[0.17.4] [MacOS] Delays in control

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
fochristo
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.17][Mac] Delays in control

Post by fochristo »

Sorryy but I didn't have a Mac. Maybe my post IS not directly related to this topic since you all seems to have a Mac.

idubrov
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by idubrov »

Same thing, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6, very laggy on zoom & sometimes gets laggy at arbitrary moments in time (I cannot pinpoint to any particular activity I'm doing).

Disabling "wait for VSync" seems to improve a lot. Without "wait for VSync" I can zoom in/out in realtime without noticeable lag, with "wait for VSync enabled" it is super-laggy, takes seconds to go from maximum zoom in to zoom out.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

idubrov wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:28 am

Disabling "wait for VSync" seems to improve a lot. Without "wait for VSync" I can zoom in/out in realtime without noticeable lag, with "wait for VSync enabled" it is super-laggy, takes seconds to go from maximum zoom in to zoom out.
Indeed - this mends the problem for now. zoom is now super fast again.

maikonas
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by maikonas »

Also happened to me. It happens in waves - everything is ok for a 5 minutes, and then game starts to lag suddenly, then the lag disappears and the game tries to execute every action it received during the lag - that's why the character keeps running in the same direction. Turning v-sync off has helped to counter the lag, however, it is replaced by v-sync jitter artefacts. And it is the same - everything is ok for 5 minutes and then screen starts to jitter. So turning v-sync off just replaces one annoyance with the another.

The strange thing that it is also happening even in the start screen - sometimes button animations lag behind cursor when hovering.

dwfreed
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dwfreed »

For those with mouse lag issues, what mouse are you all using when it happens? For the laptop users, are you using the laptop touchpad?

On a new map, I can reproduce the mouse position lag (cursor does not line up with GUI selection highlight) issue on my Mac (Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro, 15" with the GeForce GT 750M 2GB), but only with the touchpad. With either of my external mice, a cheap Logitech wireless mouse and a wired Razer Naga 2012, there is no mouse position lag. The lag happens consistently whenever the framerate is below 60 (even if it's hovering around 57.5), or whenever I do something to trigger a framerate drop (like zooming), and persists for a little while after framerates return to 60. It seems like the recovery coincides with flip time from the show-gpu-time-usage dropping down to sub-10ms levels (and my quick test seems to confirm this). I don't have any existing maps to test with to see if it happens elsewhere.

(Also on the same new map) I can only reproduce the keyboard input lag when walking through an ore patch while actively using the touchpad for cursor control, or while the mouse input lag is still catching up. It does not happen if I'm actively using my external mouse to control the cursor after waiting for the input lag to catch up, or if the touchpad hasn't been used for a while (so the input lag has caught up). When going through the ore patch, framerate also drops to 50 or less, so it's likely related to GPU resource exhaustion. This is something I've seen before with OS X: GPU being pushed to its limits results in input lag on keyboard and mouse, so I doubt this is something specific to Factorio's OS X support, just Factorio is a great way to trigger the issue. (You can often see this yourself if a game is running and you switch to a browser or Discord or something; you'll experience loads of input lag that makes doing so really annoying.)

Other relevant info: my Retina display is set to 1920x1200 mode (which, due to the display's use of 144 DPI, is actually 3840x2400, which is also what Factorio reports).
garbanarba wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:04 am
+1
The GUI is extremely small on a Retina display, all the text is unreadable.

The previous version worked perfectly well as it treated the screen as a much smaller setup (1680*1050 on 15.5"), this is system default behavior that's usually respected by other apps. For apps that did not adapt Retina display, the system simply scale up the app window 4 times to make up the pixels.
0.17 seems to have it's own way of deciding display resolution and it's not asking the OS about it.

This actually happens to games a lot but they usually have proportional GUI so it's not a big deal. Factorio seem to have a fixed GUI size so...
Go to Settings (3rd button from the top in main menu, 2nd from the bottom in a game) -> Interface (4th from the top) and make sure your UI scale is set to something greater than 100%. The Automatic option for me results in a 200% scale, which works well on my 15" display. You can use OS X's accessibility zoom to make the interface easier to read while you're fixing the UI scale. (Also this issue is unrelated to this bug report.)

Maciej
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Maciej »

I can confirm that lag is closely related to the touchpad. There is no problem when using the mouse!

billbo99
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by billbo99 »

I am ALSO getting this on my PC, I have a 4k monitor with G-Sync .. when I play on my 1080p monitor response is fine.

maikonas
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by maikonas »

Yes, all I need to do is to move the mouse around with the trackpad on my Mac and the game will start lagging (anywhere, even in the intro screen) No lag when using an external mouse.

External mouse video - everything is fine:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aa0yt57j1i6cb ... e.mov?dl=0

Touchpad: game freezes and then tries to catch up with the mouse cursor

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6oo5qqt2uyqpa ... d.mov?dl=0

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jon8RFC »

What happens if you change the MacOS display settings to not use a scaled resolution and to only use the native resolution? Seems like only a couple of people tried it.

This post, which initially is a bug report, ends up shedding light on the input lag being strongly driver-OS dependent, especially while using scaling:
https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/43137

queenjazz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by queenjazz »

changing the resolution to non-scaled doesn't fix the issue for me

Maciej
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Maciej »

It seems that Factorio doubles the resolution that is set in OSX. I set 1280x720 in OSX and in Factorio I have 2560x1440. Interestingly, the 3200x1800 resolution setting in OSX still doubles the resolution in Factorio and game shows the resolution of 6400x3600, which is nonsense. Only the 5120x2880 resolution setting in the system means that the Factorio has the same resolution and the lag practically does not occur (on trackpad). Only zooming the view is not so smooth.

All this for iMac 5K 27 '' 2017

EDIT:
Lag still exists on trackpad in non-scaled resolution. Less often but still...

zspoelstra
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by zspoelstra »

I had this same issue yesterday when I first launched the game. After I adjusted the interface scaling to (I think) 100% the issue went away completely and has not returned. Of note as well is that the interface was almost unreadable when I first launched the game.

15" 2013 MacBook Pro
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Dahn94
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dahn94 »

I was experiencing the movement lag described in the first page. This applied to both moving the cursor and keyboard events. They would get queued but not take effect until seconds later causing the character to run for a few seconds after releasing a key. FPS/UPS shows steady 60.0/60.0

Turning off Wait for VSync made for dramatic improvement in the responsiveness. Continuing to monitor it for any remaining lag described by other reports.

MacBookPro 15" 2017 with the game running on a connected Thunderbolt display NOT on the built-in retina display

chunibuni
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by chunibuni »

Hi guys, I sent an email to the dev team and Scott responded with the following:

"We will be looking into the issue and releasing a fix as soon as possible"

So they know about the issue now, all will be well (hopefully).

chunibuni
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by chunibuni »

The new version (.17.2) absolutely ruined everything. Now even if you turn off wait for GSync, FPS is now at 30 (from the perfect 60 beforehand). It is so unplayable....

RuzThug
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by RuzThug »

Yep, me too.

Same problems as described.

Fully up-to-date macOS 10.14.3
iMac late 2013
3,5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 Gb 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB
Apple Magic Keyboard via bluetooth
Apple Magic Trackpad 2 via bluetooth

Possible relevant keyboard settings: key repeat: fast, delay until repeat: medium. Keyboard language is set to ABC - Extended.

fochristo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by fochristo »

chunibuni wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:44 am
I would suggest you start sending some private messages to the devs on these forums and contacting them on twitter. They need to prioritize this over anything else as this bug literally removes a whole chunk of their user base (probably 20%) from being able to play the game.
It's an experimental version, "Factorio" is still playable for everyone. It's called "Stable" version 0.16.51 :D
Don't overreact ;)

idubrov
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by idubrov »

fochristo wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:17 pm
It's an experimental version, "Factorio" is still playable for everyone. It's called "Stable" version 0.16.51 :D
Don't overreact ;)
Yeah, the only thing I would like to send them are a bunch of virtual hugs 🤗🤗🤗🤗 These guys are machines.

zlowred
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by zlowred »

One more affected user here (tried 0.17.1, 0.17.2), MacBook Pro 15" 2018, Core i9@2.9GHz, 32Gb RAM, Radeon Pro 560X with 4Gb VRAM
Heavy lag, especially when zooming in/out (if I press some WASD and zoom at the same time, character keep running for good 15 seconds after I stop doing anything). Showing 60/60 FPS/UPS all the time.
Disabling VSync seem to fix the issue (but there is a tearing artefact then).
Using built-in touchpad.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

zlowred wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:15 am
Disabling VSync seem to fix the issue (but there is a tearing artefact then).
Using built-in touchpad.
Also on a MacBook Pro 2017 with newest OS

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”