[0.17.0] Campaign 1 Observations

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.0] Campaign 1 Observations

Post by CDarklock »

Dune wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:49 pm
Without some kind of endless tech, the 6 ppm science requirement might not be doable if the science had been finished before reaching the 6 ppm.
You don't have to put the science packs in a lab; I reached that requirement sticking them in a chest. It's actually easier, because you only need one assembler running at capacity. When it's inserting into a lab, it only ever got up to 3 with one assembler, and even with two they probably need to be inserting to different labs.

Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dune »

CDarklock wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:39 pm
Dune wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:49 pm
Without some kind of endless tech, the 6 ppm science requirement might not be doable if the science had been finished before reaching the 6 ppm.
You don't have to put the science packs in a lab; I reached that requirement sticking them in a chest. It's actually easier, because you only need one assembler running at capacity. When it's inserting into a lab, it only ever got up to 3 with one assembler, and even with two they probably need to be inserting to different labs.
Yeah, I thought of that after I posted it, though it might not be as intuitive for a new player. Also, having endless tech would have the downside of consuming valuable materials you need to defend the base.

CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by CDarklock »

Dune wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:16 pm
Yeah, I thought of that after I posted it, though it might not be as intuitive for a new player.
Well, clearly, it's not even intuitive for an experienced player. ;)

JareX
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JareX »

I agree with the OP suggestions.

Although I'm an experienced player, I find the tutorial confusing and hard. I also made a friend that has neved played factorio play the campaing without helping him and it was a disaster.

I think there should be an even more basic tutorial prior to the first one, explaining more basic concepts.

Should I post my suggestion here or start a new thread?

robeja
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by robeja »

Hi, I finished the campaign yesterday, and here are my thoughts (as I continue my last post)

11 - Rebuild the factory

- I've put items in the toolbelt, but I don't know how to remove them. Finally tried middle mouse and it worked, but some hint would be nice.
Or maybe it is already said and I missed it

12 - Prepare for more attacks/see what Compilatron wants

- Had trouble locating Compilatron. It's a good time to hint the player again to use the map and the zoom. However, is also good to let him discover by himself. Don't know
- I love the zooming/moving effect in cinematics.

12 - Survive the final waves

- I like the way you explain the repair pack mechanics, and also the hint about loading turrets automatically.

- Had a tough time beating this one. Supposed to be beginner's level, and I tried to calculate accordingly, but soon biters overrun me and I had to load a previous save. Didn't expect that much level of aggression. After that I had to increase production quite a lot and use some skills that a new player does not know yet.

It was a challenge, it was fun, but for a newcomer, he will have to reload many times. Some hint like 'build at least 8 turrets on each side' would be fine, because the new players will think that 1 or 2 turrets would suffice but no no no.

- Anyway I loved the challenge, and don't want it nerfed, so high skilled players can have fun too.
Personally, I'd hate to see this "dumbed down," for new players. It's a fun challenge. I suggest it be saved as a hard-mode version.
Totally agree. Maybe a high difficulty mode, as Dune said before, would be nice.

- There is not much sense with biters popping out from nowhere. Make them spawn in the nest area, and go all the way to the player.
This applies also to the east part of the map, they spawn on the edge, why there??

- Also some biters swarming the map would be nice, too. This way you feel more 'under pressure'.

---

Overall, I think there are too many concepts for a new player, and you should use Compilatron to build more things for him, or to give more indications to build things. (i.e: steam engines)
Not all the people is willing to search over the internet, read all the tooltips, or spend 10 minutes trying to figure things out (only us engineers do that xD)

Also the difficulty is very hard for a new player. In free map you never have to care about biters until mid-game, and here, you only have simple tools, simple ammo, to defend a base against incoming never-ending enemy waves. (Finish this and DeathWorld will be a walk in the park xD)

Anyway, great work.
I will play it again when we get a newer version, of course.

CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by CDarklock »

Here's a thought.

Why not have Compilatron offer two different options for where to move? One has more resources, but is also in more danger from alien attack, so you'll have to direct more resources to base defence. The other is less resource-rich, but a more secure location, so you'll have less time pressure and an easier defence task.

Then you'll not only give the player a choice, you'll get some direct feedback from people playing the tutorial as to which location they really prefer. Sure, we may say we like the heavy attack waves... but will we choose them, if we have an alternative?

robeja
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by robeja »

Got 2 more issues. Maybe someone told already

- If you 'CNTRL+LeftClick' on the feeder with an item, it says 'unknown key: gui not operable'
I'm sure it's a temporary issue related to new version, but anyway I say it.

- I'm playing on a laptop, and the top right box is not aligned with the screen, and it gets cut.

Posting an image of both issues.

Attachments
Sint.png
Sint.png (1.63 MiB) Viewed 1603 times

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”