Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
TN_Creator
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by TN_Creator »

what I understood is that the depleted fuel inserter will work on power demand (ie accumulators below 5% in my case, or steam condition on a smaller buffer)

new fuel inserter will work on condition that the depleted inserter is holding something, thus working only for the time of one movement, and inserting only one stack.

Edit : they explode only if destroyed at >900°c, they can handle (and stop heating at) 1000°c otherwise.
Last edited by TN_Creator on Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

GrumpyJoe wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:46 am
DaveMcW wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:33 am
The depleted fuel inserter only runs if steam is low.
I dont understand. how would that inserter know anything. it just grabs depleted fuel cells. And the reactor, when filled uncontrolled, will just consume as much as you fill in over time.
Also you talk about steam, which he doesn´t want as a buffer.
Edit: You are right tho, you need to fill it once and then just wait for a used cell to be grabbed to activate the filling

the problem of just feeding one cell every 200 seconds is the overheating when not needed.
I dont quite understand the Wiki here. Will it always explode >900° or only if damaged AND >900°C?
Well you can wire the inserter to a tank of steam, and control the inserter that way. (Enabling the inserter if steam drops below a threshold). I haven't used an accumulator to control the inserter, but it should work. My concern would be that you probably want to add a new fuel cell a little earlier. If your main power source is nuclear, then you probably want to add a fuel cell as soon as the accumulators drop below 90% or so. (You probably also want a lot of accumulators, since they can only provide a limited amount of power for a few seconds at max drain).

TN_Creator
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TN_Creator »

I did try this setup and it works perfectly, thanks for the tip !

It did not work on first try though, because the inserters extracting the used fuel were in "pulse" read mode instead of "hold".

Efficient nuclear power for a long time from now on :D

questeena
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Need help with my maze

Post by questeena »

Hello everyone on the Factorio forums. I've searched high and low and starting to be a bit desperate (as I'm hitting behemoth biters) and would really love your help.

I saw a post by /u/ulyssessword on Reddit about making behemoth-proof mazes, coupled with flamethrower turrets and laser turrets (I'm using gun ones though). Here is a link to his post and his maze. https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... r_defense/

The image:

I've implemented it in my playthrough. He/She mentions that there needs to be a 15 tile wide gap between the flamethrower turrets and the maze wall, which I have done, but somehow I'm getting biters attacking the wall and never entering the maze. Is there something I could do better?

Here is an image of what is happening with my base and my attempt at this maze:

As you can see, some random bits of the walls are being attacked by the biters. After a while, they do require repairs or break down completely. (I've not been successful with making robots....) Do you have any tips or suggestions please? Reaching that 91% evolution soon..

Hope to hear from you, thank you!

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

Maybe try a 2 tile path. I think I remember someone saying bigger biters won't fit through 1 tile gaps, that's why dragon teeth is more resource friendly than solid walls at the same effect.
As they won't fit through, they start chewing on walls. If you only wanna delay them without chewing, that might help

Might be completely wrong tho :roll: and I've never seen a maze in use at all

Also I think you should finally get into bots. Repairing walls shouldn't need a personal intervention at that point.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

You can't block way of biters to thing they want to attack completely.
Original design has turrets accessible for biters - you walled them off completely. This will make biters abort pathing and attack closest thing around.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

why not slow down the biters with a carpet of transport belts?

questeena
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by questeena »

orzelek wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:38 am
You can't block way of biters to thing they want to attack completely.
Original design has turrets accessible for biters - you walled them off completely. This will make biters abort pathing and attack closest thing around.
So remove all the walls? Isn't that rather dangerous though :(
brunzenstein wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:21 am
why not slow down the biters with a carpet of transport belts?
The flamethrower will burn them up.
GrumpyJoe wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:15 am
Maybe try a 2 tile path. I think I remember someone saying bigger biters won't fit through 1 tile gaps, that's why dragon teeth is more resource friendly than solid walls at the same effect.
As they won't fit through, they start chewing on walls. If you only wanna delay them without chewing, that might help

Might be completely wrong tho :roll: and I've never seen a maze in use at all

Also I think you should finally get into bots. Repairing walls shouldn't need a personal intervention at that point.
The spacing isn't an issue. It's the same gap as with dragon's teeth. The biters do enter the maze; it's just not ALL of them, as I had hoped. :(

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

questeena wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:57 am
So remove all the walls? Isn't that rather dangerous though
Orselek means remove (or at least make gaps in) the solid line of walls between the maze and the turrets. That allows the biters to pathfind to the turrets. At the moment there is no route to the turrets through the maze, so why would they all charge the turrets through the maze? (Also your picture shows flamethrower turrets at about a 20 tile spacing, I'm not sure whether that gap is too large).

questeena
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by questeena »

Zavian wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:08 am
questeena wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:57 am
So remove all the walls? Isn't that rather dangerous though
Orselek means remove (or at least make gaps in) the solid line of walls between the maze and the turrets. That allows the biters to pathfind to the turrets. At the moment there is no route to the turrets through the maze, so why would they all charge the turrets through the maze? (Also your picture shows flamethrower turrets at about a 20 tile spacing, I'm not sure whether that gap is too large).
Ahh I see. And omg yes thank you for catching that mistake. I've no idea about that, but I shall change the flamethrower turrets' positions.

Zonk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zonk »

Quick question:

Is there a UPS-up mod or similar avaliable for Version 16.X?
My base got pretty huge everything to reduce savegame sice and increase F/UPS is great

finwe
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by finwe »

How do I clear a field from the new toolbar in 0.17? Tried almost everything, including the deconstruction planner, and am still stuck with three red underground belt items which I cannot get rid of.

Dominik
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Dominik »

finwe wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:43 am
How do I clear a field from the new toolbar in 0.17? Tried almost everything, including the deconstruction planner, and am still stuck with three red underground belt items which I cannot get rid of.
I know middle click works. Dunno if there are other ways.

bnari
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bnari »

[0.17] I don't have any of the new toolbar buttons (blueprint, deconstructor, upgrade planner etc). How do I enable them?
where's me buttons.png
where's me buttons.png (532.91 KiB) Viewed 4580 times

Dominik
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Dominik »

bnari wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:41 am
[0.17] I don't have any of the new toolbar buttons (blueprint, deconstructor, upgrade planner etc). How do I enable them?
where's me buttons.png
They are not available in the tutorial in order to not confuse new players - the game is complicated enough as is.

bnari
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bnari »

Dominik wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:05 am
bnari wrote:
where's me buttons.png
They are not available in the tutorial
This isn't the tutorial!

Update

It's been reported as a bug here, but it's intended behaviour. The buttons aren't available until robots have been researched.

Unfortunately, I've deleted all my old saves :(

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

bnari wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:20 am
Dominik wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:05 am
bnari wrote:
where's me buttons.png
They are not available in the tutorial
This isn't the tutorial!

Update

It's been reported as a bug here, but it's intended behaviour. The buttons aren't available until robots have been researched.

Unfortunately, I've deleted all my old saves :(
You can also use /unlock-shortcut-bar
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

bnari
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bnari »

That's good to know, @Jap2.0, but I don't need it because I found an old, old save :)

Kilitar
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kilitar »

How to make wires (standard electric ones - not green/red) to look pretty?

I want my factory looks nice, but when I place poles - they are connected randomly to electric network with "multiple wires everywhere" - usually in directions I dont want them. And also poles are rotated based on this random wire linking.
I found I can use SHIFT+LMB to cut all electric wires from pole make it standalone unpowered pole. But dunno how to connect it back way I want (only to some of poles in distance).
Question: Is there a way to force game to make connection only between chosen poles without this "random autoconnection" ? Or is there any hidden logic how to build poles connected only where I want them to?

cybersteel8
Inserter
Inserter

Post by cybersteel8 »

Kilitar wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:54 pm
How to make wires (standard electric ones - not green/red) to look pretty?

I want my factory looks nice, but when I place poles - they are connected randomly to electric network with "multiple wires everywhere" - usually in directions I dont want them. And also poles are rotated based on this random wire linking.
I found I can use SHIFT+LMB to cut all electric wires from pole make it standalone unpowered pole. But dunno how to connect it back way I want (only to some of poles in distance).
Question: Is there a way to force game to make connection only between chosen poles without this "random autoconnection" ? Or is there any hidden logic how to build poles connected only where I want them to?
After you SHIFT-LMB to cut all wires, get yourself some copper wire and attach it to your cursor, then LMB on the start pole, LMB on the other pole and they'll connect. That way you can set up the wiring however you see fit!

Return to “Gameplay Help”