[0.17.0][keybind] Picking up items from ground doesn't work (F bound to pickup/enter/exit)

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
RenKuro
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17.0][keybind] Picking up items from ground doesn't work (F bound to pickup/enter/exit)

Post by RenKuro »

When F is bound to enter vehicle you lose the ability to pick things up from the ground. Same combination of binds was working fine in 0.16.stable

Edit. As other people noticed it's still up in 0.17.03
Last edited by RenKuro on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickKsh
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.17.0] Picking up items from ground doesn't work

Post by NickKsh »

Same here.
It's not working when key is 'F'

https://i.imgur.com/muU89hZ.gifv
Last edited by NickKsh on Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fochristo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by fochristo »

I think it's like me :

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65138

Did you check if F is affected to another action ?

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

I can confirm this issue when using F for both pickup and enter/exit vehicle.

Changing the item pickup key from F to Space as a [temporary?] workaround was successful.

Ace_W
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ace_W »

can confirm cannot pick items off ground. save and reload does not fix issue.

Edit: can confirm this doesn't work in multiple games. save load. anything to do with the "F" key was cleared and still wouldn't work.
"No! This one goes there! That one goes There! Right?!"

NickKsh
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NickKsh »

Still have this issue in 0.17.2

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

fochristo wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:29 pm
Did you check if F is affected to another action ?
For the record, this is the intention. Using Space for pickup (again, hopefully a temporary solution) does not interfere with auto-fire, but having F do multiple things (pickup + enter/exit) does cause the problem.

And yes, still having the issue in 0.17.2, whereas your issue with the specific layout in your link is supposedly resolved.

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.3] Picking up items from ground doesn't work

Post by Philip017 »

I am having the same issue

viewtopic.php?t=65280

double binding 'keypad enter' (or any other matching keys) to 'pickup item from ground' AND also having it bound to 'enter/exit vehicle' results in not picking up anything from ground. still works for entering and exiting vehicle.
previously this worked fine in v16 and previous.

it looks like any key bind that is duplicated to 'pickup item from ground' - then prevents you from using it to pickup anything from the ground.

EDIT: this is still the case in 17.3

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.0][keybind] Picking up items from ground doesn't work (F bound to pickup/enter/exit)

Post by Philip017 »

note this is still the case for 17.7 released today.
i would like to know if there is any possibility to having this issue addressed, be it considered:
not a bug, pending, minor issue, or we aint gona fix it so deal with it.

thanks.

Edit: Posila posted a note about keybindings issues, however as also noted in the area, other duplicate keybinds are working as intended, however the pickup items keybind is not able to be duplicate bound to any key, and only respects a key that is not also bound to any other function.
imo the switch to scan codes vs key codes is causing a lot of issues that would not have been an issue if remaining on key codes as in previous versions. i dont have any suggestions for a fix, but im sure you guys can find a fix and address this issue if you want to.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.0][keybind] Picking up items from ground doesn't work (F bound to pickup/enter/exit)

Post by Rseding91 »

It's a non-simple issue.

The game has no way to know if conflicting keybinds are ok to "just let happen" or if it should block on the first one triggering some action. Right now it blocks on the first one triggering some action. That means you can't have F bound to enter/exit vehicle and pick up from ground since both of those are "always send action" bits of logic.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

RenKuro
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by RenKuro »

I think that Devs have their hands busy with other more pressing manners bugs on their plates. Since it wasn't moved to not a bug I believe they will fix it soon.

Would it be big loss in performance if you switched over (if possible with current implementation) execution order and made enter/exit non blocking? I suppose it was like that before 0.17

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Nothing changed with enter/exit/pick up items. The keyboard logic changed in general to mark the event as consumed as soon as one of the things bound to that event "uses" it.

When enter/exit vehicle fires it "uses" the input and so pick up items doesn't get to fire.

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

i would think that enter exit would not fire unless you actually entered a vehicle, otherwise it would continue to hold waiting for a vehicle to be close enough to enter. not sure of that makes sense. at any rate thanks for the update, i know you guys are hard at work and i appreciate the feedback. hopefully you can get this matter addressed at some point. thanks again for all your hard work and making this awesome game!

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

I never thought of double-binding "f" for enter/exit as well as pickup.

I would sure love to if this ever works again. Enter/Exit being "enter" has always been a fumbling point for me when using either hand...

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Philip017 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:40 pm
i would think that enter exit would not fire unless you actually entered a vehicle, otherwise it would continue to hold waiting for a vehicle to be close enough to enter. not sure of that makes sense. at any rate thanks for the update, i know you guys are hard at work and i appreciate the feedback. hopefully you can get this matter addressed at some point. thanks again for all your hard work and making this awesome game!
The logic which handles keyboard/mouse actions has no way of knowing if the game is actually going to do what the action wants to do. In multiplayer the action is sent to the game and only processed some time later - so it can't say "I didn't actually enter a vehicle".

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Rseding91 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:00 am
Philip017 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:40 pm
The logic which handles keyboard/mouse actions has no way of knowing if the game is actually going to do what the action wants to do. In multiplayer the action is sent to the game and only processed some time later - so it can't say "I didn't actually enter a vehicle".
Actually I believe, that sometimes we do that. I don't remember exact example now.

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

kovarex wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:12 pm
Actually I believe, that sometimes we do that. I don't remember exact example now.
i can think of an example, you are early game and out of bullets, running as fast as you can for your car holding the enter/exit button to get in as soon as you are in range, come on just a little further, in and zoom, bye biters. :D

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Fixed in Version: 0.17.12.
Thanks.

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

Twinsen wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:07 pm
Fixed in Version: 0.17.12.
Thanks.
Out of curiosity, since I'm the kind of guy who likes to customize controls significantly sometimes, can you provide any more details on how this is handled now? Like what sort of actions I can expect to be able to combine safely?

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

thanks so much, appreciate all the hard work you all do!

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”