[0.17.2] Cant delete items in map editor

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
slaphappypap
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.2] Cant delete items in map editor

Post by slaphappypap »

When i am attempting to use the map editor, i am finding that my "player/editor" inventory continually fills up with the random stuff that am placing both onto the ground and into chests. When i was using the old map editor, there was an actual delete-item hotkey. It seems that this hotkey no longer exists, ive searched everywhere to try and find the delete key. I havent started a scenario with an edited map yet that has items in the "player/editor" inventory, so im not sure if they persist into a normal game or are only there associated with the editor inventory.

When i have the "none" tool or the "time" tools selected in the top left of the screen, right-clicking on items puts that item directly back into the player/editor inventory.

The only single way i have found that can actually delete the items is that i have to have the "entities" tool selected, then i have transfer everything i wish to be deleted into a chest that is placed on the ground, then finally if i right-click while in the "entities" tool it will actually delete these items.

Is it intended to not have a dedicated delete function in the editor?? Right now, we have inconsistencies in regard to what right-clicking does depending upon which tool is selected. For the time tool and the none tool, there is a player/editor inventory available and so items dont get deleted when right clicking; but the entities tool does not have an inventory associated with it, therefore right-clicking deletes wtvr is right-clicked.

I think a dedicated "delete" hotkey that works in all three of those modes would be much more intuitive to anyone trying to use the map editor and wishing to delete items from the ground. It will also save users from having to first select the entities tool before being able to remove an entity from their map.

Slackie
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.17.2] Cant delete items in map editor

Post by Slackie »

I am also unable to delete items in the map editor. We used to be able to use X to delete items in 0.16, this doesn't seem to work in 0.17.2.

Slackie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Slackie »

I asked Rseding91 about this. He said that the map editor wasn't really made to work with items like this, but explained a work around.

With "Tools > None" selected, create a chest in your inventory and place it on the ground.
Place all the items you wish to delete in the chest.
Select "Tools > Entities" and then right-click the chest on the ground to delete it.

This will delete the chest and all the items it contains.

Also, upon reading closer it seems like the OP explained this, but I didn't read that far initially. :)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I've added a shortcut to delete the item under the cursor for the next version of 0.17.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

guegehri
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by guegehri »

"We used to be able to use X to delete items in 0.16, this doesn't seem to work in 0.17.2."

Thx for adding a shortcut in 17.9.
But this shortcut only works for items in the inventory, I want to remove misplaced items or trees on the map.

We could do this before 17.0.
So this functionality has been removed and there is no way now to edit items on the map in the map editor?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

You just right click to remove.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”