ModMyFactory - mod manager and more

Tools for search and installing new mods as well as starting Factorio.
For dedicated server handling see Multiplayer Tools
Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

ModMyFactory 1.9.0 released

Post by Artentus »

• Added proper handling for inverted mod dependencies.
  • Added theme support (light and dark theme available now).
  • Removed autosaves from the save selection when creating a link.
  • Fixed crash when adding Factorio from folder.
  • Fixed an issue that caused some mods to not be shown in the online list.
  • Fixed bug that caused deactivated releases in the online mods window to be selected.
The test code for mod settings from pre1 has been removed and mod settings support has been pushed back to 1.10 for now.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: ModMyFactory - mod manager and more

Post by Artentus »

I'd like to get some feedback on an upcoming feature so it can turn out useful to people.
I am working on making multiple version of the same mod existing simultaneously happen. I received multiple requests for this as it appears to be a common problem that different servers use different versions of the same mod.
However while implementing support itself is easy and already pretty much done I am unsure about how updating mods should be handled from then on. That's why I'm asking you how you guys would expect your mods to be updated once this change goes live. Please consider that some people will not be using this new feature and will probably expect mod updating to work as easily as it has until now.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

Artentus wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:49 am
The crash is caused by mod settings. Extracting a mods settings is not trivial, and I have found some mods format their files very differently than most mods do, which is what is probably causing this issue as well.
btw is this something about the settings file changing from text/json to non-readable? i saw that on some other pages in the past
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

Artentus wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:24 pm
I'd like to get some feedback on an upcoming feature so it can turn out useful to people.
I am working on making multiple version of the same mod existing simultaneously happen. I received multiple requests for this as it appears to be a common problem that different servers use different versions of the same mod.
However while implementing support itself is easy and already pretty much done I am unsure about how updating mods should be handled from then on. That's why I'm asking you how you guys would expect your mods to be updated once this change goes live. Please consider that some people will not be using this new feature and will probably expect mod updating to work as easily as it has until now.
hi, i think a good way to approach this might be as follows:

- to keep each version of a mod, saved locally (archived, and non-changing etc)
- in the case of a filename not being updated, to keep track of that in a text file or manged internally by mmf)
- and to simply have a way of new users to be able to specifically reference / or use an older mod, otherwise it works as currently.

plus an informational popup message, informing users who try to load a game, which specifically was using an older version of a mod that they have, that mmf will download that particular version, but to also give them an option to update (use) the newest version later. (probably best after they run it as the save intended, at least 1 time), but to also allow a reversion (so that if the newest version corrupts something or crashes etc, the player still has their original savegame as a backup.
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

PsyhoBelka
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PsyhoBelka »

how transfer blueprints' books from standalone installed game to that this mod launch? when i start game from original exe-file - i have many blueprints shared in game. but when use this launcher - no one blueprint exists. where they saved and how to transfer they?

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

The blueprint library is saved in a file called 'blueprint-storage.dat'.
That file can either be found in '%appdata%\Factorio' if you used the installer or Steam, or in the games installation directory if you used the manual ZIP package.
The place where ModMyFactory holds it's managed installations depends on your settings. You can access it easily in the 'View' menu.

If you import your existing installation instead of deownloading a new one this data should be transfered automatically.

PsyhoBelka
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PsyhoBelka »

Artentus wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:56 am
If you import your existing installation instead of deownloading a new one this data should be transfered automatically.
i used import, but mb something goes wrong... can you suggest, where this file should be for launcher?

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

You need to place it in the installation directory of your managed installation. Where these are located depends on your settings, you can easily get there with "View -> Open Factorio folder". There you just need to identify the installation you want (if you only have one it's easy as it's just the only subfolder in there) and place the file there.

PsyhoBelka
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PsyhoBelka »

Artentus wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:41 pm
You need to place it in the installation directory of your managed installation. Where these are located depends on your settings, you can easily get there with "View -> Open Factorio folder". There you just need to identify the installation you want (if you only have one it's easy as it's just the only subfolder in there) and place the file there.
thnx!:)

and i found some bug - when i add Factorio from folder - it trying to copying files recursively to temp_folder, mb to infinity)
it happens when i add factorio from same folder, that already added. and while copying button Cancel inactive.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Um, yea well you shouldn't have to add a already added installation.

PsyhoBelka
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PsyhoBelka »

Artentus wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:24 pm
Um, yea well you shouldn't have to add a already added installation.
nope, it happens even if remove version and add them again

*added 11:12*

oh, i understand)) i try add factorio to the same folder from which it copies)

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

if the new installation has no blueprints yet, it should be easy to copy them from an old installation to the new installation (see discussion above).

but if both installations have blueprints, they need to be merged. how is that done ?
I didn't do that yet myself since i like to create new blueprints from time to time anyway because of improved knowlege, changed vanilla properties in new versions of factorio, and most of all because of using different mods that make blueprints either too general (when using only vanilla items in them without mods), or unusable (because of missing items after removing some mod).

anyway, my idea to achieve this would be to have a savegame (can even be a new empty dummy map) in the source installation and copy the blueprints ingame(!) to the map blueprints, then save that map (this should include the blueprints in the savegame!?! if that doesn't work, blueprints could also be stamped down on the new map to later create them anew from those setups). after copying the savegame from the old installation's savegame directory to the new installation's savegame directory (find the savegame directories similar to what is described in the discussion above for the blueprint datafile) the map should be available in the new installation and the old blueprints can be accessed and/or moved from map blueprints to global blueprint storage (or created anew from those stamped down blueprints). this might look to be a bit more complicated than merging/editing blueprint library datafiles directly, but should avoid any problems with broken files, checksums, etc, and at the same time allow you (or rather force you) to clean up the blueprint library (which blueprints are really needed and useful).

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Ideally MMF would merge the files directly and only keep exactly one blueprint storage file for all installations. However I am not sure if that is at all possible since the file is probably serialized directly out of the game. I currently do not have the ability to work on such things (or a whole lot at all really).

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

there is probably not much use in programming something for blueprints now since 0.17 will completely reorganize and change blueprints and their libraries (as was said in several FFFs).

also, having all blueprints of all installations in one single big library would be insane in many cases because one reason for having several installations is to keep different modsets/savefiles/etc apart from each other and many/most blueprints won't work in different installations with different mods or settings. and the second library of blueprints is tied to specific maps and thus can't easily be extracted or merged between installations (not even between different maps of the same installation).

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Just a little heads up, according to the latest FFF news it is possible that I will not be back home before 0.17 goes public.
In case this does happen I want to inform you that the current version of ModMyFactory will most likely not work correctly with 0.17, it may even be completely non-functional, I don't know at this point.
Therefore until I have assesed the situation Factorio 0.17 is not officially supported.

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

Artentus wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:39 pm
according to the latest FFF news it is possible that I will not be back home before 0.17 goes public.
you are going on spring break holidays ? :-) have a nice time !
Artentus wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:39 pm
Therefore until I have assesed the situation Factorio 0.17 is not officially supported.
when 0.17 is released, I'll surely do at least one or a few vanilla games anyway, testing everything that has changed and is new. it's also a great opportunity to clean up my blueprints and create a new set of them. and all of this can keep me busy for the transition period until 0.17 becomes reasonably "stable" and most of the many(!) mods that i usually use are updated so that i need MMF again to start playing modded 0.17.
but until then i can play either moddd 0.16 or vanilla 0.17 without problems ...

anyway, I'm glad to hear that you sometime want to provide us with a MMF version that works with 0.17.
still enjoying all the work you did until now, and CU in 0.17

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Small update, I've been back for a few days and have been hard at work for MMF 1.10 before Factorio 0.17 releases.
Currently the biggest feature you can look forward to is support for multiple versions of the same mod, alongside this the whole updating process has been reworked as well. I've done this because Factorio 0.17 is supposedly bringing this feature to the game itself and I want to keep parity between the game and MMF.

Since this change will affect basically the entire application this version will need more testing than usual. If you want to help me make MMF the best it can be you can become a tester by private messaging me. Testers will receive non-public dev builds of MMF as well as a mention in the About section in turn for providing me with bug reports. This is also a chance to influence the development process more directly.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

0.17 update

Post by Artentus »

Alright so since 0.17 has dropped I have looked into the new mod handling.
From my observations the current version 1.9 of ModMyFactory is compatible with Factorio 0.17, however you obviously don't get the multi-version support.

But here comes the problem. The new system that allows for multiple mod versions is not particularily well done atm. (don't know if it will even change). The ingame mod browser allows switching between different versions, however the selected version is not stored anywhere, with the next game restart the selection is reset to default. This also means I cannot read or manipulate the selection from MMF, so while I do indeed already have support for multiple versions in MMF I cannot actually start the game with a specific version. This makes MMF effectively less functional in 0.17 than in 0.16 (where switching between versions now works flawlessly in my dev builds).

I really hope this is getting adressed in later experimental releases. With the current system the only solution I see is to use the 0.16 system for 0.17 as well, which disables the ingame switching completely.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

1 question, will this update and copy mod-settings.dat file even after Factorio changes it? Make sure that in Factorio Other settings "Use different mod settings per save" is not selected.

(It allows you to change settings in the new game menu and apply it to ongoing games.) In my opinion the settings shouldn't be per save but per mod profile.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

I have a different, more elaborate settings system planned, but it will not be part of 1.10.

Return to “Mod and installation managers”