Hotbar Quickcrafting

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

KwegiboHB
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Queue production on hotkey press if none in inventory.

Post by KwegiboHB »

TL;DR
If I have copper wire on a hotkey and I'm out of them, I'd like hitting the hotkey to make one.

What ?
Currently nothing happens if you hit the hotkey with none in inventory, at all. Seems it would be a bit more intuitive to have it make one when you hit the key.
Why ?
It's simple and straightforward.

NiceAwesumDude
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Hotbar Quickcrafting

Post by NiceAwesumDude »

With the new addition of being able to assign an item to a hotbar slot regardless of if you have some of that item or not, wouldn't it be convenient if you could quick-craft or quick queue-to-craft the items you have selected there? Maybe you hover over the item on your hotbar with the mouse and then hit an assigned key to queue crafting of that item.

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Hotbar Quickcrafting

Post by <NO_NAME> »

10/10 - would use constantly.
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged two topics with same suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

MiniHerc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Queue production on hotkey press if none in inventory.

Post by MiniHerc »

KwegiboHB wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:24 am
Currently nothing happens if you hit the hotkey with none in inventory, at all.
The reason for that is because this ghost item option is disabled by default. It is an interesting idea, and perhaps a hotkey combination would be nice.

striepan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by striepan »

Where do I sign the petition?

I have already asked about this in the relevant FFF thread.

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

Just to get it straight.
I don't vote to remove the option to have ghost hand. It's really neat to have that.
I would like to have an option to craft items from hotbar in addition to ghost hand. E.g. Shift-click to craft an item.

CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Queue production on hotkey press if none in inventory.

Post by CDarklock »

KwegiboHB wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:24 am
If I have copper wire on a hotkey and I'm out of them, I'd like hitting the hotkey to make one.
Argument against:

1. When going for the "Lazy Bastard" achievement, accidentally crafting an item you didn't want to is VERY VERY BAD.

2. Selecting an item in the hotbar to place ghosts has already been mentioned.

3. Surely some people like it exactly the way it is.

Like let's say you've furnaces in the hotbar, you currently have two in your inventory.

Selecting your furnace item just selects furnaces. You start placing them, and place four. The first two are placed; the last two are either not placed, or you place ghosts. You need to craft two furnaces. The furnace item is already selected.

How do you craft two more furnaces?

Option A. Open your inventory and craft two furnaces. This is the current behaviour.

Option B. Select the toolbar item again to craft one furnace, place it, then select it a third time to craft another. This is the requested behaviour.

Option C. Use a modifier key to craft two furnaces from the hotbar, e.g. Control-click. This should probably be something you can disable, likely near the ghost placement option.

While I agree option A is suboptimal, option B does not seem much better. Option C looks to be a better choice, but also opens a can of worms around the "craft from hotbar" key. We would want this to work a lot like the existing crafting button, where we have construct 1 (left click), construct 5 (right click), and construct all (shift-click). Also there is no direct feedback on how many you can craft.

Holding control might be a good time for the hotbar to switch from "how many do I have" to "how many can I make," or - alternately - we could MOVE the latter number to the upper right corner of the icon when you're out. So when you have 2 furnaces, the icon is normal and says 2 in the lower right. When you run out, the icon dims and displays however many you can craft in the upper right.

I actually like this second option a lot; you place your last whatever, and the count moves on the toolbar so you know you just ran out. You can continue to place ghosts, or you can open the crafting screen to make more, or you can use whatever's been mapped to "construct from hotbar."

I like mapping something to it. By default nothing is mapped to it, and you get the current behaviour. If you want it, you can map it, and it can be whatever you like. Or we could simply default map it to control-LMB, control-RMB, shift-LMB by default for 1/5/all respectively. If you don't like it, you can unmap it.

Just thinking out loud, but I think that addresses all the initial objections I had.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

It's mapped to Alt+1/2/3 for 1/5/10 items in Hotcraft. And Q when hovering over an entity.

HotCraft (and HandyHands) are awesome, but perhaps a bit too much.
Remember that Factorio is a game about automation, you're supposed to have those items built for you by your factory... especially now, when the ingredient limit has been removed on machines !
(See also the Lazy Bastard achievement.)

Or even planning and handcrafting items in advance should be rewarded too.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:45 am
It's mapped to Alt+1/2/3 for 1/5/10 items in Hotcraft. And Q when hovering over an entity.

HotCraft (and HandyHands) are awesome, but perhaps a bit too much.
Remember that Factorio is a game about automation, you're supposed to have those items built for you by your factory... especially now, when the ingredient limit has been removed on machines !
(See also the Lazy Bastard achievement.)

Or even planning and handcrafting items in advance should be rewarded too.
Situation from yesterday. I'm placing some rails and it turns out that I will require 3 more power poles and 5 more signals to finish it. You cannot plan for such situations. Going back all the way to the factory to pick a few items it not an option either (unless you're really trying to get "Lazy bastard").
This feature is for that kind of situations and they happen all the time, especially in early-game when you don't have robots yet.

CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by CDarklock »

<NO_NAME> wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:44 pm
Situation from yesterday. I'm placing some rails and it turns out that I will require 3 more power poles and 5 more signals to finish it. You cannot plan for such situations.
I beg to differ, planning for such situations is not only possible, it is the answer to your problem.

Why didn't you know exactly how many power poles and rails you needed before you started work?

Do you think that is how real engineers build things? "Oh, we need another power line here, let me just get one out of the truck?"

Hotbar crafting is still a good idea, IMO, but there's definitely an argument to be made that opening the inventory screen isn't exactly a big deal. ;)

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Whoops, ninjaed :P
<NO_NAME> wrote:
Situation from yesterday. I'm placing some rails and it turns out that I will require 3 more power poles and 5 more signals to finish it. You cannot plan for such situations.
Don't you think that "cannot" is a bit too strong as a statement?
(Should be in the base game IMHO.)
Going back all the way to the factory to pick a few items it not an option either (unless you're really trying to get "Lazy bastard").
Well, you'll just have to type "E", navigate to the right tab*, and right click twice...

*Hmm, looks like that there isn't a keyboard shortcut for switching tabs? Ideally, all the GUIs should be completely keyboard-navigable... (including selecting recipe to craft in that tab).

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:38 pm
<NO_NAME> wrote:
Don't you think that "cannot" is a bit too strong as a statement?
(Should be in the base game IMHO.)
Try to use this measuring tape of yours on my rails going in zigzags between cliffs :D
BlueTemplar wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:38 pm
Going back all the way to the factory to pick a few items it not an option either (unless you're really trying to get "Lazy bastard").
Well, you'll just have to type "E", navigate to the right tab*, and right click twice...
Well, that's what I'm doing but it is starting to get irritating at 100th time you doing it.
This isn't such a big deal; I think I would actually be able to ignore it if I didn't know how easy it could be improved.
Alas, I know and every time I'm opening the crafting menu I'm thinking this one thing: "Man, this would be so nice if you could just click this damn quickbar".
Last edited by <NO_NAME> on Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Yeah, I think that I'd be fine (even glad) if Hotcraft made it in vanilla.
(Just trying to consider all the aspects here...)

(HandyHands would be probably too much... unless handcrafting times were drastically rebalanced !)

saors
Inserter
Inserter

Post by saors »

This would be great, but would definitely need to be a hotkey, e.g. alt-left click to make one, alt-right click to make 5.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

+1
Modifier + key

98coolmen
Inserter
Inserter

Click crafting out of the Hotbar

Post by 98coolmen »

My Idea is it that you could craft directly out of the new Hotbar. So you dont have to go into the inventory to craft.

Nufik
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Better hotbar

Post by Nufik »

I would like to have function to craft item if you dont have that item by using only hotbar.
And it will be good if Factorio has got a function to set your main or lock a hotbar to other saves/worlds.

Rhuoot
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17] Craft from Hotbar

Post by Rhuoot »

One of the things that the new hotbar seemingly would allow, but does not, would be the ability to initiate crafting from a hotbar icon itself, rather than needing to return to the inventory. It would be wonderful if an option was added (perhaps through a modifier key) to allow left and right mouse button clicks to begin the crafting process.

Thanks for listening.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged serveral topics that suggested basically the same thing.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”