Friday Facts #283 - Prepare to Launch

Regular reports on Factorio development.
gaelyte
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #283 - Prepare to Launch

Post by gaelyte »

BlueTemplar wrote: ↑
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:38 pm
gaelyte wrote: ↑
Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:08 pm
Speaking of chests, why is their content destroyed when a chest s destroyed by a bitter ? I hardly see how they manage to destroy tousand stones with a few hits.
Because spilling thousands of items on the floor is messy, but especially, bad for performance !
But the bitters are messy and the items on my 25k belts (yes, it's a new game, only 66 hours) doesn't seem to affect the performances

SpleT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SpleT »

is there a way to start playing0.17 currently? some test patch or whatever

spinba11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by spinba11 »

^^0.17 IS the test patch.

SpleT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SpleT »

haha 😜 thats not my question :lol:

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by irbork »

leftofzen wrote: ↑
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:56 pm
Everything looks great except for the belts affecting biters change. I agree it was buggy/belts were OP previously, but now belts do nothing, they're useless. You need to find a middle ground where the belts slow the biters significantly, but not as much as previously. Judging by the GIF the belts are now useless. You yourself acknowledged this is emergent gameplay and you've effectively removed it.
They show how belts affect the fastest small biters, which are significantly faster than player. Red and blue betls will still be great against big bitters and behemoths. I think that they may be even more useful singe biters will not destroy them but will get separated.

And at last there will be no biters destroying random belts in the middle of your base just because they got stuck!

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by irbork »

Is the launch button's safety cover up. Will it be pressed today :?: :?: :?:

Aardwolf
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aardwolf »

"Better fluid physics" is an interesting feature I was looking forward to toy with. Any chance it'll still make it in one of the 0.17 patches, or will it be punted to 0.18?

cid0rz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by cid0rz »

I'm really starting to need to play .17, so much hard work and so many new surprises... I need to crash on that planet YOU HEAR MEEE!! :roll: :mrgreen: thx

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:24 pm
But the bitters are messy and the items on my 25k belts (yes, it's a new game, only 66 hours) doesn't seem to affect the performances
Items on belts are - how should I put it - optimized to a degree heretofore unseen by any sentient being in the universe.

gaelyte
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gaelyte »

5thHorseman wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:04 pm
Items on belts are - how should I put it - optimized to a degree heretofore unseen by any sentient being in the universe.
And why should the items on ground stay unoptimized ?

CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by CDarklock »

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:12 pm
Seems to me they have been; I mean, they stay right where they are REAL well.

Cyonic
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cyonic »

irbork wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:08 pm
Is the launch button's safety cover up. Will it be pressed today :?: :?: :?:
This is my day off and its passing agonizingly slowly due to repeated f5 presses with disappointing results lol.

gaelyte
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gaelyte »

CDarklock wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:14 pm
Seems to me they have been; I mean, they stay right where they are REAL well.
There is a difference between staying in the same place and staying in the same place and need no performances

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

5thHorseman wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:04 pm
Meh I'd rather they optimize things that matter.

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by irbork »

Cyonic wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:18 pm

This is my day off and its passing agonizingly slowly due to repeated f5 presses with disappointing results lol.
I would be happy enough with a simple statement: "no 0.17 today", at around noon time.

Cyonic
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cyonic »

irbork wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:54 pm
Cyonic wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:18 pm

I would be happy enough with a simple statement: "no 0.17 today", at around noon time.
Well, not actually happy but it would be more relaxing.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Well, I guess that, after thinking about it, red circuit-less Blue Science would still be better than what we have now...

I'd say that the stuff that should still be before it :
- (Pumpjacks, Refineries (obviously)), Solid Fuel
- Flamethrower (but NOT Flame Turret!)
A good start. The main idea is to keep green tech as green as possilble, and push blue to be the main oil tech. There's an enormous amount of oil stuff to cover, and it is enough material to deserve its own tier.
- Rocket : Exploding Rocket staying in Blue, otherwise they end up in the same tier !
The basic rocket requires explosives. Explosives require sulfur, and sulfur is oil tech. I'm not saying it can't be done, but the idea was to push oil tech behind blue science so that all the oil stuff can not be piled up in the middle of green science. Green science is big enough.

Basic rockets aren't anything special. Their recipe could replace explosives with solid fuel and it'd fit into a minimum-oil green tier. It would be a simple fuel based explosive and the overall cost would stay roughly the same. The HI-EX rocket can still keep explosive ingredients and stay in the oil tier.
- Maybe Accumulators and Laser Turrets ?
They would not fit in a minimal oil green tier. Lasers take batteries, and batteries work through most of the chemistry tech. That would place them very clearly in the oil chemistry tier, and towards the latter stages at that. Flame turrets do not require any fancy chemistry. It's a simple application of oil and fire, just like solid fuel. Solid fuel is the end goal of the modified green science, so it could fit at the end of green science, or around the beginning of oil science.
(Blue Science itself, is technologically split between before and after blurple circuits...)
Keep in mind that I'm not making the progression path any longer. You have to work through the progression path of oil as a matter of playing the game. The oil path exists. It's there. The only difference is that it's being relabeled as its own tier, because it pretty much is. The steps involved in getting and mastering oil push players into a new stage of the game. Just like how getting those first blurple circuits push players into the endgame.

The cost of getting there is fungible. 80 green science or 30 blue science, the overall cost in terms of raw resources has no real need to change. What does change is the perception and understanding of where oil tech exists in the progression path.

Starting the game, electricity and crafting would be red. Logistics, automation and full scale belting is green. Oil and chemistry is blue. And the stuff beyond that, is beyond that. There's still 4 more colors of science to fill in the blanks.
Last edited by bobucles on Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

LOL, people need to relax. they said "the week of Feb 25." Meaning this week. It might be Monday; it might be Friday. If anyone has followed their posts and statements, they would rather not release too late in the week to allow them time during "normal hours" of work to polish quick patches and tackle bug fixes from the major release. Just hang in there and we will have something to play with soon enough. :)

Heck, it will still be some time for them to claim a version of 0.17 stable. So, no hurry is needed. But the HYPE is real!

spinba11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by spinba11 »

Well said but the devs have said it won’t come out on Friday.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

sunnyskies wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:04 am
Yeah, I meant to make red circuits. I did. But… why would I make red circuits when I could make flamethrowers? :D
Ah those were the days! I remember making my first flamethrower, and making my husband come play so I could show him how it worked, because as we all know flamethrowers are really cool... And then I, well you see, I sort of... set the forest on fire... and then we couldn't run back to the base quickly enough (of course no cars or tanks yet)... and to make a long story short... we died.
Yes Smokey, I know, only I can prevent forest fires. Sigh.
My husband reminds me of this every time I want to show him something...

So thank you for sharing your stories, and may we all have many more to share with 0.17.
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

Return to β€œNews”