[0.17.2] Researches sometimes do and sometimes don't remain in list of technologies after selecting them

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
TheBearKing
Inserter
Inserter

[0.17.2] Researches sometimes do and sometimes don't remain in list of technologies after selecting them

Post by TheBearKing »

When selecting researches to research, or to put in the research queue, sometimes they remain in the list of technologies and sometimes they don't. For example when I select "Stronger explosives 1" it is removed from the list of technologies, however when I select "Portable solar panel" it remains in the list of technologies, see screenshot below. There are more examples like, "Character logistic slots 2" is removed after selecting, but "Cliff explosives" is not.

What decides when a research remains in the list and when not. I would prefer that all technologies are removed from the list when selected. If there is a reason to keep them in the list, is it possible to mark that those technologies are currently being researched or in the queue? When I am queueing technologies now, I am only looking at the list of technologies, and then it is easy to forget which technologies I have already queued and which ones I didn't.

20190228131741_1.jpg
20190228131741_1.jpg (513.48 KiB) Viewed 3048 times

tehfreek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.2] Researches sometimes do and sometimes don't remain in list of technologies after selecting them

Post by tehfreek »

"Stronger explosives 1" and "Character logistic slots 2" are superseded by higher-tier technologies ("Stronger explosives 2" and "Character logistic slots 3" respectively), but the other technologies in your description are not. This is similar to how technologies were handled in 0.16 excepting the queue.

TheBearKing
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.17.2] Researches sometimes do and sometimes don't remain in list of technologies after selecting them

Post by TheBearKing »

I see, so a further test indeed shows that every research with a tier associated to it, e.g. "Mining productivity", "Lab research speed", "Projectile damage", will disappear from the list of technologies once selected for research or the queue.

Still this seems like a random choice. What is the benefit that those researches disappear from the list after selection, and other researches don't. Although these researches only have one research line (incrementing the number), there are other techs that also have 1 child in the research tree.

Intuitively I would argue that all techs should exhibit same behavior when they are selected in the research window. However perhaps I am missing something here. I am very curious to the devs line of thought on the matter.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

I would prefer that all technologies are removed from the list when selected.
Still this seems like a random choice. What is the benefit that those researches disappear from the list after selection, and other researches don't.

I totally agree with TheBearKing. It can be really confusing if you want to research something and you can't, because you realise: it's already in your research queue.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Okay, in 0.17.9, these technologies will stay in the list of technologies until they are actually researched.

TheBearKing
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TheBearKing »

Thanks for the reply, does this mean that any technology that is currently queued will be checkmarked (or marked in some other way to make it clear that you have already selected/queued that research) in the list of technologies?

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

Oxyd wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:41 pm
Okay, in 0.17.9, these technologies will stay in the list of technologies until they are actually researched.
thanks for making the behavior consistent on all technologies.

(writing this while updating from .8 to .14 and only just reading the changelog of .9)
but i have to agree with TheBearKing that the technologies that are already selected and queued should be marked somehow.
earlier they (or some of them) were removed from the selectable techs, but now they should get some marking, maybe a small checkmark, or even yet another color of the background (maybe grey) to easily see which ones are or aren't queued yet and thus which ones are no longer available to be selected.

ps on another related topic: it would be nice if i could change the order of queued techs, eg by simply dragging a tech to the left or right, which of course is (hopefully not too much) more complicated since other techs that depend on them or on which they depend would also have to be shifted with them. Best of all would be if i even would be able to select red techs and all their dependencies would automatically be queued in front of them in the queue :-)

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”