[MOD 0.13.17+] Rampant

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Crumplecorn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.17+] Rampant - 0.16.41

Post by Crumplecorn »

I started a game the other day with rampant, but the enemies haven't been attacking much at all. This is very early game, only a few hours in. I had default settings throughout, except for turning on all the building safety (railway etc), on a standard deathworld. No other mods.

When rampant updated yesterday, suddenly I got many attacks in quick succession, just after the mod reindexed the chunks. But since then it has calmed down again.

To test it, I disabled the mod and saved my game. Then I tried readding the mod. I watched one nest in particular in the northwest which has a few biters idling around doing nothing. After readding the mod, they still don't attack, unless I enable the extra enemy types in rampant. If I enable extra enemies, even with all the individual enemy types disabled, rampant now immediately starts spawning many new enemies (all neutral spitters), and I get a steady stream of attacks from all directions.

For some reason it is not working with just the vanilla enemies? Or is rampant less 'rampant' with only vanilla enemies? Save is attached.

Edit: I did some testing using both rampant's extra enemies and adding in natural evolution enemies. Over a fixed time period (the completion of the current research), if either rampant's enemies are enabled, or natural evolution enemies is added in, it starts spawning the extra enemies instantly and beings constant attacks. If both sets of enemies are unavailable, it just sits there, not really spawning anything, not attacking at all. Disabling rampant entirely (going vanilla) has the same effect of no spawning/attacking. It's like rampant's AI won't kick in unless there are some kind of extra enemies, but it doesn't matter what enemies they are.
Attachments
Feb2019.zip
(4.98 MiB) Downloaded 99 times

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

Crumplecorn wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:32 pm
I started a game the other day with rampant, but the enemies haven't been attacking much at all. This is very early game, only a few hours in. I had default settings throughout, except for turning on all the building safety (railway etc), on a standard deathworld. No other mods.

When rampant updated yesterday, suddenly I got many attacks in quick succession, just after the mod reindexed the chunks. But since then it has calmed down again.

To test it, I disabled the mod and saved my game. Then I tried readding the mod. I watched one nest in particular in the northwest which has a few biters idling around doing nothing. After readding the mod, they still don't attack, unless I enable the extra enemy types in rampant. If I enable extra enemies, even with all the individual enemy types disabled, rampant now immediately starts spawning many new enemies (all neutral spitters), and I get a steady stream of attacks from all directions.

For some reason it is not working with just the vanilla enemies? Or is rampant less 'rampant' with only vanilla enemies? Save is attached.

Edit: I did some testing using both rampant's extra enemies and adding in natural evolution enemies. Over a fixed time period (the completion of the current research), if either rampant's enemies are enabled, or natural evolution enemies is added in, it starts spawning the extra enemies instantly and beings constant attacks. If both sets of enemies are unavailable, it just sits there, not really spawning anything, not attacking at all. Disabling rampant entirely (going vanilla) has the same effect of no spawning/attacking. It's like rampant's AI won't kick in unless there are some kind of extra enemies, but it doesn't matter what enemies they are.
There should be a patch for this tomorrow

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Not sure if relevant, but IIRC there's also a kind of attack that only happens over 4% evolution...
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

Crumplecorn wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:32 pm
This should be fixed in 0.16.42

Crumplecorn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.17+] Rampant - 0.16.42

Post by Crumplecorn »

Yep, it's working correctly now, thanks! :D

Stakhanov
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Stakhanov »

Rampant still features a curious "quiet" phase in the early game , not sure what's up with that. I tried a world with maxed pollution diffusion setting (desert spawn for maximum pollution coverage) , and after a few small scale attacks the biters went missing for a good 15 minutes.
Then they started attacking all at once from all directions in massive waves , destroying everything and killing everyone , as intended.

Do Rampant nests accumulate more pollution than in vanilla before attacking ? This behavior is puzzling.

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

Stakhanov wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:46 pm
Rampant still features a curious "quiet" phase in the early game , not sure what's up with that. I tried a world with maxed pollution diffusion setting (desert spawn for maximum pollution coverage) , and after a few small scale attacks the biters went missing for a good 15 minutes.
Then they started attacking all at once from all directions in massive waves , destroying everything and killing everyone , as intended.

Do Rampant nests accumulate more pollution than in vanilla before attacking ? This behavior is puzzling.

The ai modes by default are:
Peaceful
Aggressive
Raiding
Migrating
Siege
Onslaught

The ai modes have two controlling variables that help select the current ai mode.

They are temperament and state.

Temperament is the threshold [0,1) of the biters being aggressive and changes currently every 25 to 32 minutes.

The state is then calculated from the current evolution using
random[0,1) * Max(1 - evolution_factor, 0.15) // max state value @ 100% evo is 0.15

If the state is greater than temperament then the biters go into the peaceful state.

Otherwise the state is rerolled[0,1) and the modes are as follows:
70% aggressive
5% migration
5% siege
5% onslaught
15% raid (if evo < 4% then this is aggressive instead)

The state changes every 7 to 17 minutes.

So if you end up with some low temperament rolls in the beginning you could have peace for a good chunk of time.

In the last update, I had made some changes to account for nests removing pollution from tiles before rampant would detect it on nests.

So now there is a saturation counter on nests that if Rampant detects a nest with pollution it will persist longer then hoping the chunk has pollution on it when doing attack wave formations.

They seemed to have fixed the pollution issues in the last FFF.

Stakhanov
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Stakhanov »

Oh , so the quiet times are intended then. This reminds me of the Left4Dead AI director's pacing formula , alternating quiet and horde attacks. You could tell when things were "too quiet" for a while , building tension.

This experiment was on a maxed evolution sliders deathworld so , biter behavior probably jumped straight from peaceful to onslaught.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.17+] Rampant - 0.17.1

Post by Light »

Latest update

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.17+] Rampant - 0.17.1

Post by Veden »

Light wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:21 am
Latest update

Should be fixed in the latest

wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.17+] Rampant - 0.17.2

Post by wvlad »

I'm trying to use the "new enemies" feature in the 0.17 but I see only larva biters added.

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.17+] Rampant - 0.17.2

Post by Veden »

wvlad wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:32 pm
I'm trying to use the "new enemies" feature in the 0.17 but I see only larva biters added.
If you are seeing larva biters then you should be good to go. Not all the new enemies appear together or during the same time.
As you explore or as evolution grows they will mutate and you will discover the different factions.

Seleck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.17+] Rampant - 0.17.3

Post by Seleck »

Well my game was lacking in enemies, they didnt bother me at all so i installed this to spice things up and my base was swarm with enemies from all around :D i wasnt ready lol

Do you have screenshots of the enemies added?

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.17+] Rampant - 0.17.5

Post by Light »

I started my 0.17 map after the long wait and noticed something odd. I was pretty sure this mod functioned well with Pitch Black in the past, but I learned that biter nest expansion doesn't function when Rampant AI is enabled.

With that option unchecked, does that now mean the rest of the checked items are completely disabled as well? I would assume so, but I'm hoping it won't as it would defeat the major purpose of this mod.

Clarification of how much of an impact that toggle has or mod support (if possible) would be appreciated.

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

Light wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:20 am
I started my 0.17 map after the long wait and noticed something odd. I was pretty sure this mod functioned well with Pitch Black in the past, but I learned that biter nest expansion doesn't function when Rampant AI is enabled.

With that option unchecked, does that now mean the rest of the checked items are completely disabled as well? I would assume so, but I'm hoping it won't as it would defeat the major purpose of this mod.

Clarification of how much of an impact that toggle has or mod support (if possible) would be appreciated.
That should just cause the vanilla ai to run along side. Later today should be a patch to help with the expansion issues

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Veden wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:05 pm
That should just cause the vanilla ai to run along side.
Oh, that's great news.

I was concerned the pheromones stopped working and biters would ignore everything around them.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.17+] Rampant - 0.17.7

Post by TheSAguy »

Came across a lot of worms in my latest game:

Attachments
1.zip
Save
(5.99 MiB) Downloaded 97 times

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

TheSAguy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:01 pm

Was this a game started before Rampant 0.17.7?

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Veden wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:34 am
TheSAguy wrote:

Yes, it's about a week old, so I think there was a Rampant update or two.

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

TheSAguy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:57 am
Veden wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:34 am
TheSAguy wrote:

Yes, it's about a week old, so I think there was a Rampant update or two.
I believe 0.17.6 fixed that issue, so once you expand past your chunks that have been generated you should have the normal behavior. Otherwise I would say just restart.

Return to “Mods”