[0.17.1] Tutorial issues

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
azizmandar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17.1] Tutorial issues

Post by azizmandar »

I consider myself a resonably proficient Factorio player since about .14

Here are the issues I had with the Tutorial mission.

1. When it has you first set up your own assembly machine: It only gives you enough resources to make 1 machine but you can't make the coper wire or green circuit without a machine. Either have coper wire able to be made in inventory, give enough to make a second assembly machine with some extra directions, or a lot more direction explaining how to change the product (maybe another step to create wire first).

2. At the end of the first section where you abandon the base for the first time: It states (Grab some of your things). It would be nice if this was more clear. Maybe have the bot stay around and talk to you about picking up stuff before it runs off. Also when it runs off it can be hard to see depending on zoom level. I directional off screen marker would be nice. This happened a few times but this was the first time I noticed it.

3. After you make your pistol: The game ranks up fast from here and I think this may need extra bot help or major reduction in dificulty scaling. I'd like to see more steps before the attaks start. For example. Instead of jumping to make so many ammo and circuit a minute. Maybe start with making so many iron and copper per minute (or just give a reasonable amount of miners and furnaces for each and help them set up a basic smelting line. Also give an objective to have so many research labs and red science assemblers before this. I got a hint that I may need more but by the time I noticed that and had the assemblers and labs increased my 8 gun turrets where overrun and I died. Newbies are probably not going to figure out why they are losing the tutorial mission so easily. I was not expecting the continuous spawns to be so much higher than a standard game and was not prepared for it.

4. When it tells you to place your first gun turret: I was getting attacked from the west so I went closer to the old base where the canyon was a little narrower and placed 4 turrents and filled them with ammo and the objective did not update. I was not protected and it took me a while to figure out why my guns were protecting me but I was not able to get the objective. Apparently I was too far out of the detection range for the event. When I built one in my Iron area it updated. Also the auto spawn areas don't have any indicators so it looks like I still had enough room to build my turrets so the bugs would spawn inside my defenses. Can you place some defensive bug basses at these places? It will discurage new players from building to close. Also it would probably be best to have the bot move to an area that would be a good suggesed location and have the objective say "place turret near the bot" or something like that.

5. This may be user error: When I was placing my turret I hit a key that showed the placement grid and the game seemed to "pause" I could open system menues but could not move. I ended up saving and reloading. Still not sure what casued it.

That's what I have for my first crack at it. I'm sure I'll have more by the time I complete the mission.

CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.1] Tutorial issues

Post by CDarklock »

azizmandar wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:26 pm
5. This may be user error: When I was placing my turret I hit a key that showed the placement grid and the game seemed to "pause" I could open system menues but could not move. I ended up saving and reloading. Still not sure what casued it.
Shift-space is the default key for that, and it pauses everything until you turn it off. I don't know why it doesn't just toggle "show grid" on the "always" debug display, which I basically keep on all the time. Also there's no indication of how to turn it off. A button for this on the screen would help a LOT.

SPJCTK
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SPJCTK »

CDarklock wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:32 pm
azizmandar wrote:
Shift-space is the default key for that, and it pauses everything until you turn it off. I don't know why it doesn't just toggle "show grid" on the "always" debug display, which I basically keep on all the time. Also there's no indication of how to turn it off. A button for this on the screen would help a LOT.
Thank you, I did this too at one point. Good to know.

SPJCTK
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SPJCTK »

azizmandar wrote:
I consider myself a resonably proficient Factorio player since about .14

Here are the issues I had with the Tutorial mission.

1. When it has you first set up your own assembly machine: It only gives you enough resources to make 1 machine but you can't make the coper wire or green circuit without a machine. Either have coper wire able to be made in inventory, give enough to make a second assembly machine with some extra directions, or a lot more direction explaining how to change the product (maybe another step to create wire first).

2. At the end of the first section where you abandon the base for the first time: It states (Grab some of your things). It would be nice if this was more clear. Maybe have the bot stay around and talk to you about picking up stuff before it runs off. Also when it runs off it can be hard to see depending on zoom level. I directional off screen marker would be nice. This happened a few times but this was the first time I noticed it.

3. After you make your pistol: The game ranks up fast from here and I think this may need extra bot help or major reduction in dificulty scaling. I'd like to see more steps before the attaks start. For example. Instead of jumping to make so many ammo and circuit a minute. Maybe start with making so many iron and copper per minute (or just give a reasonable amount of miners and furnaces for each and help them set up a basic smelting line. Also give an objective to have so many research labs and red science assemblers before this. I got a hint that I may need more but by the time I noticed that and had the assemblers and labs increased my 8 gun turrets where overrun and I died. Newbies are probably not going to figure out why they are losing the tutorial mission so easily. I was not expecting the continuous spawns to be so much higher than a standard game and was not prepared for it.

4. When it tells you to place your first gun turret: I was getting attacked from the west so I went closer to the old base where the canyon was a little narrower and placed 4 turrents and filled them with ammo and the objective did not update. I was not protected and it took me a while to figure out why my guns were protecting me but I was not able to get the objective. Apparently I was too far out of the detection range for the event. When I built one in my Iron area it updated. Also the auto spawn areas don't have any indicators so it looks like I still had enough room to build my turrets so the bugs would spawn inside my defenses. Can you place some defensive bug basses at these places? It will discurage new players from building to close. Also it would probably be best to have the bot move to an area that would be a good suggesed location and have the objective say "place turret near the bot" or something like that.

That's what I have for my first crack at it. I'm sure I'll have more by the time I complete the mission.

1) I agree with you on the assembly machine had a similar experience. I had to swap back and forth on recipes to get all the products that I needed to complete that particular challenge. I do think this would be difficult for a newbie or without explanation.

2) I do like the directional marker idea, I don't know how hard that would be for them to make. But I very quickly took the hint and grabbed everything I could before moving on.

3) I agree with you I believe things ramp up a lot quicker for a simple tutorial, I also had the same situation happen where I created my turret wall in the narrow part of the canyon that did not trigger the place turret event. After placing a turret near the iron field did the event trigger. But as an experienced player I already had walls being constructed in the stone area that helped my survival into the next phase.

4) As far as the phase where you have a lot of ingredients to achieve by minute. I did find this very difficult but achieve victory through stockpiling supplies and rapidly cramming it into assembly machines at the same time the pass to the final phase.

** - Note - upon completion stated that it created a text file somewhere that I've not been able to locate, to submit to help troubleshoot the scenario? If anyone can help me locate this file I'll gladly turn it in.

azizmandar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by azizmandar »

I could not find the file either. I even searched my whole system for the folder name as well as factorio and could not find it. But I did notice that it made a save for each mission. I wonder if those are the files. It also may be something for the non-steam versions.

tvardero
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by tvardero »

I have made a report document in Word about my experience of new tutorial.
I am so lazy to write a big port on forum, so i made a document. :)

Return to “Technical Help”