIPoliII »

Light wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:19 pm
IIPoliII wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:32 pm
DRM is a good idea it helps game to be known. If factorio removes DRM it will get killed.
What a dumb post.

DRM will help Factorio be known as a game to avoid, as DRM is hated by everyone. Factorio has also sold millions of copies without DRM (Which helped its sales no doubt), so you should educate yourself before acting like Factorio is on life support.

Sources of DRM is hatted? You know the meaning of DRM? Digital Right Management, wouldn't it be good to have DRM? Why not having DRM like other Games? Okay it will get hacked by Razor1911 or idk wich group. But DRM has reason to exsist it have to exsist, it permits to not have a fully stolen game maye no? Like you create a game it's stolen legaly that's awesome right?

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Copyright infringement is not the same thing as stealing.
It's not legal either.

Here's one reason why DRM is bad :
https://www.technologizer.com/2012/01/2 ... re-piracy/

What do you mean by "like other games" ?
The Big List of DRM-Free Games on Steam
https://www.gog.com/about_gog

Why would the devs want it if it gets cracked anyway?

corgski
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by corgski »

At best DRM is a nuisance to legitimate purchasers of the game, at worst it can cause serious problems including draining resources away from processes the user actually needs them for, disabling and sometimes even bricking hardware, and installing rootkits/malware. (Sony's DRM was a good example of the latter two.)

And it will still be cracked in a few weeks at best.

The driving force behind DRM is suits who don't understand the first thing about how computers work, not developers. We would be better without it.

CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by CDarklock »

Light wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:19 pm
DRM will help Factorio be known as a game to avoid, as DRM is hated by everyone.
Actually, people who have digital rights to manage, and make their living by licensing those digital rights? We kind of like DRM.

It is, of course, universally hated by everyone who has been needlessly inconvenienced by it. Like if you want to play multiplayer with your friend, but you can't, because DRM. (And this doesn't always mean someone's stealing, either - sometimes DRM screws up, or the owner of those digital rights is just being a big fat jerk about managing them. Like when you call them and say "your DRM screwed up" but they just automatically go "yeah, right, THIEF." Lookin' at you, uPlay.) But that's honestly a rather small percentage of the world.

Return to “Technical Help”