Car aligns to cardinal directions

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Car aligns to cardinal directions

Post by bobucles »

Don't get me wrong. If you could rotate the car using (R), it'd be pretty handy for plopping long stretches of pipes or train tracks or stuff like that. I mean it's already kinda half in the game.

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Cardinal/InterCardinal driving accuracy mode on 0.17 shortcut bar.

Post by irbork »

After switching this driving mode the car/tank would turn to next defined direction, obeying turn radius and speed, after a single press of A or D.
It would make driving in multiplayer much easier and more enjoyable, as well as allow efficient construction of belts, roads, etc.
In my opinion the best is to define all horizontal, vertical, and 45 degrees diagonal directions.

MiniHerc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Cardinal/InterCardinal driving accuracy mode on 0.17 shortcut bar.

Post by MiniHerc »

irbork wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:06 am
After switching this driving mode the car/tank would turn to next defined direction, obeying turn radius and speed, after a single press of A or D.
It would make driving in multiplayer much easier and more enjoyable, as well as allow efficient construction of belts, roads, etc.
In my opinion the best is to define all horizontal, vertical, and 45 degrees diagonal directions.
+1. There's a mod that does this, VehicleSnap, and it has increments of 22.5 degrees. 45 degrees would not allow as fine of control and would be less useful.

In summary: Agreed, if it was in 22.5 degree increments. Example image from the mod below:

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by irbork »

Ambaire wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:21 am
irbork wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:06 am
+1. There's a mod that does this, VehicleSnap, and it has increments of 22.5 degrees. 45 degrees would not allow as fine of control and would be less useful.

In summary: Agreed, if it was in 22.5 degree increments. Example image from the mod below:
In theory there could be a setting, just below train wagon visualization, that can adjust noumber of defined directions: 4,8,12,16,20,...32?
Allowing players to optimize it to their needs.

CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by CDarklock »

Why not just give cars and tanks the WASD controls? Problem solved ;)

MiniHerc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MiniHerc »

CDarklock wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:44 pm
Um. They already control with WASD by default? And if you're suggesting they move like the player... then you wouldn't be able to reverse anymore. Or do precision maneuvering.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Ambaire wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:59 pm
CDarklock wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:44 pm
Um. They already control with WASD by default? And if you're suggesting they move like the player... then you wouldn't be able to reverse anymore. Or do precision maneuvering.
Sure you could. And what precise maneuvering? I mean, 8 directions should be enough. Any more and WASD couldn't really handle it anyway. What kind of demolition derby are you running anyway?

If you are facing north, and hit the South key, it would drive in reverse.
If you are facing at least northwest or northeast and hit the south key, it would finish the turn as tightly as possible until it faced south.
Pretty simple and straightforward.

Only other thing is to have you either slide or shallowly turn to always line up with the grid map, on half tiles.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by CDarklock »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:03 pm
Sure you could. And what precise maneuvering? I mean, 8 directions should be enough. Any more and WASD couldn't really handle it anyway. What kind of demolition derby are you running anyway?
Racing game controls! Left mouse accelerate, right mouse brake, cursor to steer. And manual transmission! QWEASD shifting!

"But how do I interact with my factory?!"

Get out of the car, stupid. What do you expect, drive-thru engineering?

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Why not use the (R)otate button to align the car? You can already spin a vehicle before placing it. How hard can it be to spin a car when you're inside?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic with same suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

Ambaire wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:21 am
VehicleSnap, and it has increments of 22.5 degrees. 45 degrees would not allow as fine of control and would be less useful.
Just a note, the 22.5 degrees is only the default setting. The way i use the mod is actually with 45 degree setting (you can change that per player in mod settings, even different setting for everyone on multiplayer server). Then Shift-V to turn it off when i need to free driving controls. In combat it's usually easier without snap. That keybind is configurable too in the controls menu.

As for vanilla integration, currently there is no snap... consider it 0.00001 degree "snap" then. First i expected it would move where sprite is pointing but it didn't do it. With different graphics settings that too is a bit of a weird solution, but better than nothing if at least going with highest quality sprite amount.

Cribbit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cribbit »

ssilk wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:09 pm
Yeah. As long as it takes, use this mod: Better vehicle control forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=8976

(Which reminds me to go through all 0.11 mods, that are meanwhile converted :) )
Bumping this rather than suggesting again.

Would love to see something like this in base game, even if it's as simple as "hold shift to lock car to cardinal/45 degree angle increments of steering".

freeafrica
Inserter
Inserter

Post by freeafrica »

Cribbit wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:18 am
ssilk wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:09 pm
Yeah. As long as it takes, use this mod: Better vehicle control forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=8976

(Which reminds me to go through all 0.11 mods, that are meanwhile converted :) )
Bumping this rather than suggesting again.

Would love to see something like this in base game, even if it's as simple as "hold shift to lock car to cardinal/45 degree angle increments of steering".
+1, I think this would be a nice way to solve incremental steering. Just holding down a modifier key when I'm driving to turn incrementally feels okay. Any insight of this getting into the game?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”